Northampton Town vs Derby County

Duracell

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't complaining ,making a statement and stating the facts.If you think Sammon is good enough to be a first team regular and Keogh can go round giving penalties away against 2nd rate opposition don't expect us to be any where near top.Sammon needs to keep practicing against that barn door perhaps one day he will hit it,don't think we can even give him away ,even Burton wouldn't want him on loan.

Might only be PC second game but presumably researched the squad watched the footage and assessed players in training,not expecting everybody to be scoring so comment about bent and Ince just irrational and obviously a none sense comment.

I will be behind the team who ever pulls on the shirt but personally see Sammon and Keogh poor links 

Keogh's days as Captain have ended, i think. Baird has arrived and will be an ever present. he can be full back when we are attacking or CDM when our backs are against the wall.The malaise of last year will take time to disappear and may involve all the players that cannot personally shake it off having to leave.

Really wasn't that bad. Northampton were genuinely trying and weren't very good. Apart from our brain dead moment which created the penalty, a fizzling volley in the second half was the only time either of our keepers were tested.

First half seemed to be about defending with a wall, full-backs would drop more centrally and a CM/Winger would try to force one of their players down the flanks. Made us very tricky to play around. For example, if they went down their left, Hendrick and Russell would shepherd them down the flank and Christie would almost become a third CB, and on the right Hughes and Weimann did something similar.

Carson - 6. Scarcely worth rating him, he had so little to do, but caught a few corners very well. Loses a mark for some whacky distribution. 

Christie - 6. Was okayish defensively today, but did his party piece of treading on the ball too often. Doesn't look like he's going to turn the corner any time soon.

Keogh - 5. I'm actually a Keogh fan, but that penalty was shocking. Was far from convincing on the ball.

Pearce - 6. Looks a solid defender, no Beckebauer playing out from the back, but he looks at least as good as Whitbread, possibly better.

Forsyth - 6. As usual, pretty hard to fault him defensively. Got forward well. Less said about his passing and crossing the better. 

All of the back 5 first half did the basics well, but they were terrible with the right round thing at their feet. Hope that's down to rustiness.

Baird - 6. Northampton seemed desperate to get a first half goal and swarmed over him whenever he got the ball, and the fact we played so deep made his role even harder. Did okay considering that, found white shirts well and made a nuisance of himself where he could, but often he was simply bulldozed by two or three Cobblers players.

Hendrick - 7. Seemed to be playing for a starting place today, really did put himself about. Again, like many of his team-mates, a bit slow and rusty with the ball.

Hughes - 5. The odd nice Hughes-esque touch but he didn't make much of a mark on the game at all today.

Russell - 7. Very well-taken goal, and would have looked very good today if the full-back he was linking up with didn't lose the ball pretty much every time he was given it. Very good work defensively first half too.

Bent - 4. Didn't win a header, barely touched the ball, didn't seem to offer and outlet. I'm completely convinced we set out our stall in the first half to put ourselves under pressure and do our defensive drills, but surely Bent is there as an outlet to relieve some of the pressure? Miles away from being that.

Weimann - 7.5. The bright spark today, was chasing absolutely everything today and had one or two exciting moments of creativity - and his role in the goal was superb. Really hope he takes that into the new season. We could have a marked improvement on Ward here.

Others:

Ssewankambo - 6. Liked what I saw, but I need to see more before I declare him as "the answer" to the RB conundrum.

Shotton - N/A, can't remember him doing anything.

Warnock - 5. Seemed to want to spin round 360 degrees before making any pass. 

Thorne - 6. Getting there.

Hanson - 5. Not convinced he's going to have much of a role this season.

Bryson - 7. A bright spark when he came on, and playing a more advanced role than last season. Should have scored a relatively easy header.

Ince - 7. The best dribbler on the pitch by a country mile, and the best moment of the whole match was when he turned their defender to set up Sammon's sitter.

Typical pre-season game. We looked rusty but were very much doing our own thing, Northampton looked like they were going for a result. And didn't ever really look like getting it.

Moment of madness aside, we weren't too bad defensively but we should have created more today. We look very rusty with the ball still, and it's needs sorting out - but there's still plenty of time to sort that out.

Onto the next one.

Really wasn't that bad. Northampton were genuinely trying and weren't very good. Apart from our brain dead moment which created the penalty, a fizzling volley in the second half was the only time either of our keepers were tested.

First half seemed to be about defending with a wall, full-backs would drop more centrally and a CM/Winger would try to force one of their players down the flanks. Made us very tricky to play around. For example, if they went down their left, Hendrick and Russell would shepherd them down the flank and Christie would almost become a third CB, and on the right Hughes and Weimann did something similar.

Carson - 6. Scarcely worth rating him, he had so little to do, but caught a few corners very well. Loses a mark for some whacky distribution. 

Christie - 6. Was okayish defensively today, but did his party piece of treading on the ball too often. Doesn't look like he's going to turn the corner any time soon.

Keogh - 5. I'm actually a Keogh fan, but that penalty was shocking. Was far from convincing on the ball.

Pearce - 6. Looks a solid defender, no Beckebauer playing out from the back, but he looks at least as good as Whitbread, possibly better.

Forsyth - 6. As usual, pretty hard to fault him defensively. Got forward well. Less said about his passing and crossing the better. 

All of the back 5 first half did the basics well, but they were terrible with the right round thing at their feet. Hope that's down to rustiness.

Baird - 6. Northampton seemed desperate to get a first half goal and swarmed over him whenever he got the ball, and the fact we played so deep made his role even harder. Did okay considering that, found white shirts well and made a nuisance of himself where he could, but often he was simply bulldozed by two or three Cobblers players.

Hendrick - 7. Seemed to be playing for a starting place today, really did put himself about. Again, like many of his team-mates, a bit slow and rusty with the ball.

Hughes - 5. The odd nice Hughes-esque touch but he didn't make much of a mark on the game at all today.

Russell - 7. Very well-taken goal, and would have looked very good today if the full-back he was linking up with didn't lose the ball pretty much every time he was given it. Very good work defensively first half too.

Bent - 4. Didn't win a header, barely touched the ball, didn't seem to offer and outlet. I'm completely convinced we set out our stall in the first half to put ourselves under pressure and do our defensive drills, but surely Bent is there as an outlet to relieve some of the pressure? Miles away from being that.

Weimann - 7.5. The bright spark today, was chasing absolutely everything today and had one or two exciting moments of creativity - and his role in the goal was superb. Really hope he takes that into the new season. We could have a marked improvement on Ward here.

Others:

Ssewankambo - 6. Liked what I saw, but I need to see more before I declare him as "the answer" to the RB conundrum.

Bryson - 7. A bright spark when he came on, and playing a more advanced role than last season. Should have scored a relatively easy header.

Ince - 7. The best dribbler on the pitch by a country mile, and the best moment of the whole match was when he turned their defender to set up Sammon's sitter.

Typical pre-season game. We looked rusty but were very much doing our own thing, Northampton looked like they were going for a result. And didn't ever really look like getting it.

Good work-out for us. Onto the next one.

Sammons sitter must have been bad if he doesn't get a mark.

Others:

Good work-out for us. Onto the next one.

How dare you miss out Sammon's rating!!!! I demand you tell us how good he was, immediately!

Sammon - 8. Best player on the pitch by a mile, completely changed the complexion of the match. Was twice denied by world-class defending, in which Northampton players distracted him with pure thought. They had to, because none of them were near him for either chance. Takes that sort of defending to stop him though.

Archived