Signed: Jason Shackell

irobinson

Definitely good business - sell him for a million and then buy him back for 2 million a couple of years later when he's another year closer to the knacker's yard.

​It looks that way I must admit ,but in reality we sold him far too cheap .We did the same with Rowett gave him away for a million and he moved again for a larger fee.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​My point is, he's no better than half the ***** we have but people act like he's a messiah. He isn't, and he isn't promotion quality.

​You have no soul - but you knew that anyway.

I believe we sold Shackell under a set of circumstances that suited us at the time.

1. He was one appearance away from activating a clause which would have seen us owe Barnsley another £250,000.

2. We received the £1,100,000 fee in one lump sum - as opposed to installments. I'd assume this enabled us to sign both Keogh AND Sammon.

And a potential number 3. The obvious rumours that were knocking about and Clough only wanting players of a certain character.

I doubt we'll be signing him soon anyway. He's on holiday in Dubai in the same hotel as my mate! According to him Shackell would be 'interested' in coming back.

http://m.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/11866862.Chris_Flanagan_column__Burnley_skipper_Jason_Shackell_was_worth_every_penny/?ref=twtrec

IT was the summer of 2012 and the mood in Derby was not good.

“Gutted,” one fan said.

“God awful decision by Derby,” added another.

“Just when we thought it was all slotting into place, they go and sell our best player,” said a third.

MORE TOP STORIES:

CLAIM: 'Publican left man with serious brain injury during mass brawl'
'Polite' burglar who preyed on elderly trapped by cup of tea
Top Burnley nightclub closed and building repossessed
East Lancs drivers face 26 weeks of work on motorway

Controversially, Derby County were on the verge of selling their captain, Jason Shackell, to Burnley for a fee of around £1.1m.

“Shackell is the sort of player that we need,” another Rams supporter said. “Whatever Burnley buy him for, he’ll be worth every penny. Just like he was to us.”

On Saturday, Shackell was announced as man of the match as the Clarets beat reigning Premier League champions Manchester City.

City pressed and pressed, but could find no way through.

Aided by Michael Duff and the rest of the Burnley defence, Shackell put his body in the way time and again.

A tackle on Edin Dzeko denied the Bosnian a seemingly certain first-half goal, after David Silva had delivered the sort of first time, defence splitting pass that fellow Spaniard Cesc Fabregas had memorably produced for Chelsea at Turf Moor in the opening game of the season.

If tiki-taka was new to Burnley in August, by now Shackell was wise to it.

Shackell is the Clarets’ captain, but he has rarely made the headlines this season.

Perhaps the most notable story about him was the poll that voted him as the fifth most attractive player in the Premier League – and also comically asserted that ‘divorcees love Danny Ings’.

But Derby fans were not worried about their team becoming that little bit uglier.

They knew that Shackell’s departure would damage their chances of success, and so it proved.

Yes, the Rams may be challenging for promotion now, but they remain in the Championship a year after Burnley ascended to the top flight.

A mistake from a centre back ultimately cost them victory in the play-off final against Queens Park Rangers.

The Clarets’ survival hopes are still firmly in the balance, but that they are in this position at all is in part down to Shackell.

He is Mr Dependable, the defender who has started Burnley’s last 112 league matches.

Only injury at Newcastle United on New Year’s Day ended a run of more than two years without missing a single minute of action.

The man who signed him, Eddie Howe, departed for Bournemouth only a few months after Shackell’s arrival.

But the defender soon became the rock at the heart of Sean Dyche’s new and improved back line.

Throw in a goal in Burnley’s first win over Blackburn Rovers in 35 years, and Shackell’s impact with the Clarets has been immense following an era when defensive solidity was not always the club’s biggest strength.

Even if Burnley go down this year, one season in the Premier League will have been worth around £120m to them.

With more performances like the one Shackell produced on Saturday, the Clarets may yet earn a second campaign in the top flight.

“He’ll be worth every penny,” that Derby fan said three years ago.

