Giles Barnes

matty1

I enjoyed the clips, and whilst it is clearly devised to show him at his best, and I know little about the comparable standard of the MLS, 3 things stood out for me.  

1) he wasn't playing in the greatest team - you don't see much other than Houston 0 or at best Houston 1 when he scores his goals, 

2) like ANON said the vast majority of the goals were of the highest technical order. Still looks a remarkably talented individual who is about to hit what for most players is considered their prime (26 - 30),

3) our groundsman might need to order up an extra set of corner flags as Barnes goal scoring celebration looks like he is more of a danger to them than Connor's shooting.

I personally think this could be a really good addition. I don't like the idea of Mel interfering, but we know not that is true. He has evident quality, he has most likely matured, he would come into a dressing room where there are players who would deal with his supposed "big time Charlie" attitude, and he seems to be behind his fitness difficulties.

p.s. If anybody has the time and interest in doing some statistics, can you when this thread comes to a close please work out a percentage for me of how many posters here are saying no thanks Barnes is injury prone and been out of the English game for 3 years, but were also saying/wanting they would like Barker to have been picked/retained towards the end of last season. 

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair seeing how big Sam has operated at the club in the 2 yrs he's been on board i cant imagine for 1 minute he'd allow meddling in first team affairs. Saying that beware local ownership as they engage heart before brain (Lionel, Gadsby). Hope this change in direction doesnt come back to bite us and we end up crawling on bended knee to the ownership group in the US.

they are still the majority share holders so any budgets and spending will be sanctioned by them. We are not locally owned by any stretch of the imagination.

I hope McLarens downfall wasn't the fact he wouldn't sign players suggested to him by the new chairman.

What happened to the days of a football manager identifying players he wants to sign.

I think I need to watch the Damned United again and watch the Dave McKay transfer play out again....and listen to Sam Longson telling Cloughie "you can't win nothing with players like Colin Fluppin Todd"...priceless

Barnes hasn't been injured since 2012, and hasn't had a serious injury since 2011. 

Last MLS season he started every game and finished all bar four, with the earliest sub off at 74'.

So far this season, he has played in every MLS game for 90 minutes, even captained the side on one occasion, and scored six goals in 12 matches. 

As I said previously, he's a different person, player and option now. I wouldn't want to spend big on him, but if a deal could be struck that's right for us and him then I'd see him as a potentially good option. 

I personally think this could be a really good addition. I don't like the idea of Mel interfering, but we know not that is true. He has evident quality, he has most likely matured, he would come into a dressing room where there are players who would deal with his supposed "big time Charlie" attitude, and he seems to be behind his fitness difficulties.

​Very much agree with this.

I could imagine, an Day 1, old-time big-time Charlie Giles Barnes coming into the dressing room and saying 'That always used to be my peg' - then Bucko tearing said peg out of the wall (along with half a dozen bricks) and handing it to him with a wry smile.

PistoldPete2

I don't like these report saying Mel morris tells  the new manager to buy a player. I doubt the reports are true. If we are in for Barnes it will be due to chris Evans and co. With clement having final say. As for Barnes, would be gamble but maybe an option coming off the bench. 

I'm happy for Giles that he's finding some success out in the USA but I can't help but think it says more about the quality of that league than it does about him. I think moving back to derby would be a terible move for him personally let alone the club. He's doing nicely out in USA he's best to stay there and not drag back up all the disappointment in all his potential to be an England international slipping away,

I Won't Believe Until DcfcJason Signs Up And Tells Us How Amazing He Barnes Really Is.

I like what you did there!  That writing style he had was very confusing. Many people find ways to make typing faster and easier, him starting every word upper case was just mad! 

As for Barnes, he was a big time Charlie who acted as if he'd achieved everything to achieve in the game. 

He must have seen the error of his ways. I remember him being at house parties in Nottingham whilst on crutches. Mental  

I don't like these report saying Mel morris tells  the new manager to buy a player. I doubt the reports are true. If we are in for Barnes it will be due to chris Evans and co. With clement having final say. As for Barnes, would be gamble but maybe an option coming off the bench. 

​It's not a report.

It's conjecture. Whereas Nixon and co find it very easy to get into the minds of fans (there being basically a lot of empty space in there), I doubt that he demonstrates the same ability with owners. He's an angler, and this is his first handful of loose-fed maggots.

Clement's arrival interview, when asked what type of coach he was... He said he was a pragmatic one because at Madrid, the owner bought the players and he and Ancelotti had to coach whatever they were given. 

In McClaren's exit statement to sky Sports, he said Derby's new owner wanted a change in direction that McClaren didn't agree with. 

​Putting 2 and  2 together... 

SM will have mega problems at Newcastle then!!  According to the Mirror/red button  Ashley intends coming off the board but not relinquishing any power. He will personally oversee the spending of the 60M transfer pot.........

