Northampton Town vs Derby County

Duracell

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So here's my thoughts after today's friendly:

Defensively - no real test, the jury is still out.

Positives - Ince looked sharp, Martin looked a stone lighter than last season, Thorne got a few more miles in his legs and Weimann could be a good addition.

Negatives - Bent, Warnock

My highlight of the day, if Sammon scores we're on the pitch!  Two stewards came and stood in front of the Derby support, the other six never moved from the hot dog stall and finished off their mugs of tea........canny buggers these Cobbler stewards!

My highlight of the day, if Sammon scores we're on the pitch!  Two stewards came and stood in front of the Derby support, the other six never moved from the hot dog stall and finished off their mugs of tea........canny buggers these Cobbler stewards!

They do say that mockery is the best form of support.

Those hot dogs were absolutely dreadful.

I went to the match today and interesting to read the comments from people who were there. We all see the play differently depending on our favourites and not-so-favourites so these are just my views.

I am used to friendlies being played without intensity but obviously Paul Clement isn't! 

I  thought the defence was very competent first half and Keogh looked sharp but his mistake for the penalty later is his usual 'one per game' - one too many for a player who is otherwise very good. Christie struggled at the start but grew into the game, as did Hendrick who when he did get going looked strong. Weimann I thought did a little more than people have suggested - sometimes lacked another player to see what he was trying to do. I would like to see him in the same team as Martin. Hughes wasn't very effective overall but still showed good touches. Bent - didn't really look interested. Russell good all round  - most threatening in attack and I felt he did a fair bit of tracking back to support Christie too - easily man of that half. 

Second half was difficult because the substitutions broke up the play too much. Good to see Grant handling well and making good saves. Thorne still off the pace but looked ok. I'm sorry but I don't see the point of Warnock or Shotton and I did have a little sympathy for Keogh having to cope with two different defences.

Ince was sharp and maybe should have shot himself once rather than play the ball over to Sammon. What can you say about Sammon that hasn't been said before? He got into some great positions and was involved in a lot of Derby's good build up play but you just know he's going to blow his chances. The crowd don't help with their sarcastic cheering of his every move. 

Martin - great to see him on the pitch, won a typical free kick and made one great run - I  expect him to get back to his best quickly now. Bryson was lively going forward.  Not sure about a man of the second half - I would maybe share it between Ince and Grant.

Enjoyed the sunshine and the good turnout but we were very quiet overall today - maybe we need to up our intensity too!

Blimey, I remember the days when the swear filter on here wouldn't let you see the word Ssausagehorpe in full, how times change. :)

we must have had to turn it off when we signed Ssewankambo.

It would be nice to see a plan B during pre season. Maybe the 442 diamond and put Bent and Weimann up top and see how they do as a duo

According to Nicholson we played a diamond in the 2nd half with Martin and Russell up top and Ince behind them. We played better in the 2nd than in the 1st, but I'm not sure if that was down to formation change or the introduction of Martin and Ince

Bennett was an unused sub for the U21s yesterday. Either he's nursing an injury or he's slipping down the pecking order fast

Incorrect wasn't in the squad yesterday at all.

Archived