Andre Gray

matty1

Both are very capable of Premier League football, without a doubt. Odubajo is a serious talent. 

I don't understand Curtains' argument about him being more of an out-and-out goalscorer than Martin and Bent. Sure, you could argue the Martin case, but he's far, far, far less proven than Darren Bent and if he's to have 1/3rd of his career then he will have done bloody good for himself.

Bent is the 22nd highest goalscorer in Premier League history, and is just one goal away from 200 in all competitions. 

He also scored just 6 Championship goals less than Gray last season, despite playing in 30 fewer games. Martin also scored more than him last season, despite his injury problems, so there is also an argument that is also wrong.

Gray is a fantastic player, don't get me wrong, but he wouldn't improve what we already have. We can only put a certain amount of bodies on the pitch and his presence would knock someone equally as capable IMO. 

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure, you could argue the Martin case, 

Martin also scored more than him last season, despite his injury problems, so there is also an argument that is also wrong.

As made clear in my previous posts I also think Martin and Bent are better...

However I think actually Martin IS a better goalscorer than Gray and has better stats over not just one... but 2 champs seasons... compare Gray last season to either of Martin's full seasons for us and Martin looks better...

I think we get distracted by the fact that Martin has so much MORE to his game than goals... He's NOT JUST a goalscorer... however if all he did was score goals he'd STILL be an impressive goalscorer!

That is ridiculous if true.

if someone came in for Martin, what would your value be ? I would think as he is vital to our set up, and we done need to sell, we would be in the same ball park figure.

Brentford obviously don't want to sell, so it's up to the buyer to either meet the price or go elsewhere.....nice to see a little club not being bullied into selling :-)

if someone came in for Martin, what would your value be ? I would think as he is vital to our set up, and we done need to sell, we would be in the same ball park figure.

Brentford obviously don't want to sell, so it's up to the buyer to either meet the price or go elsewhere.....nice to see a little club not being bullied into selling :-)

Supposedly Swansea inquired about Martin and we told them £10m. No actual evidence of that of course. To Brentford, losing Gray might sentence them to mid-table mediocrity, so that's worth £10m to them and rightly so.

Totally agree Leeds Ram, fair play to Brentford. If it means asking for a higher price to improve club finances then good on them but would you agree that their valuation of a player, who's had one good season in the championship, a bit high?

Who decides how much a player is worth .

It's an agreement between the selling club and the buying club .

Its called market forces. 

Gray has his price and it depends on club needs I'd say. 

Players tend to go for more  in January when clubs are more desperate. 

Totally agree Leeds Ram, fair play to Brentford. If it means asking for a higher price to improve club finances then good on them but would you agree that their valuation of a player, who's had one good season in the championship, a bit high?

If I held the purse strings at Derby, then I would agree with you, that it appears to be over inflated to say the least.

I haven't seen enough of him to comment on his playing ability, but comparing to other players that are proven if the premier league, that go for less, it's a high figure to say the least.  

I have seen him play at Luton when they were non league. I suppose this only has limited value as a reference, but what he has that is different from Bent and Martin is pace. He is strong and really quick. That makes him a great championship striker but as others have said he doesn't really improve on what we have. Bent is a goal scorer par excellence A Wiley fox who lacks a little pace simply because of his age. Martin is strong and clever. Both can finish well, if either of them had a turn of speed they would be dynamite ( as Bent was in his pomp ) IF Grey could develop the rest of his game to go with his speed and willingness to have a pop then he would be an 8 million pound player but can he do that .. 8 million is what mid table prem teams pay for a striker... The key indicator is are any mid table prem teams chasing Grey ? 

If Brentford have accepted £3.5m for Odubajo, then Hull were trying to get Gray for £5.5m..

Clearly Hull want more. I don't think we'd be in for him at this stage, neither do I think we should be, especially if that price isn't good enough.

I think we're far more likely to be getting a loan in to cover any striker injuries - but that won't happen until clubs have confirmed their 25-man squads, which is usually September time.

Andre Gray scored again today to get Brentford right back in it as  they came back from 2 down against Ipswich to grab a draw late on. 

Get him signed up. 

And never play him? Let it go, he'd cost too much to probably not even make the bench. We could do with another striker but not for that much.

Archived