Steve McClaren 'set for formal talks' with Newcastle United

mikeyoung

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All teams have injuries,perhaps we had more critical ones at particular times of the season,but when your winning 2.0 at home with 89 mins on the clock you don't expect to lose.When your beating forest at home (a team that hadn't won't in months) you don't expect to lose and when you only require a draw at home on the last day of the season you don't expect to lose against a very poor Reading team.

The fact of the matter dispite pulling in some results during the season the defence has been shocking for most of the season,we never looked comfortable winning games.Mac may be a good coach but a poor manager and obviously didn't have the ability to inspire players to perform to their abilities.

​Not so. When something like this happens, laywers draw up a "compromise agreement" that sets out how much the employer will pay, over what time period, and what conditions the ex-employee has to adhere to, in order to get the payment. Conditions often include not being in other employment, and not talking to the press.

​I've had one or two of these in my time.......

The norm is to make a single payment on "termination date" and conditions usually drive up to that date although there can be the odd non-compete clause thereafter. I presume any "non gain employment" clause must be a feature of these arrangements where sums are significantly higher than my paltry subsistence.

All teams have injuries,perhaps we had more critical ones at particular times of the season,but when your winning 2.0 at home with 89 mins on the clock you don't expect to lose.When your beating forest at home (a team that hadn't won't in months) you don't expect to lose and when you only require a draw at home on the last day of the season you don't expect to lose against a very poor Reading team.

The fact of the matter dispite pulling in some results during the season the defence has been shocking for most of the season,we never looked comfortable winning games.Mac may be a good coach but a poor manager and obviously didn't have the ability to inspire players to perform to their abilities.

​We conceded the 8th least amount of goals throughout the season, even with the terrible run at the end. We conceded less goals than any of Nigel's seasons in charge (I'm a huge fan of Nigel so that isn't a dig at him). Yet, this is shocking defending? 

McClaren created the beast of high expectations, and now he's being slaughtered with it. 

Same question to you Super Rams. What did you make of Macs last performance?

​Ooo, ooooo.  I know...

It was excellent and in no way did it look as though the players were not playing for the manager.  You could tell from how incredibly organised and committed we were that they gave their everything for the cause.

Gold star for me :D

What do people make of Mac's last performance?  Or the team's last performance under him? 

I'll answer  both of these quotes in one, the last performance under McClaren is no different to about 100 I've seen in the last 15 years under Todd, Gregory,  Burley, Brown, Davies, Jewell and Clough, and I reckon if you asked 100 fans of 100 different teams, they'd all say that their team has chucked out a similar performance in the last couple of seasons. It's amazing just how many "worst performance ever"s there was in the last year!  

The fact that these players didn't perform for this manager AND they also didn't perform for the last manager makes me think they could NOT perform for future manager(s), so on that basis, I'd have changed the handful that didn't abs kept the manager!  

So many assumptions in this thread.

People were more gutted when Clough left which I find hilarious.

People taking the end of the season far too much at face value, when there's so much more to it than that. 

If Darren Bent scored that penno there is a high percentage chance that we would have finished at least 6th. 

If Mac takes the glory for the wins he takes the stick for the losses. The point being that the last performance was worse than anything I have seen in a very long time. I base my opinions on what I see and perceive. Needing just one point to get into the playoffs they all should have been busting a gut. Something wasn't right. Something needed fixing. Those in the know seem to agree that Mac needed to go.

Firstly, we didn't lose at all when two up in the 89th minute so what are you on about? 

Secondly, show me a manager or coach that can turn a bad player into a good one.  You can inspire people to be their best, sometimes you can get them to over perform, but nobody can sustain it. 

We papered over the cracks of a shaky defence with attacking prowess, but once that left, the cracks were visible. You can put a golden saddle on a donkey, but it doesn't make it a thoroughbred horse ? it stays a donkey. In other words ,the best coaches in the world wouldnt stop a choker being a choker ! 

why do people compare mclarens reign to cloughs. The side mclaren inherited was much stronger then the one clough did, The mac also had plenty more funds available. 

​Pointless comparing it to Jewell's

So many assumptions in this thread.

People were more gutted when Clough left which I find hilarious.

​Because this forum is full of old tosser's who think his dad was God and therefore very sentimental about the name.

BTW that includes me.

PistoldPete2

What do people make of Mac's last performance?  Or the team's last performance under him? 

I'll answer  both of these quotes in one, the last performance under McClaren is no different to about 100 I've seen in the last 15 years under Todd, Gregory,  Burley, Brown, Davies, Jewell and Clough, and I reckon if you asked 100 fans of 100 different teams, they'd all say that their team has chucked out a similar performance in the last couple of seasons. It's amazing just how many "worst performance ever"s there was in the last year!  

