Isak Ssewankambo

YorkshireRam

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They were getting smashed every game tho.

Meh.

I get smashed every game and I haven't even got a swear word in the middle of my name.

Great summary thanks a lot. Good to hear he did well, agree it's not the be all and end all but positive signs nonetheless.

What were your opinions on Weimann and Calero? Heard couple of good things when they were mentioned but interested to hear a little more in depth from someone who was actually there. Thanks

sorry Yorkshire but I've been out since I got back, if that makes any sense

Calero played well in the first half - stood out more than Hanson but the pair of them were better than a number of others. Calero did some good things creatively, made himself available for a pass, had good movement and tried to find a killer pass or two. Weimann looked slightly off the pace overall - I'm not saying that negatively, I think he's finding out what he needs to do in a new club with new players around him.  He's got good pace and works hard. He'll do well for us is my judgement, but he needs to find his place and role in the team. I think, and this is an immediate judgement, that he's a confidence player - get him on a roll, creating or scoring, and he'll do very well; let him be average and he'll carry on being average

but this was just the first game pre season.............

sorry Yorkshire but I've been out since I got back, if that makes any sense

Calero played well in the first half - stood out more than Hanson but the pair of them were better than a number of others. Calero did some good things creatively, made himself available for a pass, had good movement and tried to find a killer pass or two. Weimann looked slightly off the pace overall - I'm not saying that negatively, I think he's finding out what he needs to do in a new club with new players around him.  He's got good pace and works hard. He'll do well for us is my judgement, but he needs to find his place and role in the team. I think, and this is an immediate judgement, that he's a confidence player - get him on a roll, creating or scoring, and he'll do very well; let him be average and he'll carry on being average

but this was just the first game pre season.............

No need to apologise, thanks again for your summary    :)

Good luck to him on finding that form and I hope he does! Because he was impressive, but I can't remember the last time he had a good performance 

There's been a few things said about players morale being battered by the coaching staff in previous seasons. Maybe a change in staff might see a change in self-belief.

I also think fans have a massive impact on players self-belief.

Say Isak Ssewankambooooo,

your gonna be the one that saves meee

and after alllll your my Isak Ssewankambooooooooo.

We could go with a different Oasis song

"Ssewankambo
Cos Keogh's charging out like Rambo"

I don't think there is a huge gap in quality between Ssewankambo and Christie, but I'd still side with the latter. 

Isak, like Christie, got caught out a few times defensively and allowed players to get in behind him but Albentosa was there to bail him out. He did well but he needs to be tested, and I mean really tested, before you can say he's in competition with Christie for a place at RB. 

Hanson was poor. He gives the ball away far, far, far too much for a defensive midfielder. He has quality, you can clearly see he has quality, but he needs to improve his decision making. Calero was good - it's going to be hard for him to get in this season as I imagine we'll sign another winger but he's more than capable of filling Ward's shoes as a back-up. 

Carson

Ssewankambo   Pearce  Albentosa  Baird

Thorne Hughes  

Martin

Ince  Bent  Weimann

Subs:- Grant   Buxton  Keogh  Forsyth  Hendrick  Bryson  Russell  Dawkins

(Christie  Warnock  Calero  Rawson  Hanson)

Carson

Thorne Hughes  

Martin

Ince  Bent  Weimann

I think i would lke to see the back 4 from 2nd half yesterday in front of grant with GT as the holder in fron of them for the first half of Northampton to see if that back 4 has promise against a fresh team (it seemed Grimsby tired and 2nd half might have been a bit more straightforward defensively yesterday)

Did we lose the play off final again yesterday? I was busy all day, had a quick browse to see how Derby got on and kept seeing tweets berating players, a couple of "can't believe this." "This is embarrassing."  Finally found the score line, expecting a 7-0 Grimsby win only to find we lost 2-1 to a team who have played 3 pre season games already, so they are probably sharper and anyway its a friendly for the love of albentosa. 

Its not like we lost 12-0 to alferton like sheffield wednesday did a few years back or whatever the score was. Its good to hear promising signs from players like Ssewankombo, hanson, calero as we already know the likes of Hughes, Thorne etc can do when they turn it on. Its important that some of the fringe players impress and show their worth. The usual suspects ie Ince, Hughes, Bent etc will use these early pre season stages to build fitness more than anything, they aren't going to break their backs in the first match to beat grimsby. 

Carson

Thorne Hughes  

Martin

Ince  Bent  Weimann

What's Forsyth done wrong?

For me:                         
                                                                Grant

Christie      Albentosa              Pearce         Forsyth

Baird       Thorne

Ince                                         Hughes

Martin         Weimann

What's Forsyth done wrong?

For me:                         
                                                                Grant

Christie      Albentosa              Pearce         Forsyth

Baird       Thorne

Ince                                         Hughes

Martin         Weimann

Hughes left wing? Really???

Are you Nigel Clough?

Hughes left wing? Really???

Are you Nigel Clough?

No, rather Ince and Hughes as attacking midfielders rather than wingers.

We've seen Ince often likes to cut inside and is equally eeffective on the inside and outside so not much of a transition for him.

An alternative is a 4-1-2-1-2 of sorts:

Grant

Christie Albentosa Pearce Forsyth

Thorne

Ince.                             Russell

Weimann

Bent.                Martin

Did we lose the play off final again yesterday? I was busy all day, had a quick browse to see how Derby got on and kept seeing tweets berating players, a couple of "can't believe this." "This is embarrassing."  Finally found the score line, expecting a 7-0 Grimsby win only to find we lost 2-1 to a team who have played 3 pre season games already, so they are probably sharper and anyway its a friendly for the love of albentosa.

Its not like we lost 12-0 to alferton like sheffield wednesday did a few years back or whatever the score was. Its good to hear promising signs from players like Ssewankombo, hanson, calero as we already know the likes of Hughes, Thorne etc can do when they turn it on. Its important that some of the fringe players impress and show their worth. The usual suspects ie Ince, Hughes, Bent etc will use these early pre season stages to build fitness more than anything, they aren't going to break their backs in the first match to beat grimsby.

Hang on this was against non league opposition!

Archived