Chris Martin should be Captain..

robglosta

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaks well, performs consistently well and is our most important player. 

Is it time to give Keogh a break from the armband?

people complain at keogh for waving his arms in the air and shouting at the other players, not sure how people would feel with Chris and the way he reacts when he doesn't get the ball or others make mistakes. I for one would go for Eustace... Oh wait. 

Speaks well, performs consistently well and is our most important player. 

Is it time to give Keogh a break from the armband?

Not reflective of Martin, but I don't like strikers as captains. 

A captain should be someone in the middle of the park - either a central midfielder, or a central defender.

No.

Strikers don't make good captains, fo rthe simple fact that if they have a barren spell, miss a sitter or a penalty they lose authority. Difficult for a striker to motivate others to do their job if they are visibly seen to not be doing theirs

Agreed  - a centre half please, step forward

As influential, important, brilliant Chris Martin is - I don't think he's a captain. 

Off the pitch, I think he may have the right characteristics, but on the pitch he gets caught up in the action too much. He's forever lamenting players for not giving him the ball or making bad decisions. 

Buxton should have been handed the captaincy when Shackell left IMO. He's the calming influence in defence and we saw what affect it had when he wasn't there. 

Alex Pearce was captain at Reading, Shackell (when he signs) was captain at Burnley. I think Darren Bent even captained Villa at one point! 

I think the armband could be carried by several people in the squad, whoever gets picked is anyone's guess. 

Agree with the consensus majority, Martin isn't a captain. He is however, a superb leader. We need 3-5 leaders on the pitch, and he's one, along with (at present time) Granty, Bucko, One of the CM's (Will to any youngsters, Thorne in a calm reassuring way) and Warnock when he plays.

Clement is a new broom, he is probably building his own team.He watched the DVDs of last season and he knows who he must replace as first choice players. No player is safe.Clement is not used to losing games and plans to continue in the same vein. He probably wants his own Captain as the man to organize his team on the pitch. If he gets Weimann, Ince, Dunk and Shackell, he is still looking for his biggest signing, a defensive midfielder with vast experience who may be his captain. How many more players will he need to sign to start his own eleven? A few loan signings and he would soon have eleven players. Maclaren signed about twenty plus players permanently or on loan in less than two years.

I'm not sure it's that big a deal - it's all human dynamics really. In any team some characters are natural leaders, some not so much and that comes through no matter who's got the armband. FWIW I'd take it off Keogh, keogh will still shout as much in the defence, it's natural.

Give it to the character who best wears it. For me, Martin wouldn't be a bad choice but I do agree that Strikers arn't always the best choice, if nothing else, it's inherently quite a selfish job of finishing it off/taking the shot/chance.

Defender or midfielder but we'll see who comes into/leaves the squad.

people complain at keogh for waving his arms in the air and shouting at the other players, not sure how people would feel with Chris and the way he reacts when he doesn't get the ball or others make mistakes. I for one would go for Eustace... Oh wait. 

Sounds like we should stick him in goal. 

Archived