You can be pretty sure they were right.

Burnley must have read the silly figures being put about for Ince and are trying to milk the cow for every last drop. I'd like him back but I'd not pay a penny above 2.5mil. 1mil and Keogh would be my perfect scenario. 

Burnley must have read the silly figures being put about for Ince and are trying to milk the cow for every last drop. I'd like him back but I'd not pay a penny above 2.5mil. 1mil and Keogh would be my perfect scenario. 

I'd settle for a bag of chips plus Keogh + 1mil

http://m.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/11866862.Chris_Flanagan_column__Burnley_skipper_Jason_Shackell_was_worth_every_penny/?ref=twtrec

IT was the summer of 2012 and the mood in Derby was not good.

“Gutted,” one fan said.

“God awful decision by Derby,” added another.

“Just when we thought it was all slotting into place, they go and sell our best player,” said a third.

MORE TOP STORIES:

CLAIM: 'Publican left man with serious brain injury during mass brawl'
'Polite' burglar who preyed on elderly trapped by cup of tea
Top Burnley nightclub closed and building repossessed
East Lancs drivers face 26 weeks of work on motorway

Controversially, Derby County were on the verge of selling their captain, Jason Shackell, to Burnley for a fee of around £1.1m.

“Shackell is the sort of player that we need,” another Rams supporter said. “Whatever Burnley buy him for, he’ll be worth every penny. Just like he was to us.”

On Saturday, Shackell was announced as man of the match as the Clarets beat reigning Premier League champions Manchester City.

City pressed and pressed, but could find no way through.

Aided by Michael Duff and the rest of the Burnley defence, Shackell put his body in the way time and again.

A tackle on Edin Dzeko denied the Bosnian a seemingly certain first-half goal, after David Silva had delivered the sort of first time, defence splitting pass that fellow Spaniard Cesc Fabregas had memorably produced for Chelsea at Turf Moor in the opening game of the season.

If tiki-taka was new to Burnley in August, by now Shackell was wise to it.

Shackell is the Clarets’ captain, but he has rarely made the headlines this season.

Perhaps the most notable story about him was the poll that voted him as the fifth most attractive player in the Premier League – and also comically asserted that ‘divorcees love Danny Ings’.

But Derby fans were not worried about their team becoming that little bit uglier.

They knew that Shackell’s departure would damage their chances of success, and so it proved.

Yes, the Rams may be challenging for promotion now, but they remain in the Championship a year after Burnley ascended to the top flight.

A mistake from a centre back ultimately cost them victory in the play-off final against Queens Park Rangers.

The Clarets’ survival hopes are still firmly in the balance, but that they are in this position at all is in part down to Shackell.

He is Mr Dependable, the defender who has started Burnley’s last 112 league matches.

Only injury at Newcastle United on New Year’s Day ended a run of more than two years without missing a single minute of action.

The man who signed him, Eddie Howe, departed for Bournemouth only a few months after Shackell’s arrival.

But the defender soon became the rock at the heart of Sean Dyche’s new and improved back line.

Throw in a goal in Burnley’s first win over Blackburn Rovers in 35 years, and Shackell’s impact with the Clarets has been immense following an era when defensive solidity was not always the club’s biggest strength.

Even if Burnley go down this year, one season in the Premier League will have been worth around £120m to them.

With more performances like the one Shackell produced on Saturday, the Clarets may yet earn a second campaign in the top flight.

“He’ll be worth every penny,” that Derby fan said three years ago.

You can be pretty sure they were right.

Anyone have an update on what happened with the burglar who was trapped by a cup of tea?

Anyone have an update on what happened with the burglar who was trapped by a cup of tea?

So it starts to become clearer on the Buxton-McClaren argument and that cup of tea, the question is, who was doing the burgling? 

True yet we are going for the most obvious targets.. Not complaining as I do rate the signings couldn't be happier.

Like you said thoe with the boasting from him regarding his network we've have not used it well.

Archived