Giles Barnes

matty1

Not that long ago we had people, in all seriousness, wanting Shaun Barker in the team after almost 3 years with no football at all. Now people are objecting to a player because of his form 3 or 4 years ago.

I think I need someone to explain it to me.

If you don't like the lad, just say so.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that long ago we had people, in all seriousness, wanting Shaun Barker in the team after almost 3 years with no football at all. Now people are objecting to a player because of his form 3 or 4 years ago.

I think I need someone to explain it to me.

If you don't like the lad, just say so.

​I think it has more to do with the usual English arrogance in overestimating the quality of our national leagues. Yes, the MLS isn't as good as the premiership, but some of the accusations regarding its quality are ludicrous.

Barnes retired from professional football in 2012, playing amateur for the last 3 years, would be a silly signing.

​I have never read a statement that so perfectly captured the reason England is a failure on the international football stage so frequently and so completely. There is nothing wrong with the quality of players produced, it's all down to the mindset held collectively, completely underestimating those around them, and undervaluing that which they don't know. 

​I have never read a statement that so perfectly captured the reason England is a failure on the international football stage so frequently and so completely. There is nothing wrong with the quality of players produced, it's all down to the mindset held collectively, completely underestimating those around them, and undervaluing that which they don't know. 

Don't blame Hodgsons team selections on me!

Barnes has finally had a consistent run of games and been injury free for a few seasons, he is scoring goals in a league that isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

No doubt he has matured as a player, dont see why people are so against this? Basing him on how he was at 21 or younger is ridiculous, if it was a 26yr old we hadnt heard of would you be so interested in how he was as a player and person at such a young age 5yrs ago?

Been players who have had worse attitudes or done worse at a young age and gone on to have decent careers...Ian Wright to name one

The way I see it if he's cheap no harm no foul.. We can just sell him or loan him and be back in the black.. If he comes back and contributes to the team then he'll be a cheap and good signing that helps us stay in the FFP regulations. 

So because a nearly-always wrong hack has suggested that Mel Morris is going to '…tell Paul Clement to sign Giles Barnes', the board goes into meltdown amidst accusations of interfering chairmen?

I'm going outside to have a beer in the sunshine. You lot are just too depressing.

When we had him Giles Barnes was a decent player in a pretty functional and uneventful promotion winning Derby team. He is currently playing well and looks a great player but amongst a load of amateurs and retirees.

This is ignoring the fact he ran off to Fulham as soon as the going got tough and isn't heldin high regard by many Derby fans. I in all honesty I don't want him back especially when you compare him to the likes of Ince.

Save your money for something better Mel.

​Yeah, just like that plonker Chris Martin ended up being top scorer at Derby 2 years running, must be a rubbish leag... oh...

He was top scorer in a league that included players like Robbie Keane, Obafemi Martins, Clint Dempsey and Landon Donovan. He had previously shown his scoring abilities at Charlton in League One. His time at Soton you seem to be referencing was now in excess of 6 years ago at this point. 

Looking at various player records for goalscorers, this isn't even close to the Scottish situation, where you can pretty estimate a strikers strike rate in one league or another by double their Championship goals per game if going to Scotland, or halving it if coming from Scotland. Yet, we've still successfully picked up good players from Scotland. 

That said, I don't actually want Barnes, and the prospect that the chairman is meddling with the transfer policy would be something of a worry. 

​You've sort of shot yourself in the foot there...

All of the players you mentioned are all past their peak and left to the US to continue their careers that they couldn't continue anywhere else. Jozy Altidore looked like a world beater in the MLS but then came on loan to Sunderland and looked incredibly average.

So, while the MLS is certainly a league on the rise, it's not one where stats prevail over playing ability. A reverse example is Bradley Wright Phillips, couldn't cut it in the Championship so left for the US where he is being hailed as an incredible talent and banging in goals left right and centre.

Giles Barnes had potential while he was with us but spending time playing in the MLS won't have developed him as a player that much. He's certainly not on the same level as other wide players we've been linked with ie. Ince, Weimann

What has changed your mind from 12 hours ago?  Was it my informed post an hour ago? 

And you shouldn't try to beat honesty JW.  Thrash dishonesty all you like.

​I'm just not particularly excited by Weimann at all.

I didnt read your post, but im sure it was a load of bo11ocks

So because a nearly-always wrong hack has suggested that Mel Morris is going to '…tell Paul Clement to sign Giles Barnes', the board goes into meltdown amidst accusations of interfering chairmen?

I'm going outside to have a beer in the sunshine. You lot are just too depressing.

A tad overboard there:lol:

Archived