Will Hughes

DcFc Dyycheee

Newcastle United are weighing up a raid on Steve McClaren’s former club Derby County – for Will Hughes.

The midfielder was the Championship club’s player of the season last term.

And Liverpool have been linked with a summer move for Hughes, who is in the Czech Republic with England for the European Under-21 Championship.

But the Gazette understands that Hughes is also interesting Newcastle, who seem certain to sell long-serving midfielder Cheik Tiote this summer.

Hughes, however, won’t come cheaply, and Derby reportedly rate him in the £15m-bracket.

United – who have also been linked with Manchester United midfielder and former Derby loanee Jesse Lingard – are looking to add two or three British players to McClaren’s squad.

McClaren spoke glowingly about Hughes while head coach of Derby last season.

“He is developing and he is getting better, but there is still a long way to go,” said McClaren last October.

“What pleases me is he’s getting some end product to his play.

“He can always keep the ball and deal with it, but that killer pass to unlock packed defences or scoring a goal, that is what he has added to his game.”

Newcastle chief scout Graham Carr is also understood to be an admirer of Hughes, who was also named the players’ player of the year at the iPro Stadium.

Hughes, however, is solely focused on England’s Euro 2015 campaign. - http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/good-will-hunting-newcastle-tracking-derby-and-england-starlet-1-7312909

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not surprised, lazy journalism or not. I'd think though that Sam Rush will make a bit more awkward to get over the line but at the end of the day £15m to Derby is a lot of money to re invest and build for the Premier League.

£15m easily covers the cost of our proposed summer signings and more and frankly if selling Hughes got us Shackell, Ince and Weimann plus a couple of others at that calibre I would snap their hands off...

McClaren actually found Hughes frustrating to coach at times. They write how much of a big fan he is but he was a bigger fan of Hendrick. Hughes can take some... encouragement... to do certain things. 

It's an easy story like SRG says. Manager-star player from old club. 

I'd be surprised if Steve McClaren spends that sort of money to take Will Hughes to Newcastle and Hughes fancies that job. 

Makes a change from Liverpool I suppose. He's been sold to them numerous times.

What's also quite funny is the "McClaren spoke glowingly of Hughes" followed by a quote that isn't especially glowing. That's the best they could dig up? 

There were times when Hughes would be dropped and many of us thought it madness. He loved getting Hendrick in the side. Hes not 'criticised' Hughes exactly, but he has said that he needs to improve and do this and that a lot more than he praised him. He has complained that Hughes doesn't always listen. 

Maybe he just said what Hughes needed to hear or was playing down his contribution to avoid hype? 

I live in hope that this may be, just maybe, SMCs way of making it all up to us.

He obviously knows what our price tage on Hughes is - he has the inside information, so he goes to Mike Ashley and tells him to add £5m to it and then we'll sell.

£20m please Mike

Archived