Will Hughes

DcFc Dyycheee

why are people saying this will finance ince, shackell and weimman transfers?

were looking to buy them their wages and agents fees without the sale of young William so if we get 15million from him then it is an extra pot of money for other new players

yeah. We're in for them all anyway so we don t need to sell anyone to finance them as far as we know.

The question would be, do you want £15m instead of Hughes. I'm gay for Will Hughes but I'd take that. In other countries the philosophy of football lends itself to producing players like Hughes a bit more often. The gamble is bringing them over and then settling. You could afford a cock up or 2 with all that money. 

But it's not worth arguing over because Ashley isn't going to fund £15m on a Champ player. McClaren isn't the world's biggest Hughes fan if you believe what he says and does. And finally would Hughes want that move? 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My thoughts on Hughes are that he is a very good young player learning to improve.

I would expect a £15m player to dominate big games at Championship level.

I don't think he has done so on a regular basis.

It may be best for both parties if he moves now.

However his replacement needs to be as hungry for the ball as he is.

I think we have enough attacking players to be able to field three combative, mobile midfielders who protect our defence and drive the team forward.

£15m will provide this.

Given run my own consultancy business I think I understand just a touch about wages etc. We were discussing transfer fees...

However, I pleased you think I'm thick, it must lovely being perfect...

Consultancy business, eh? That covers a multitude of sins from being a one-man operation (i.e. an IT contractor, doing his damnedest to squirrel away as much of his consultancy fee as possible by finding new and devious ways to claim expenses, reduce NI contributions and the like) to a no-scruples supplier of zero-hours contract workers to McDonalds.

What you will probably find is that you are not unique on here, whatever it is that you do.

Newcastle United are weighing up a raid on Steve McClaren’s former club Derby County – for Will Hughes.

The midfielder was the Championship club’s player of the season last term.

And Liverpool have been linked with a summer move for Hughes, who is in the Czech Republic with England for the European Under-21 Championship.

But the Gazette understands that Hughes is also interesting Newcastle, who seem certain to sell long-serving midfielder Cheik Tiote this summer.

Hughes, however, won’t come cheaply, and Derby reportedly rate him in the £15m-bracket.

United – who have also been linked with Manchester United midfielder and former Derby loanee Jesse Lingard – are looking to add two or three British players to McClaren’s squad.

McClaren spoke glowingly about Hughes while head coach of Derby last season.

“He is developing and he is getting better, but there is still a long way to go,” said McClaren last October.

“What pleases me is he’s getting some end product to his play.

“He can always keep the ball and deal with it, but that killer pass to unlock packed defences or scoring a goal, that is what he has added to his game.”

Newcastle chief scout Graham Carr is also understood to be an admirer of Hughes, who was also named the players’ player of the year at the iPro Stadium.

Hughes, however, is solely focused on England’s Euro 2015 campaign. - http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/good-will-hunting-newcastle-tracking-derby-and-england-starlet-1-7312909

if hughes is worth that much to McLaren then by the way he favoured Hendrick we ahould keep Hughes and let him have Hendrick for £25 million. 

not that it means anything, but I sold Hughes to Newcastle on Fifa at Christmas. I don't remember the figure, but it was somewhere in the region of £11m.

It means nothing of course, I just wanted an excuse to post 

(I also sold Lee grant to Sheff Wednesday and Jamie Ward to a european team i've never heard of)

My thoughts on Hughes are that he is a very good young player learning to improve.

I would expect a £15m player to dominate big games at Championship level.

I don't think he has done so on a regular basis.

It may be best for both parties if he moves now.

However his replacement needs to be as hungry for the ball as he is.

I think we have enough attacking players to be able to field three combative, mobile midfielders who protect our defence and drive the team forward.

£15m will provide this.

This is perhaps why he's gone under the radar and stayed a Derby player for so long..

He's not a dominating-type player. He's not a tricky, explosive winger neither - which sees exciting prospects snatched into the Premier League too early. He doesn't put himself in the spotlight, not regularly scoring worldies or making wonder assists. 

