inviting unnecessary pressure on yourself?

ronnieronalde

Maybe he just wanted to collect his thoughts? Had a discussion with some of his backroom staff before talking to the the players. Does it really matter anyway? We were much improved in the second half and maybe deserved the win. Somethings the manager cannot help in football. One of them being luck. 

Now, that's the kind of reply I was hoping for. Thanks for not jumping straight in with an insult.

I didn't say he was wrong to do it, I said he's inviting unnecessary pressure on himself.

I 100% guarantee if we hadn't have got a point it WOULD have been brought up as a real talking point.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Give it a rest with that Leeds.

I mention Clough less than most on here and it's p-ing me off that you keep throwing out that cheap line.

I AM judging him on what happens on the pitch, so far he's got a 0% win percentage and he's done a couple of things that are out of the ordinary in my mind.

You have wrote a book about him, it was no dig, I'm pointing out that sometimes doing the norm is not the only way.

My reference to clough was that he often did things that so called experts  did not agree with, and he didn't do to bad at management did he.

You will be surprised just how little most managers say at half time team talks. The players will have gone in, had some time to self reflect and reflect among each other. That gives the manager time to also reflect and deliver a clear message. Going in and barking out orders like they are dogs does more damage than it does good.

The whole issue with the team sheet is the most bizarre thing I have ever heard from a fan criticizing a manager. Which is why I left it when it was brought up. People make mistakes. It's a small mistake. We all make dozens of them a day. You seem like you would have an issue with any manager. Next it will be he is stood on the touchline with his hand in his pocket...Ince has discipline problems because he has two lines shaved in the side of his head. 

You have wrote a book about him, it was no dig, I'm pointing out that sometimes doing the norm is not the only way.

My reference to clough was that he often did things that so called experts  did not agree with, and he didn't do to bad at management did he.

Again, he earned the right to behave that way through his results and by winning trophies. The same as Jose calling his wife. Jose can get away with pretty much anything cos he's proven  his methods work.

Do you remember the stick Clough took when he didn't give a team talk in extra time in the FA Cup final?

Not wanting to brag about it. But I have played at Sunday League level. All right, calm down - form an orderly queue.

From these lofty heights of unprofessional football, I can say from experience that the players will have wanted to exchange a few words with each other about how the goal was conceded. This is natural, and Paul Clement knows this.

Our manager will say nothing at all during half time, and just leave us to sort it out ourselves. Tactical genius.

TL:DR ... Who cares? Whatever he said seemed to work. Impressive second half.

You will be surprised just how little most managers say at half time team talks. The players will have gone in, had some time to self reflect and reflect among each other. That gives the manager time to also reflect and deliver a clear message. Going in and barking out orders like they are dogs does more damage than it does good.

The whole issue with the team sheet is the most bizarre thing I have ever heard from a fan criticizing a manager. Which is why I left it when it was brought up. People make mistakes. It's a small mistake. We all make dozens of them a day. You seem like you would have an issue with any manager. Next it will be he is stood on the touchline with his hand in his pocket...Ince has discipline problems because he has two lines shaved in the side of his head. 

I wouldn't be surprised at all. I've sat next to one of the greatest managers in the game while he's gone into the dressing room at half time and blasted out a frank sinatra tune.

Nothing would surprise me.

I've heard a lot of Paul's interviews, probably all of them since the beginning of the season and he talks a lot about analysing the players performance and analysing the players characters.

If some are naive enough to think it won't be happening the other way around, then fair enough.

The players will be analysing him as well, rightly or wrongly it happens. They'll be looking for strong leadership, they'll be watching his every move, they need to be convinced in him as much as him in them.

In my opinion it was a move that could have backfired.

Fair enough if you ALL think I'm wrong, there's nowt I can do about it. But to pass it off as drivel or to insult me for posting it in the first place is a bit rich. 

As for having an issue cos he's on the touchline with his hands in his pockets, never, a managers job is to be on the touchline. The Ince comment is just pure garbage and I won't bother responding to that. The issue with the team sheet, as I've alluded to already, Mark Halsey has NEVER SEEN that happen once in his entire career at ANY LEVEL.

You don't care about it, fine, I do.

Come on Phil, that's harsh.

Why is it drivel? The sky commentators made the same comment and observation, Higginbottom AND Holloway agreed it was strange and that the players might be wondering why he hadn't gone straight in, you can be sure if we didn't get that second half goal, it would have been discussed again.

I just think it was an unnecessary risk he didn't need to take.

Yeah, was a bit harsh, soz mate, just think there's bigger fish to fry than to worry about a missing 292 seconds or whatever it was, maybe PC was having a poo?

I think you are guilty of looking for issues that don't exist. In this instance, Clement has shown control. He hasn't lost the plot and gone crazy, he hasn't demanded a team talk on the pitch. It was obviously a calculated move for reasons a poster has stated above. I think Clement has an air of confidence and control about him and I think it is quite clear he is the boss, not pally pally like McClaren, has he referred to any player with the dreaded y extension yet? And in this instance you are judging him on a what if, which is unfair.

