Northampton Town vs Derby County

Duracell

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pearce - 6. Looks a solid defender, no Beckebauer playing out from the back, but he looks at least as good as Whitbread, possibly better.

That's good news if true, for i rated Whitbread

i like Clement's reaction after the game, some would have made excuses for the players

@SNicholsonDT hearing from a friend that clement walked into dugout after 18 minutes shaking his head saying can't believe what I'm watching

Did he ***** say that

well it looks as if he probably did.

What do we make of Clement coming out and having a dig at the team like that after a pre-season friendly? Maybe he was right I didn't see the whole game but it seems a bit odd.

I was there and they deserved criticism. Defensively we looked OK but in possession we were poor. Movement, tempo and effort were missing. These are about attitude not ability

The highlight of the match for me was Sammon. His little lay off header from the penalty spot which should have been headed goalwards, his attempt at goal from an acute angle when Martin was free, somehow managed to keep the ball in from the by line via his arse and of course, missing that last minute sitter. It was pure Sammon.

Other than that, crap game and crap atmosphere.

What do we make of Clement coming out and having a dig at the team like that after a pre-season friendly? Maybe he was right I didn't see the whole game but it seems a bit odd.

He was quite right to tell them that today's performance wasn't good enough. It was awful at times.

Carson 6 - Didn't have a shot to save. Caught crosses well, kicking was somewhere between dreadful and abject.

Christie - 4 Caught in possession several times, poor decision making and positioning.

Forsyth  - 6 Solid defensively, got forward well, crossing/passing inconsistent

Keogh - 6 Usual arm waving and last ditch covering. Passing was ok, but very poor for the penalty

Pearce - 6 Like a taller Buxton but not as good a passer.

Baird - 5 steady game, but didn't win enough second balls, ok-basic passer

Hughes - 5 Very quiet game, not helped by liberal refereeing

Hendrick - 6 Made some good runs, but barely a pass that any of us couldn't make

Russell - 7 Lively going forward and took goal well, but didn't track back well, good cross for Bryson

Weimann - 7 Did well for the goal and has pace but not always on the same wavelength as others

Bent - 4 Barely showed for passes, lack of intelligent runs and frankly, effort

Subs

Grant - 7 more comfortable on the ball than Carson and 2 good saves

Ssewankambo - 6 Has some ability on the ball, but switches off defensively, skittish

Warnock - 3 If he has an ounce of integrity, he should see Clement after the game and then announce his retirement, He's done.

Shotton - 5 Ok on the ball, but has zero positional sense and concentration

Thorne - 6 Our passing improved as soon as he got on the pitch. He looks a long way from being match fit though , looked tentative in challenges

Bryson - 6 Looked lively and full of running as you'd expect, missed a decent chance though

Hanson - 5 Did ok, had a decent run, but can't see him featuring in midfield. Still think RB is the long term place for him

Ince - 7.5 With Martin and Thorne improved the quality second half, almost scored twice , great run and pass to Sammon 

Martin 7 - Showed all the touches, though still not quite match sharp

Sammon 4/10/9 Gave him 3 ratings dependent on whether you wanted me to rate performance, workrate or comedy value

I can't quote you - due to the quote taking up the whole text box - but I wonder whether pre-season really is totally meaningless.

do we have a group that can be moulded into an effective team? Or do we have too many duffers?

do we have the right characters?

Archived