Not to say he isn't a magnificent player. He is, and has the potential to be at the top level. We miss him when he's not there, we don't have the same flow or composure without his foot on the ball. Neither does the England u21 side. While he continues to 'make us tick' the big boys will just be keeping an eye out. Until he's seen to be making a 'major impact'.

It's not a Will Hughes problem. It's a Premier League problem.

It's a problem I'm happy they have.

This is perhaps why he's gone under the radar and stayed a Derby player for so long..

He's not a dominating-type player. He's not a tricky, explosive winger neither - which sees exciting prospects snatched into the Premier League too early. He doesn't put himself in the spotlight, not regularly scoring worldies or making wonder assists. 

Not to say he isn't a magnificent player. He is, and has the potential to be at the top level. We miss him when he's not there, we don't have the same flow or composure without his foot on the ball. Neither does the England u21 side. While he continues to 'make us tick' the big boys will just be keeping an eye out. Until he's seen to be making a 'major impact'.

It's not a Will Hughes problem. It's a Premier League problem.

It's a problem I'm happy they have.

I agree.

People have said that Hughes is the 'engine' that allows the Derby vehicle to move, but I disagree. I think that he's the two squirts of Redex that keeps the engine ticking over smoothly.

Well don't post stupid comment like "same reason others make massive assumptions about salaries and fees probably".

You claimed that the 15M would afford us Ince, Weimann, Shackell and others.

I am stating that this is incorrect...assumptions about salary or not.

I am guessing you got out of the wrong side of bed this morning MCS. In fact it seems like you might have fallen out of bed and banged your head, but aren't beds only inches off the floor in Japan?

Consultancy business, eh? That covers a multitude of sins from being a one-man operation (i.e. an IT contractor, doing his damnedest to squirrel away as much of his consultancy fee as possible by finding new and devious ways to claim expenses, reduce NI contributions and the like) to a no-scruples supplier of zero-hours contract workers to McDonalds.

What you will probably find is that you are not unique on here, whatever it is that you do.

Yep - I've noticed in last 10 years or so the number of consultants has just grown exponentially - I do business change management but as you say, there's one man bands doing a bit of IT stuff through to PwC all after the same bit of the market. It does bother me how some businesses function once the consultants move out. Probably better in some cases :-)

Anyway back to Hughes and Newcastle...

Well don't post stupid comment like "same reason others make massive assumptions about salaries and fees probably".

You claimed that the 15M would afford us Ince, Weimann, Shackell and others.

I am stating that this is incorrect...assumptions about salary or not.

I'm happy for you to consider I'm incorrect ,but I'm at the end of an 18 hour day which has followed on from 12 straight days of similar hours and you're right I did forget about wages and fees, and you don't know that of course but why get personal about the situation...

I am guessing you got out of the wrong side of bed this morning MCS. In fact it seems like you might have fallen out of bed and banged your head, but aren't beds only inches off the floor in Japan?

I do sleep on a futon here i-Ram! Uncomfortable as hell until you get used to them.

I'm happy for you to consider I'm incorrect ,but I'm at the end of an 18 hour day which has followed on from 12 straight days of similar hours and you're right I did forget about wages and fees, and you don't know that of course but why get personal about the situation...

Omg... don't get personal...don't get personal...don't get personal.

What is it with folks on here.

Would you please grow a pair of balls.

I'm not sure just how many transfer threads there have been over the years about Hughes.

Amazing really considering that "according to our management", there hasn't been one single offer ever tabled for the player.

While i recognise the importance of the player to DCFC, I cannot help but think he is a little overrated by many.

The U21 tournament will tell us a lot. Will he even make the starting eleven? He has some real competition there and interestingly, in the BBC's preview of the side, it mentioned the strength of our midfield covering five players but no mention of Hughes.

He's a consultant for HMRC.

Omg... don't get personal...don't get personal...don't get personal.

What is it with folks on here.

Would you please grow a pair of balls.

Well yes, actually - don't get personal. It's not a question of balls, it's a question of following the forum rules.

A little reminder in case there's any doubt http://dcfcfans.uk/guidelines/ 

Lets get back on topic now.

Archived