inviting unnecessary pressure on yourself?

ronnieronalde

I took a bit of stick for the team sheet saga with many telling me I'm looking for issues that don't exist. Strangely I got a different reaction when I asked none Derby County fans, almost to a man they agree it was unprofessional and worrying.

Still I understand the protective blanket you're all throwing over Paul in his first few weeks.

Little things used to nark me about Steve, for example having a coffee during the game, not coming back out for the first five minutes of the second hald or missing the first few minutes of the game while he took up his position next to Sam in the stands. It used to drive me mental.

Now, it worked out ok for Paul tonight, the team came back and fully deserved the point. Derby were the better side, even though Birmingham deserved their point as well.

But can anyone explain to me why the manager waited 4 minutes and 52 seconds of the 15 minute break before going in to deliver his team talk. He's not won a game, his selections have been "quirky", the team sheet saga is careless at best and now he's decided to play mind games with the lads by not going in straight away, it could have badly backfired.

It didn't, the same as the team sheet issue isn't an issue.

Little things planting little doubts, you can get away with that if you've won your first few games but if you haven't won a match it's little things like this that will be noted.. you can tell me I'm harsh to be noting them but he's a rookie manager and I want my rookie managers to show experience, not to do weird things that make me worried about whether he's fully in control.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come on Phil, that's harsh.

Why is it drivel? The sky commentators made the same comment and observation, Higginbottom AND Holloway agreed it was strange and that the players might be wondering why he hadn't gone straight in, you can be sure if we didn't get that second half goal, it would have been discussed again.

I just think it was an unnecessary risk he didn't need to take.

What pisses me off the most about this is the exact nature of "4 minutes and 52 seconds". Like some sneak with a stopwatch was round the corner observing.

Nothing wrong with it at all, give them a chance to settle and calm down and digest the first half and their own frustrations. Maybe have a chat with each other, give the dressing room leaders a chance to say their bit, I imagine Baird had a few things to say himself. But most important is letting them sit down and relax first, otherwise they're not going to listen to you, they're still caught up in the emotion of the first half.

Have to say ronnie -this is weird.

Not interesting or clever weird -just serial killer/stalker weird.

(Sorry - I do agree with quite a few of your opinions.)

I don't mind weird. I don't like serial killer weird :-)

So, a point that is discussed on national TV by football people, during the half time interval and cos I've decided to post it on here there are 3 or 4 who jump in to have a pop.

Drivel, serial killer stalking and give it a ******** rest.

Christ I'd hate to see the reaction if I posted something really nasty.

Maybe he just wanted to collect his thoughts? Had a discussion with some of his backroom staff before talking to the the players. Does it really matter anyway? We were much improved in the second half and maybe deserved the win. Somethings the manager cannot help in football. One of them being luck. 

now he's decided to play mind games with the lads by not going in straight away, it could have badly backfired

but it didn't, it had the opposite effect? so I don't know what your issue is?

he's a rookie manager and I want my rookie managers to show experience

what?? 

Had his name been clough you would have called him a tactical genius.  

Judge him on what happens on the pitch not off.

Give it a rest with that Leeds.

I mention Clough less than most on here and it's p-ing me off that you keep throwing out that cheap line.

I AM judging him on what happens on the pitch, so far he's got a 0% win percentage and he's done a couple of things that are out of the ordinary in my mind.

I don't mind weird. I don't like serial killer weird :-)

So, a point that is discussed on national TV by football people, during the half time interval and cos I've decided to post it on here there are 3 or 4 who jump in to have a pop.

Drivel, serial killer stalking and give it a ******** rest.

Christ I'd hate to see the reaction if I posted something really nasty.

i think you've overreacted there, fella...

Give it a rest with that Leeds.

I mention Clough less than most on here and it's p-ing me off that you keep throwing out that cheap line.

I AM judging him on what happens on the pitch, so far he's got a 0% win percentage and he's done a couple of things that are out of the ordinary in my mind.

In this case he's also never lost a game in his management career

Archived