Who is driving the bus?

CheltenhamRam

Since Steve went we've splashed a decent amount on new signings in addition to the players that have been released. Clearly PC won't have seen much of the current squad or new signings. 

What structure is in place for player recruitment etc.? We've been moving incredibly quickly which suggests a significant amount of ground work has already gone in. Moreover, all of our (or mine) preferred signings appear to have gone through smoothly. Impressive stuff in my opinion.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As has been the case for a good year, it's Chris Evans heading up recruitment. He will be bringing targets to the table for discussion and Clement will get the final say, before Stone Cold Sam Rush does the rest.

I don't understand how so many people still haven't guy their head around Chris Evans' job at the club. He was brought in with his vast scouting network to identify the right type of player and he and Sam sort out the deals. That's why things have run so fast and smoothly - the structure is in place. And no, it doesn't mean Paul Clement is a puppet. PC gets a final say on transfers based on a shortlist of individuals. And it's PC's job to coach them, improve them, and pick the team/tactics. 

Think you're exactly right and that's the point. All the groundwork is done. All the player possibilities are/were right there for Clement as soon he was lined up. That's one of the benefit of having the recruitment arm running seperate and a philosophy on the type of player we go for in place means that the scouting and all can carry on without a manager. Then when the manager comes in you can have lists of players who fit the profile for him to yay or nay over. 

The recruitment side is put together by Evans who apparently has a huge list of contacts that are the envy of other clubs. Think Ladyram when she baked Duracell a cake

The coach gives the nod on players. Or he describes what he wants to add to the team. Think Duracell who didn't share his cake. 

Sam Rush sees over everything. He's the president after all. He's the boss. Numero uno. Like Daveo. With a goatee 

Mel Morris? ££. And taskmaster. Think Google when they stopped people posting pictures of fit barmaids.

Think you're exactly right and that's the point. All the groundwork is done. All the player possibilities are/were right there for Clement as soon he was lined up. That's one of the benefit of having the recruitment arm running seperate and a philosophy on the type of player we go for in place means that the scouting and all can carry on without a manager. Then when the manager comes in you can have lists of players who fit the profile for him to yay or nay over. 

The recruitment side is put together by Evans who apparently has a huge list of contacts that are the envy of other clubs. Think Ladyram when she baked Duracell a cake

The coach gives the nod on players. Or he describes what he wants to add to the team. Think Duracell who didn't share his cake. 

Sam Rush sees over everything. He's the president after all. He's the boss. Numero uno. Like Daveo. With a goatee 

Mel Morris? ££. And taskmaster. Think Google when they stopped people posting pictures of fit barmaids.

So do you like Mel now then Alpha !

As has been the case for a good year, it's Chris Evans heading up recruitment. He will be bringing targets to the table for discussion and Clement will get the final say, before Stone Cold Sam Rush does the rest.

...... and SCSR tells SDSR and then we all find out.

Hadn't Clement been on the radar for a while even before SM went? He may well have an idea of the squad already??

I'm not too too concerned at present though - we're bringing in good signings for good fees.

I think it's fair to assume they was some dialogue between PC and the board way before he signed up.  Sam Rush would've been putting the feelers out as soon as Schteve started with his "It's pure speculation" bollux.  You only had to watch a couple of our games since March to realise what's missing, so I doubt PC is unaware of our strengths and weaknesses...

Since Steve went we've splashed a decent amount on new signings in addition to the players that have been released. Clearly PC won't have seen much of the current squad or new signings. 

What structure is in place for player recruitment etc.? We've been moving incredibly quickly which suggests a significant amount of ground work has already gone in. Moreover, all of our (or mine) preferred signings appear to have gone through smoothly. Impressive stuff in my opinion.

I think it's also down to Sam's power of persuasion.  I can see him now, in a room a with an agent and a player, alongside Mel and Paul commanding the respect of the room - instilling trust.  It's a no brainer for a player, Clement has coached the VERY best in the world for a prolonged period of time, and we have a cool, calm and forthright leader in Sam driving the club in the right direction.  Mel has injected some much needed candy into the proceedings, with Chris using his scouting experience to ensure that we can pounce early.   

Alternatively, you could have that same player in a room with, let's say, Dougie Freedman and their 'leader' on his Etch A Sketch.  Where is the confidence for that player to make the right call, unless they are out of contract or desperate?  How do you think we've managed to cream off the best of the 'free' players? It's through trust, leadership and vision.    

I think it's also down to Sam's power of persuasion.  I can see him now, in a room a with an agent and a player, alongside Mel and Paul commanding the respect of the room - instilling trust.  It's a no brainer for a player, Clement has coached the VERY best in the world for a prolonged period of time, and we have a cool, calm and forthright leader in Sam driving the club in the right direction.  Mel has injected some much needed candy into the proceedings, with Chris using his scouting experience to ensure that we can pounce early.   

Alternatively, you could have that same player in a room with, let's say, Dougie Freedman and their 'leader' on his Etch A Sketch.  Where is the confidence for that player to make the right call, unless they are out of contract or desperate?  How do you think we've managed to cream off the best of the 'free' players? It's through trust, leadership and vision.    

Nicely put. I think I'll give it a 'like'

You are the bus driver. At your first stop, you pick up 29 people. On your second stop, 18 of those 29 people get off, and at the same time 10 new passengers arrive. At your next stop, 3 of those 10 passengers get off, and 13 new passengers come on. On your fourth stop 4 of the remaining 10 passengers get off, 6 of those new 13 passengers get off as well, then 17 new passengers get on. What is the color of the bus driver’s eyes?

You are the bus driver. At your first stop, you pick up 29 people. On your second stop, 18 of those 29 people get off, and at the same time 10 new passengers arrive. At your next stop, 3 of those 10 passengers get off, and 13 new passengers come on. On your fourth stop 4 of the remaining 10 passengers get off, 6 of those new 13 passengers get off as well, then 17 new passengers get on. What is the color of the bus driver’s eyes?

I just got caught reading this and got fired..... WORTH IT

Archived