Perhaps that is why Vieira backed out !!

Back to Giles Barnes ............... whatever he was he did as he was told on the pitch  including playing in 5 different positions during one game.    He left us with a long-standing Achilles problem . Presume this has finally cleared up and He has grown up.      If so maybe .........................

Another person who thinks of Barnes as a winger. I do seem to have odd moments where something I swear is true is apparently not and I'm convinced I've gone to sleep and woke up in a parallel universe where everything is exactly the same apart from one particular fact. That seems to have happened again because I could have sworn Barnes played centrally as of yesterday 

​Barnes was always massively more effective in the centre than out wide. But there was a frustration that TSP would sometimes play him out wide to accommodate other people in the team. People on here have given the example of his goal against Sunderland "that season". IIRC, we were losing to the league leaders in a key promotion battle, Davies brought Barnes on down the middle and he completely took over the game and scored (yet another) wonder goal. Derby had all the momentum. Sunderland had no answer to Barnes and couldn't handle him. But then Davies brought someone else on and shifted young Giles out to the wing, completely nullifying him.

But I maintain for him personally he will have a good life in Texas, and the demands on his body will not be as great. He really should stay there, despite his undoubted ability. When I wrote earlier that in his breakthrough season he was better than Huddlestone or Hughes, anyone on here should know I am a massive fan of Hughes (and was ridiculed on old forums for saying Tom was one of the best passers in the world). But Giles made and scored goals, lots of them, often wonder goals, and that's what's hardest in football.

​Yeah, just like that plonker Chris Martin ended up being top scorer at Derby 2 years running, must be a rubbish leag... oh...

He was top scorer in a league that included players like Robbie Keane, Obafemi Martins, Clint Dempsey and Landon Donovan. He had previously shown his scoring abilities at Charlton in League One. His time at Soton you seem to be referencing was now in excess of 6 years ago at this point. 

Looking at various player records for goalscorers, this isn't even close to the Scottish situation, where you can pretty estimate a strikers strike rate in one league or another by double their Championship goals per game if going to Scotland, or halving it if coming from Scotland. Yet, we've still successfully picked up good players from Scotland. 

That said, I don't actually want Barnes, and the prospect that the chairman is meddling with the transfer policy would be something of a worry. 

Saw Obafemi Martins in action about a week ago miles away from his best but still getting a game regular

This signing would excite me more than Weimann to beat honest.

What has changed your mind from 12 hours ago?  Was it my informed post an hour ago? 

And you shouldn't try to beat honesty JW.  Thrash dishonesty all you like.

​Barnes was always massively more effective in the centre than out wide. But there was a frustration that TSP would sometimes play him out wide to accommodate other people in the team. People on here have given the example of his goal against Sunderland "that season". IIRC, we were losing to the league leaders in a key promotion battle, Davies brought Barnes on down the middle and he completely took over the game and scored (yet another) wonder goal. Derby had all the momentum. Sunderland had no answer to Barnes and couldn't handle him. But then Davies brought someone else on and shifted young Giles out to the wing, completely nullifying him.

I remember that. In fact I think that game is the main reason I think of Barnes as a midfielder. Didn't Sunderland get a dodgy penalty or something after that?

Setting Clement a target of top 6 minimum then giving him Giles Barnes is like giving a chef a bag of pork scratchings and a cucumber and expecting him to create a 3 course meal. 

Barnes retired from professional football in 2012, playing amateur for the last 3 years, would be a silly signing.

Why does it feel like we're trying to create a romantic fairy tale? Appointing Clough the son of Brian, bringing back Riggott, Barker recovery keeping the dream alive he will return, McClaren the assistant of the Bald Eagle and now Barnes.

I hope this is one of Nixons failed scoops.

If Barnes is fit and injury free then why not. That guy used to destroy defences on his own. 

I remember every goal he got was a contender for goal of the month. 

His best position is behind the striker. 

So him and Martin up front with Hughes and Thorne in holding, Ince and Russle on the wings would destroy teams.

But for his sake, he's better off there. I fear a return for him is risky for his sake. 

Setting Clement a target of top 6 minimum then giving him Giles Barnes is like giving a chef a bag of pork scratchings and a cucumber and expecting him to create a 3 course meal. 

Barnes retired from professional football in 2012, playing amateur for the last 3 years, would be a silly signing.

Why does it feel like we're trying to create a romantic fairy tale? Appointing Clough the son of Brian, bringing back Riggott, Barker recovery keeping the dream alive he will return, McClaren the assistant of the Bald Eagle and now Barnes.

I hope this is one of Nixons failed scoops.

​Starter - cucumber escalopes

Main meal - roast scratchings

Pudding - cucumber porky crumble.

What's not to like?

Archived