Signed: Jason Shackell

irobinson

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​My point is, he's no better than half the ***** we have but people act like he's a messiah. He isn't, and he isn't promotion quality.

But he was injured, so the stats are irrelevant. Play anyone half fit and their stats won't be good.

Fair enough if you don't think he's very good but those stats aren't proof. 

​My point is, he's no better than half the ***** we have but people act like he's a messiah. He isn't, and he isn't promotion quality.

Any chance of Buxton's stats for the season before @Ambitious. He was injured last year.

​He was a lot better the season before: total aerial battles 7.3, win percentage 66.96% 

That's from whoscored, though, I don't have access to last season's Championship opta database.

Not ITK in this, so treat it as pure speculation. But heard Shackell wants to come but Burnley won't sell. Regardless of what's offered. 

​I can believe this. The way we've been flexing our financial muscles so far I wouldn't be surprised if they try and hold us to ransom.

The slight difference with Thorne is that Shackell only has a year left on his contract.They would be mad to turn down 2m for a 32 year old and he goes for nothing next summer. 

Would they be mad? I'm not so sure. That's like saying the buying team would be mad for SPENDING the £2million on a player who's contract is up next summer 

It doesn't matter if Shackell wants to leave. 

Due to FIFA's article 17, he's within his own right to buyout his own contract to force a move here. It's a bad precedent, but the option is always there.

​Didn't we do something like that with Albentosa? Give him the money to buy his contract out?

Not too sure I support this transfer the more I think about it.

Centre Backs (Players who have/can/will play there):

Keogh

Buxton

Albentosa

Pearce

Shotton

Rawson

Hanson

Forsyth

That's 8 players who can play there, I cant see us bring in a 32 year old on £2million to sit on the bench.

This means another CB must make way. Now I know we need better defensive players but I don't believe Shackell is worth that much, we could always try and get Lewis Dunk, a £2million bid from Fulham was rejected. £3.5 million-ish on a great 'proven' prospect looks better but then again I think we should focus on RB as we have Rawson who should be getting games this season.

​Didn't we do something like that with Albentosa? Give him the money to buy his contract out?

​There was definitely something along those lines that went on. I guess we just re inverse it with the signing on fee. 

From what I can gather, it would cost Shack £1.52m to do just that. 

Archived