There's a real buzz about the place...

uttoxram75

We are all unsure. 

Bolton away will be a pressure start. 

But  lets be optimistic .

If we get Shackell we will all be more sure about things IMO as improving the defense is the key  

or maybe just getting the combination right out of the ones we have. Some of the write-ups from yesterday seem to suggest there were enough decent individual performances for us to put a credible back 4 together - but it probably won't be the one we were used to seeing last season.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

or maybe just getting the combination right out of the ones we have. Some of the write-ups from yesterday seem to suggest there were enough decent individual performances for us to put a credible back 4 together - but it probably won't be the one we were used to seeing last season.

I don't think so 

I'm not sure there is any doom and gloom. Nobody is saying that things are going wrong. Some just seem to have blind faith that everything is definitely going to be great and some of us hope it will, whilst being a bit less certain.

At present we haven't changed that many players. Bent and Ince were here, Weimann has replaced Ward, Pearce has replaced Whitbread and Baird has replaced Eustace. The only real 'addition' is Carson. Replacing three injury prone senior players is actually a fairly conservative summer. OK, we look like making some more signings, but they may never materialise. 

My concern is more the relegation of the manager to being just another cog in the machine. I'm not saying it won't work, and I understand the merits of the system. However, managers gain twenty years of experience for a reason - because they are good at that level. If they want to change things, the chances are it needs changing. I just hope that Clement has not been appointed for his ability to say 'yes Mel'.

I'm looking forward to the season ahead, but no more than any other season.

I've been following Derby long enough to know that things never turn out as you expect and that if you just go to enjoy the football, atmosphere and beer and not expect to see 11 world beaters hammer all comers, you don't come away feeling so bad when it doesn't happen and you feel good when it does.

I'm cautious. To be honest, I haven't been particularly overwhelmed by our signings.

People have been saying Bent and Ince will guarantee us this, that and the other etc. have clearly forgotten they were part of our team which nose-dived last season.

We were a better team without them both. Also, you know my feelings on Darren Bent and his inclusion negatively affecting our 4-3-3 possession-based system. Whether Clement can make it work, well let's wait and see.

Carson, Baird and Pearce are mere squad players and don't actually improve the first-team IMO. That's a risky strategy and one  feel we should steer clear of, buying squad players for the sake of it.

Weimann comes with a decent reputation, but he could quite easily just turn out to be a workmanlike wide man in the form of Jonny Russell, a player who is vastly overrated by a fair few on here.

I think our saving grace this season is I can't envisage Burnley, Hull or QPR being anywhere near as good as Bournemouth, Watford or Norwich. The three play quite contrasting styles of football.

We have to be aiming for the top six, but I feel the bookies are making an error in having us as the favourites for promotion. 

I'm cautious. To be honest, I haven't been particularly overwhelmed by our signings.

People have been saying Bent and Ince will guarantee us this, that and the other etc. have clearly forgotten they were part of our team which nose-dived last season.

We were a better team without them both. Also, you know my feelings on Darren Bent and his inclusion negatively affecting our 4-3-3 possession-based system. Whether Clement can make it work, well let's wait and see.

Carson, Baird and Pearce are mere squad players and don't actually improve the first-team IMO. That's a risky strategy and one  feel we should steer clear of, buying squad players for the sake of it.

Weimann comes with a decent reputation, but he could quite easily just turn out to be a workmanlike wide man in the form of Jonny Russell, a player who is vastly overrated by a fair few on here.

I think our saving grace this season is I can't envisage Burnley, Hull or QPR being anywhere near as good as Bournemouth, Watford or Norwich. The three play quite contrasting styles of football.

We have to be aiming for the top six, but I feel the bookies are making an error in having us as the favourites for promotion. 

Couldn't agree more.

The Bent transfer worries me as goals aside, he contributed little to the team dynamic and over his career, has proven to be problematic. We continue to be linked with strikers and I just hope that Bent has signed knowing that he will be playing second fiddle to Martin. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening.

I think our best signing will be Thorne. He is the glue that can fix this team and his form more than any other player I feel will determine Derby's fortunes.

I don't quite understand the Carson deal. We have a probably slightly better than average keeper at this level and we bring in another like for like. Don't quite get that one.

Pearce is decent and has leadership qualities but where does that leave Buxton, for me our best defender though I am concerned our manager won't quite see that.

