Gaming

SaintRam

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, cannable said:

Supposedly 100,000 Battlefront 2 pre-orders have been cancelled in protest at the micro transactions present in the game.

It was set so to unlock Darth Vader you'd have to spend around 40 hours playing. Then another 40 to unlock Luke Skywalker! That would take me all year. 

One of the dev's defending it on Reddit received the most downvoted comment on Reddit history apparently, something like 400,000 downvotes.

To be fair EA listened and reduced the amount of points you need to unlock stuff by 75%.

One of the dev's received 7 death threats, and as terrible as that is it's now being used as a kind of victim currency to justify saying how awful gamers having negative feedback is. Reminds me of mass effect 3.

EA reduced the amount of points you need to unlock the heroes, what they didn't publicize was the fact they also reduced the amount of points you get as a reward from each match.

Regardless of if they walk it back they still demonstrated their intention to design games not around the game itself, but the possibilities to monetise the content within them. I don't mind that on a free to play game but on a full price release it is greedy and I will no longer purchase any full price game with loot box microtransactions in it. That is the only way to counter this sort of absolute arseholery.

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

16 hours ago, StringerBell said:

It was set so to unlock Darth Vader you'd have to spend around 40 hours playing. Then another 40 to unlock Luke Skywalker! That would take me all year. 

One of the dev's defending it on Reddit received the most downvoted comment on Reddit history apparently, something like 400,000 downvotes.

To be fair EA listened and reduced the amount of points you need to unlock stuff by 75%.

One of the dev's received 7 death threats, and as terrible as that is it's now being used as a kind of victim currency to justify saying how awful gamers having negative feedback is. Reminds me of mass effect 3.

Currently sat at 680,000 downvotes, and one of the devs is supposedly doing an AMA (ask me anything) on the site tomorrow. 

I must admit I don't play enough anymore to get angry about this whole Loot crate and micro transaction stuff, but I can see how people get upset over it.

44 minutes ago, mrdave85 said:

Currently sat at 680,000 downvotes, and one of the devs is supposedly doing an AMA (ask me anything) on the site tomorrow. 

I must admit I don't play enough anymore to get angry about this whole Loot crate and micro transaction stuff, but I can see how people get upset over it.

I feel for the devs though, they didn't make the decision to include the rubbish, that comes from EA who are in the business of making money for their shareholders.

I understand them trying to maximise profits, what I don't understand is why they so pathetically try and mask it as 'player choice'. The sooner people understand exactly what EA, Activision, Ubisoft etc are doing they can make an informed choice. If you still want to play the games and spend the money crack on, at least you know up front that is the deal. Personally, there are enough other good games out there that don't pull this crap for me to opt out.

2 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I feel for the devs though, they didn't make the decision to include the rubbish, that comes from EA who are in the business of making money for their shareholders.

I understand them trying to maximise profits, what I don't understand is why they so pathetically try and mask it as 'player choice'. The sooner people understand exactly what EA, Activision, Ubisoft etc are doing they can make an informed choice. If you still want to play the games and spend the money crack on, at least you know up front that is the deal. Personally, there are enough other good games out there that don't pull this crap for me to opt out.

True but why are they all getting into bed with EA to begin with?

Respawn entertainment another one to come under EA yesterday (and making another Star Wars game). 

Edited by StringerBell

14 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

True but why are they all getting into bed with EA to begin with?

Respawn entertainment another one to come under EA yesterday (and making another Star Wars game). 

The perception of security maybe? Although at the rate EA kills off studios I wouldn't be so sure. I was particularly surprised by Respawn as they are guys that worked on Call of Duty at Activision and ended up leaving, I wouldn't have thought they would be so keen to put themselves back under the control of one of the big boys.

Money talks I guess, the move will have made the decision makers very rich I would imagine.

48 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

The perception of security maybe? Although at the rate EA kills off studios I wouldn't be so sure. I was particularly surprised by Respawn as they are guys that worked on Call of Duty at Activision and ended up leaving, I wouldn't have thought they would be so keen to put themselves back under the control of one of the big boys.

Money talks I guess, the move will have made the decision makers very rich I would imagine.

Titanfall was being published by EA anyway, so clinging onto hope nothing changes.

2 hours ago, Srg said:

EA removed the button for a refund off their website to make you call too.

God they're shitty - no wonder they won worst company in the US twice in a row.

But hey, you all still bought FIFA.

And Mass Effect, UFC, Dragon Age, NFL, Battlefield :p

I'd do it again, too! 

17 hours ago, Alpha said:

Download the option files and you have a fully licenced Pes anyway. 

Which is better than fifa. Well, offline gameplay anyway.

and it's not even close this year.

Just a shame we can't do that on xbox - but it's still better to play, and that's more important for me.