Ashley Ward - Remember him?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very good player for us for a couple of years. A bit of a Martin figure in terms of his technique and hold up play (and he came from Norwich!), bringing others into the game, but not as lethal when it came to finishing. But at the time he was what we needed and improved us.

Calling his daughter Darby was just before he signed and apparently he got a lot of stick for it in the Norwich dressing room.

Was it Ashley Ward who didn't  score at Wembley ! Seemed to remove his leg and turn it into a hockey stick at the vital moment.. Or is my brain completely scrambled??  Jim Smith seemed to rate him because of his looks? Didn't he play at right back too ?  Seem to remember that his avoidance of a tackle there finally flipped Jim into  yanking  him off never to play for us again.      The rumour was that his wife was a better player than he was...................   Americans?

Harkes now hear

He called his daughter Darby, that's good enough for me.

Wasn't that bad throughout his career, Norwich, Barnsley, Blackburn, Bradford but didn't get much of a chance with Wanchope and Sturridge finding the net.

Well you wouldnt call your daughter Barnsley would you lol!!!

I think he got his 1st goal in a loss at West Brom, last game of the season. The lost didn't matter because we beat Palace a week before in the "roar until your raw " game. It was a great atmosphere at the hawthorn's, a sea of black n white , i was at the very top looking down . Fond memory that .

Archived