We are still one or two full backs from a promotion challenging team for me. Christie and Forsyth can be when going forward, although Chrisie was woeful last season in all parts of his game but neither are great defenders. I think we need two defence first full backs.

Because I am a bit unsure that all of these sudden changes will bring the result that so many are expecting

thats perfectly understandable.

the most important thing is to let the manager forge and develop a team.  Too much change breeds instability and disappointment. We need to settle into a pattern very quickly and make the tough calls regarding who is in, and who is out. The test of PC will be whether he's got the judgement and the knackers to make those calls.

Bolded the spot on bits. I think Carson, Baird and Pearce will improve us. Not to a massive degree but they are an improvement on what we had before, Roos, Mascarell and Whitbread, Shackell and Bridcutt (if the specuoation is true) would improve us further.

However our biggest priorites were cover for Martin and aa new RB. These needs ahven't been addressed and I fear they will bite us on the @rse at some point.

Bolded the spot on bits. I think Carson, Baird and Pearce will improve us. Not to a massive degree but they are an improvement on what we had before, Roos, Mascarell and Whitbread, Shackell and Bridcutt (if the specuoation is true) would improve us further.

However our biggest priorites were cover for Martin and aa new RB. These needs ahven't been addressed and I fear they will bite us on the @rse at some point.

I think that the Martin situation is now by far the most urgent. If he hasn't started training fully yet, you would have thought that must be because he hasn't yet fully healed. That is four months out injured. Even Chris Martin's biggest fans (of which I'm one) would never claim that he is a naturally fit player. With only four weeks left until the season starts he might well still be injured and if not, he'll be a long way of match fit. From memory it seems that when one of these 'let it heal naturally by resting' treatments doesn't sort it out, the player has to undergo an operation. It would be no surprise to hear that Martin is out until Christmas. I'd suggest that we don't need cover for Martin, we need a replacement - at least for half a season. The only positive there is that it'll make loaning in a striker much easier.

I think that the Martin situation is now by far the most urgent. If he hasn't started training fully yet, you would have thought that must be because he hasn't yet fully healed. That is four months out injured. Even Chris Martin's biggest fans (of which I'm one) would never claim that he is a naturally fit player. With only four weeks left until the season starts he might well still be injured and if not, he'll be a long way of match fit. From memory it seems that when one of these 'let it heal naturally by resting' treatments doesn't sort it out, the player has to undergo an operation. It would be no surprise to hear that Martin is out until Christmas. I'd suggest that we don't need cover for Martin, we need a replacement - at least for half a season. The only positive there is that it'll make loaning in a striker much easier.

I think the Martin situation isn't that bad in terms of his fitness. He was like a lat when I saw him a month ago. 

We are all unsure. 

Bolton away will be a pressure start. 

But  lets be optimistic .

If we get Shackell we will all be more sure about things IMO as improving the defense is the key  

That is kind of my worry, our 2 'main signings' are players who's arrival pretty much coincided with our implosion last season and the main problem has not really been fully addressed. By this I mean that I thought that there be a bit of a turnover of defenders.

On the face of it Ince and Bent are the sort of signings that all Championship teams should be wanting to make but there is still a doubt in mind.

Ince and Bent scored lots of goals.

its the fools at the back that let us down, replace them, and we're sorted.  That's why I'm happy.

If only football was that simple.

By that logic, any team looking to win the title should just buy Charlie Austin and Southampton's back four. There you have goals at one end and a tight back four at the other.

Blackburn Rovers had two players to reach 20 goals last season. Would a few defender replacements mean they're sorted too?

F¥cking hell pal, If Your guna cut your wrists already, Maybe supporting a football team isn't for you...

Don't write players off before the season has even started.. Baird is an experienced pro, Carson is an ex England international.. Pearce is again, Experianced and a leader.. 

On paper, it's exciting times. But to start going into pessimistic mode after the first pre season game is crazy.

Just ride the wave of excitement, And if it don't go to plan.. You ride the wave of excitement again.

Enjoy it. 

F¥cking hell pal, If Your guna cut your wrists already, Maybe supporting a football team isn't for you...

Don't write players off before the season has even started.. Baird is an experienced pro, Carson is an ex England international.. Pearce is again, Experianced and a leader.. 

On paper, it's exciting times. But to start going into pessimistic mode after the first pre season game is crazy.

Just ride the wave of excitement, And if it don't go to plan.. You ride the wave of excitement again.

Enjoy it. 

We're used to it.

Archived