Gaming

SaintRam

I hadn't realised this topic had taken a tabletop turn.

I'm not a boardgame guy, but I'm a player and DM in D&D. Mostly played online (roll20.net) but played the odd in-person game. Most of them when I was in New Orleans.

Wouldn't be adverse to starting a group local to Derby though ;) 

On 1/20/2018 at 01:40, Lambchop said:

Let us know if you do!

Aye I will.

I've not done owt like organising a group of that sort before. Always just been friends and one of them has had a table big enough in their house to play :D 

I'll look into it though.

Anyway who fancies volunteering their mansion's dining room is more than welcome to.

17 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

As we are on a tabletop tangent do we have any 40k players in here? Worth a punt.

a LONG time ago.

I didn't have the space (or money tbf) to keep a collection and have never got back into it. I know a great deal about it mind, maintained Warhammer fandom, just through video games.

• 2 weeks later...

I've started a monthly Games Board evening with my Dad, brother and son last year - an excuse to get together in a pub midway between our houses as much as anything.

We have mainly played games from my brother and my childhoods where possible and they have ranged between great and interesting, the games played so far have been.

Kevin Keegan's Matchday

Emlyn Hughes' Team Tactix

Terry Venables' Manager

A Gary Lineker games that my brother got of the internet and was so complicated you needed Steven Hawkins involved.

Bucanneer (A pirate game)

Astron (A space game from the 50s).

Any suggestions?

As you all know with regards myself, I’m a gambling addict..... but I’m a bit out the loop with loot boxes..... and esports gambling. Any of you guys explain a bit to me please? Gambling commission seem to be talking about this a lot lately.

30 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

As you all know with regards myself, I’m a gambling addict..... but I’m a bit out the loop with loot boxes..... and esports gambling. Any of you guys explain a bit to me please? Gambling commission seem to be talking about this a lot lately.

I think it’s where a group of people play online video games, put money in a pot and the winner takes all. Ie. Most kills on call of duty, winning a FIFA tournament, etc... could be way off the mark though 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I think it’s where a group of people play online video games, put money in a pot and the winner takes all. Ie. Most kills on call of duty, winning a FIFA tournament, etc... could be way off the mark though 

1 hour ago, Mafiabob said:

In a number of games you receive a "loot box" for winning a game or you can purchase loot boxes either with real or ingame money. You then open this loot box ingame and receive a random "reward" such as new character skins, new weapons, new abilities, etc - its kind of like a slot machine except you win something everytime (even if the prize is crap). In games such as Star Wars Battlefront 2 you would have to grind for hours and hours to be able to get these rewards legit without putting real world money in.

Esports gambling is just the same as for football, etc I imagine - placing bets on winners and whatnot.

On 2/3/2018 at 10:04, Mafiabob said:

I could further expand on the posts above, but I will not do so as eloquently as one Jim Sterling would, and he's got a number of videos on loot boxes and microtansactions. 

I know you're mainly interested in the gambling take (video 3 is entirely about the gambling commission getting interested) but there is a lot of shady **** going on at the moment with games industry. 

Please excuse the language in the title of the third video.

3 hours ago, SaintRam said:

I could further expand on the posts above, but I will not do so as eloquently as one Jim Sterling would, and he's got a number of videos on loot boxes and microtansactions. 

I know you're mainly interested in the gambling take (video 3 is entirely about the gambling commission getting interested) but there is a lot of shady **** going on at the moment with games industry. 

Please excuse the language in the title of the third video.

Jim Sterling nails so much of what I feel about the games industry these days. 

22 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

He’s just been gloating about a dev being sacked for identifying as an attack helicopter.

The mans been long established as a total ****.

Is he a bit of a knob? Of course. That doesn't mean a lot of what he says about the business practices of the likes of EA aren't right (in my view at least).

Ahhh loot boxes. 

Little Jimmy watches his favourite YouTuber open 50 boxes and unlocks a bunch of skins, Jimmy begs mum to let him have some money to get a skin as all his mates have one. Jimmy opens 50 boxes and get's duplicate common skins he already had.

Devastated by his box opening little Jimmy heads over to Twitch to watch his favourite streamer play, on the screen fans names being lit up like a Christmas tree as they donate their mum and dads money, the top donator shown at the bottom of the screen, can you outbid him and get your name there on screen for thousands of viewers to see for 5 minutes.

Jimmy Jimmy, why don't you also subscribe whilst you're here, you get a bunch of emojis to use in the chat, your name will show in a different colour and everyone will know you're a super fan.

These kids are literally turning people playing video games into millionaires, genuine millionaires driving Lamborghini's. It's mind boggling it really is.