The fact that these players didn't perform for this manager AND they also didn't perform for the last manager makes me think they could NOT perform for future manager(s), so on that basis, I'd have changed the handful that didn't abs kept the manager!  

I think the performance against reading was as bad as anything I can remember, taking into account the opposition, the fact they had nothing to play for and yet we had everything to play for. 

Todd, Gregory , Billy davies and jewells teams played badly against much better opposition in the pRem, and jewells teams carried on playing badly in the championship. Talk to readings fans and they will tell you how badly they had been playing... So to lose 3-0 at home against an out of form team missing their best players  was unforgivable. 

But it in any case they key point is not whether you can think of worse performances , TBH I am struggling to think of any, but to save such a performance for when it really mattered just shows a team totally lacking in bottle. To fail such a crucial test is bound to lead to the kind of critical re-examination that has led the Board to act as they have. 

​Do you end every one of your posts with 'end of'? I don't think it's really having the desired effect. 

I'm not one for 'I told you so'. I judge the situation at the time and I'll stick to it. Steve McClaren was a fantastic manager for Derby and whatever comes next, he was sacked for horrible reasons. 

I usually see eye to eye on most things with you Rob, but I am really struggling to see your point of view.  Let me give you another perspective.  You want to be an Investment Banker. I hope you achieve that aim, and are mightily successful.  But in addition to talent and performance, you will find trust and discretion are equally key. If you have the first two you will be headhunted.  Your bosses will be aware you will be headhunted. You would be advised to keep any contact you have with other Banks or intermediaries absolutely private, and certainly not share it with mates and workmates. Equally, until you have a signed binding contract in your hand, you keep telling your current employers how happy you are, how committed you are, and that you have had no contact with any potential suitors.  You look your boss in the eye and you say "I am 100% committed to the firm Boss - I ain't going nowhere!". Anything less than that leaves you vulnerable.  This is good advice, whether you are an aspiring Investment Banker or a seasoned Football Manager.  

McClaren's loyalty or apparent lack of it is in the eye of the beholders. No one's going to change their minds.

Personally I think the fans were whipped up by the media, because people are easily manipuilated - it's what the media do. If anyone thought rationally about it, McClaren would always prefer Derby to Newcastle. To my mind he was clear about his commitment to Derby. And I'm gutted because we've lostthe best chance for a long time of getting to and establishing ourselves in the top flight. I recall Sam rush saying how crucial McClaren was to that because of his contacts and brilliant coaching, meaning in the first couple of seasons we would receive the highest quality loans enabling us to lay the foundations to prosper long term.

Of course now things have changed and he needs a job and to prove himself elsewhere. He'd prefer West Ham (possibly Klopp?) or Sunderland (possibly Clement?), but if he doesn't get those he needs to take the Newcastle job.  So he has to open talks with the damned Ashley, who no one would want to work for if they had a choice.

Your argument is kinda invalid.  Unless you can name the players in our current team who all played under the previous managers you mentioned??? 

However, the point you make about the defensive frailties being papered over by the attack is valid.  We seemed leakier this season because, after games like the 3-3 at Brum, Schteve wanted us to control game's possession more.  I think the stats say that we let more clean sheets this season but everyone thinks it's been worse cus we've invited the pressure by not attacking more.  His decision, his error...

Firstly, we didn't lose at all when two up in the 89th minute so what are you on about? 

Secondly, show me a manager or coach that can turn a bad player into a good one.  You can inspire people to be their best, sometimes you can get them to over perform, but nobody can sustain it. 

We papered over the cracks of a shaky defence with attacking prowess, but once that left, the cracks were visible. You can put a golden saddle on a donkey, but it doesn't make it a thoroughbred horse ? it stays a donkey. In other words ,the best coaches in the world wouldnt stop a choker being a choker ! 

Apologies only 2 nil up in the 90 th min and draw,if that acceptable defending you have been supporting the right club all season

Your argument is kinda invalid.  Unless you can name the players in our current team who all played under the previous managers you mentioned??? 

However, the point you make about the defensive frailties being papered over by the attack is valid.  We seemed leakier this season because, after games like the 3-3 at Brum, Schteve wanted us to control game's possession more.  I think the stats say that we let more clean sheets this season but everyone thinks it's been worse cus we've invited the pressure by not attacking more.  His decision, his error...

​My argument isn't invalid. The validity is the fact that at many points in the season, in any season, one team will play much better than they normally would and another will totally collapse.

Archived