I took a bit of stick for the team sheet saga with many telling me I'm looking for issues that don't exist. Strangely I got a different reaction when I asked none Derby County fans, almost to a man they agree it was unprofessional and worrying.

Still I understand the protective blanket you're all throwing over Paul in his first few weeks.

Little things used to nark me about Steve, for example having a coffee during the game, not coming back out for the first five minutes of the second hald or missing the first few minutes of the game while he took up his position next to Sam in the stands. It used to drive me mental.

Now, it worked out ok for Paul tonight, the team came back and fully deserved the point. Derby were the better side, even though Birmingham deserved their point as well.

But can anyone explain to me why the manager waited 4 minutes and 52 seconds of the 15 minute break before going in to deliver his team talk. He's not won a game, his selections have been "quirky", the team sheet saga is careless at best and now he's decided to play mind games with the lads by not going in straight away, it could have badly backfired.

It didn't, the same as the team sheet issue isn't an issue.

Little things planting little doubts, you can get away with that if you've won your first few games but if you haven't won a match it's little things like this that will be noted.. you can tell me I'm harsh to be noting them but he's a rookie manager and I want my rookie managers to show experience, not to do weird things that make me worried about whether he's fully in control.

I wonder if he wanted the players to think about what was wrong in the first half?

Just a thought. I know at £20K per week they can't be expected to think for themselves....

I feel sorry for the guy who times it, why not just say 5 minutes?

I hope you do realise it wasn't me who timed it. Nor was it me who brought it up on national television.

I just mentioned it on here.

Doesn't massively surprise me the reaction I get, fans are generally protective of their own manager. I took some horrible stick for ever daring to say Steve wasn't the messiah reborn. My likes ratio for 3 months went right down the swanny, funnily enough from round about March it picked back up and I was saying exactly the same thing Id been saying for 6 months before that.

I don't enjoy getting stick for speaking my mind but then I dish a bit out so I've got to be ready to take it back ;-)

I was very impressed with our second-half performance, but then again, I went. To say that our midfield has been decimated by injury over the first 3 games of the season, and that we were playing our third game in six days whereas Birmingham had had the luxury of no midweek game, I thought that most Derby players did very well indeed, and we were decidedly unlucky not to come away with all three points, after hitting the woodwork three times and having had a number of other near misses.

That's all I'm going to bother posting tonight. The nay-sayers will continue to whine and look for ANY excuse to point the finger at the head coach, so I'm going to have a nice little break from it, otherwise I will say something I will (possibly) regret.

I wouldn't be surprised at all. I've sat next to one of the greatest managers in the game while he's gone into the dressing room at half time and blasted out a frank sinatra tune.

Nothing would surprise me.

I've heard a lot of Paul's interviews, probably all of them since the beginning of the season and he talks a lot about analysing the players performance and analysing the players characters.

If some are naive enough to think it won't be happening the other way around, then fair enough.

The players will be analysing him as well, rightly or wrongly it happens. They'll be looking for strong leadership, they'll be watching his every move, they need to be convinced in him as much as him in them.

In my opinion it was a move that could have backfired.

Fair enough if you ALL think I'm wrong, there's nowt I can do about it. But to pass it off as drivel or to insult me for posting it in the first place is a bit rich. 

As for having an issue cos he's on the touchline with his hands in his pockets, never, a managers job is to be on the touchline. The Ince comment is just pure garbage and I won't bother responding to that. The issue with the team sheet, as I've alluded to already, Mark Halsey has NEVER SEEN that happen once in his entire career at ANY LEVEL.

You don't care about it, fine, I do.

Let it go. You are just looking for problems. 

What occurred with the team sheet anyway, have I missed something?

On Tuesday Chris Baird was listed to play full back and midfield on the team sheet that went into the ref.

There's some uncertainty as to who wrote it out or who handed it in but Baird was in the first 11 twice.

Not unprofessional, not careless and of course a non issue and a massive over reaction from me.

where all entitled to our opinions -  but i do get the feeling that some posters go out of the way to be antagonistic ( may i hasten to add  just a very small select few )   ,  But whenever people post irrespective of the topic  where all there to be shot at , some agree with said poster some dont  -  nature of the beast   :thumbsup:

On Tuesday Chris Baird was listed to play full back and midfield on the team sheet that went into the ref.

There's some uncertainty as to who wrote it out or who handed it in but Baird was in the first 11 twice.

Not unprofessional, not careless and of course a non issue and a massive over reaction from me.

I would say it was a tad unprofessional and careless, but probably a non-issue in the whole scheme of things

Where was ths reported/how did you come by this info? I haven't heard anything about it, other than what you have put up. 

Archived