Andre Gray

matty1

Surely too all then people saying they wouldn't pay "x" amount for "x" because "he's not worth that " or " today's prices are so over inflated " is all relevant ! It's all 1 big circle , if Brentford get £8 million for gray , then it gives them a daft amount to replace him with , then the team they buy off will have more to spend and so on and on ......

Sure some clubs are going to spend more money , but haven't they always ??? 

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely too all then people saying they wouldn't pay "x" amount for "x" because "he's not worth that " or " today's prices are so over inflated " is all relevant ! It's all 1 big circle , if Brentford get £8 million for gray , then it gives them a daft amount to replace him with , then the team they buy off will have more to spend and so on and on ......

Sure some clubs are going to spend more money , but haven't they always ??? 

It's only relevent between the two teams though, not the market as a whole.

For example, Torres went to Chelsea for 50m, Liverpool bought Carroll for 35m, no one else thought either player worth that amount.

25m for Torres, 10m for Carroll may have seen the money filter through the market, but at those prices other clubs left them to it, knowing both teams had overpaid.

At 9m for Gray, I'm pretty sure Brentford would sit on the profit, rather than spunk it on replacements!

It's only relevent between the two teams though, not the market as a whole.

For example, Torres went to Chelsea for 50m, Liverpool bought Carroll for 35m, no one else thought either player worth that amount.

25m for Torres, 10m for Carroll may have seen the money filter through the market, but at those prices other clubs left them to it, knowing both teams had overpaid.

At 9m for Gray, I'm pretty sure Brentford would sit on the profit, rather than spunk it on replacements!

I'm not saying it's all going to get spent,  but when they do by a replacement which they will,  weather it be someone from league 1 2 etc etc ... there going to be more money a player that was last season was perhaps worth £500 k is now going to be going for £2 million it's just the market and how it becomes over inflated ! 

Curtains you're weird. What the hell has Andy Cole got to do with Bristol City trying to buy Gray?

The amount is ludicrous. He was barely heard of 12 months ago and now after scoring some 18 goals in the Championship he's now worth 9million. 

If there is one thing that's in Bristol City's favour, today's market suggests that if they splash out a stupid amount in him, they can always recoup their money because someone just as stupid will pay that sort of rate.

Blackburn potentially making a profit on Jordan Rhodes proves that.

But still, Bristol City were in League One last season and they certainly don't come across as the sort of team which you'd want to play for. Under Steve Cotterril they're hardly a fluent attacking team or tipped to go up.

Bris, they WERE renowned for their fluent attacking style last season, they pretty much out attacked the whole division, even this year, they've been out footballing and outplaying the opposition creating chance after chance but not converting. I can see exactly why they went for Gayle, less so Gray cos I don't think he's as good a finisher as Gayle is.

You might be the guru when it comes to spanish/mexican/world football, but I'd hazard a guess you know very little about league one or Bristol City's style of play.

Now Steve Cotteril being a bit of a charlie, I'll give you that.

Bris, they WERE renowned for their fluent attacking style last season, they pretty much out attacked the whole division, even this year, they've been out footballing and outplaying the opposition creating chance after chance but not converting. I can see exactly why they went for Gayle, less so Gray cos I don't think he's as good a finisher as Gayle is.

You might be the guru when it comes to spanish/mexican/world football, but I'd hazard a guess you know very little about league one or Bristol City's style of play.

Now Steve Cotteril being a bit of a charlie, I'll give you that.

Steady on Ronnie. They created very little against Sheffield Wednesday and were thoroughly beaten by Brentford. Against Leeds they created a hatful, but how much was that down to Leeds' mentality after going ahead?

I know they scored plenty of goals on League One, but the Championship is an entirely different ball game and Steve Cotterill is a renowned defensive-minded manager at this level.

His teams have always battled, but not once looked like promotion material. Brentford are clearly a better team and a more attacking team. It's no wonder Gray turned the deal down, it's a step down for him at this moment in time.

Even if they got Gray or Gayle, with Cotterill in charge they'll be nowehere near the playoffs. 

This isn't a dig by the way, but he's a Nigel Clough type manager. He's good for sorting a club out and steering them away from relegation, but the Championship playoffs is a level beyond them.

If he gets sacked by Bristol, if I was Rotherham's owner with ambitions of consolidation in the 2nd tier, I'd sack Evans and hire him in a flash - or get Clough in for that matter.

Wtf??!!??!!??!

£9M on someone who scores a few and has a funky name. If it was us in for him i'd question the logic as its about 6.5M too much. End of.

I'd actually say over £8m too much. When I first saw the price I thought they'd mistakenly put and extra zero on it. His finishing's no better than Sammon. How mad is the Championship at the moment as a place to shop? Trippier for £8m is beginning to look a bargain!

they were 2-1 up against Brentford and playing some lovely stuff, then Freeman got sent off after 35 minutes and Brentford took advantage of that.

They scored 3 goals or more in 20 games last season, including scoring 8, 6 and two lots of 4. They were brilliant to watch and really refreshing in their style.

At championship level their issue isn't creativity, it's having someone to finish off the moves. Last season they had Smith on loan who got 13 in 16 for them,  they had Agard and Wilbraham as well as their centre half Flint banging in 14 and they were far too good for League One sides, Cotterill clearly believes they're a striker short.

They've seemingly lost their momentum, which so many promoted league one sides carry into the championship but they may feel they're just one piece of the jigsaw missing.

I don't rate Gray that highly, having watched him miss chance after chance and I  know where you're coming from when you say it's not the most glamorous of moves, but to rubbish their style of football under Cotterill is a statement too far.

* I'm adding a little PS, they're really missing our Frankie as well, they've brought Hamer in on loan and he's cost them a couple of goals as well as conceding a ridiculously stupid penalty against Leeds. 

they were 2-1 up against Brentford and playing some lovely stuff, then Freeman got sent off after 35 minutes and Brentford took advantage of that.

They scored 3 goals or more in 20 games last season, including scoring 8, 6 and two lots of 4. They were brilliant to watch and really refreshing in their style.

At championship level their issue isn't creativity, it's having someone to finish off the moves. Last season they had Smith on loan who got 13 in 16 for them,  they had Agard and Wilbraham as well as their centre half Flint banging in 14 and they were far too good for League One sides, Cotterill clearly believes they're a striker short.

They've seemingly lost their momentum, which so many promoted league one sides carry into the championship but they may feel they're just one piece of the jigsaw missing.

I don't rate Gray that highly, having watched him miss chance after chance and I  know where you're coming from when you say it's not the most glamorous of moves, but to rubbish their style of football under Cotterill is a statement too far.

* I'm adding a little PS, they're really missing our Frankie as well, they've brought Hamer in on loan and he's cost them a couple of goals as well as conceding a ridiculously stupid penalty against Leeds. 

I didn't want to rubbish their form or style of play last season. But there is a notable difference between League One and the Championship, especially with the money and budgets now available to some teams.

I just don't think of Bristol City as a freeflowing team. Excellent attacking teams are largely due to team style rather than the capabilities one or two players, I don't think Gray would add much especially for 9m.

Time will tell whether Bristol City prove me wrong, but for now, I just think they'll become an average Championship team who will survive under Cotterill nothing more.

We've seen plenty of teams reach the Championship scoring loads of goas in League One and immediately struggling. Peterbrough spring to mind. Rotherham scored 86 en route to promotion.

Archived