Steve McClaren 'set for formal talks' with Newcastle United

mikeyoung

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​If I wanted the job, I'd take the job. Football is a very quick industry with short shelf life. You could be favourite to be England manager 1 year, and then 2 years later, unemployed. Fact is, this accusation of flirting etc, prove it! He didn't leave, twice he had the chance, but didn't.

I agree with you - I am just suggesting that those who are branding him as disloyal based on his supposed head turning would have done exactly the same in his shoes.

It wasn't lack of loyalty that got to me, football is a very public business and it was us lack of straight answers that cost him and arguably the football club. If he is like that in public maybe he is also not exactly straight talking in private with the players; easy to lose their respect!!

​I got the impression that SR was saying that,whilst SM was happy about most of the 'direction',there was some of it he perhaps disagreed with.I'm just wondering if our owners are keen to see one or two Academy players being introduced;after all they've ploughed rather a lot of loot into this.I remember Mourinho,shortly before a cup game,was asked if a certain young player was going to feature.His reply was that it was pointless having an Academy if you didn't give the players a chance,otherwise it would make sense to scrap it and spend the money on transfer fees for established players.

You could perhaps understand SM's reticence if this were the case,as it'd be fairly hard to mount a promotion challenge whilst blooding youngsters, and I'd hope our owners would make allowance for this (if it's the case). 

​The irony is that if Steve had filled the gaps with academy/development players and just missed out on the play offs he may have kept his job!

​The irony is that if Steve had filled the gaps with academy/development players and just missed out on the play offs he may have kept his job!

​Funny you should say that. Sam Rush said that the club has a distinct philosophy, and says "some of that Steve bought into, some he didn't".

I think "some he didn't" is in respect to using youngsters. The reason we packed out our U21s with starlets was with a view to them breathing down the necks of the first team once they had settled. I think perhaps the board wanted more Rawson and Calero rather than Albentosa and Lingard (easy to pick on them as 'flops' I know but that's my view).

I'm guessing obviously, but in the absence of an answer (we'll probably never know), then my guess is as good as any!

​Funny you should say that. Sam Rush said that the club has a distinct philosophy, and says "some of that Steve bought into, some he didn't".

I think "some he didn't" is in respect to using youngsters. The reason we packed out our U21s with starlets was with a view to them breathing down the necks of the first team once they had settled. I think perhaps the board wanted more Rawson and Calero rather than Albentosa and Lingard (easy to pick on them as 'flops' I know but that's my view).

I'm guessing obviously, but in the absence of an answer (we'll probably never know), then my guess is as good as any!

​I hadn't looked at it that way. Interesting point.

Twenty managerial changes i the Championship last year. Leeds  and Watford had four each! Average tenure is eight months. How can a club have a direction when it has not had time to change direction in eight months from the last one. The £130 million is the direction. If enough progress is not made then you get the bullet. Steve has had two cracks at the Pot of Gold and did not get there so he was sacked. Twenty other managers in the Championship did not get the Pot of Gold either.Paul Clement will be paid a lot of money and will have to agree to a large escape clause if he is poached. Avoiding poaching by newspaper speculation is now a top priority. I did not hear Sam Rush saying that Newcastle were given official permission to speak to Steve on either of two occasions. Did I miss something or was it not given? If it was given why was it not released as a statement from Derby? If it was not given, why was it not refuted. I may have missed something.If it was given and Steve turned it down, was that not a statement of commitment in January? Any successful manager will attract a great deal of speculation, some of it will in fact be true or be part of a deliberate policy to unsettle people or clubs. Howe did not turn anyone down and yet he won the LMA Manager award.

​Unless the club tells us any different Tombo then your guess is as relevant as anyone else's.

Paul Clement to pocket £2.7m-a-year Derby County contract upon becoming Steve McClaren's successor

• Paul Clement to agree £2.7m deal with Derby County on Friday
  • The Real Madrid assistant is to spurn late advances from Sunderland
  • Sunderland could turn to former Derby boss Steve McClaren  

By SIMON JONES FOR THE DAILY MAIL

PUBLISHED: 22:33, 28 May 2015 UPDATED: 00:12, 29 May 2015

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
38shares

View comments

Paul Clement will accept the manager's job at Derby County on Friday on a salary of around £2.7m a year despite late interest from Sunderland. 

Clement is leaving Real Madrid where he and Carlo Ancelotti are to be replaced by Rafa Benitez who officially announced his departure from Napoli.   

Derby recently sacked Steve McClaren after failure to earn promotion to the Premier League, as they see the Real Madrid assistant as the perfect replacement.

Paul Clement will agree a deal with Derby on Friday, believed to be around £2.7m a year, to become boss

Paul Clement will agree a deal with Derby on Friday, believed to be around £2.7m a year, to become boss

I don't think it helped with all the public Q and As with the fans keep asking about Newcastle I feel Rush could feel the frustration amongst rams fans and rightly so.

The whole saga feels like Mclaren has laid his bed and now has to lie in it.

When did SR say that Schteve didn't buy into everything? 

When did SR say that Schteve didn't buy into everything? 

"We sat down and talked about the vision and the plans for the club, and what we are looking to achieve. I think while a lot of what we were looking to do Steve bought into, some of it he didn't and so I think the decision was the right one."

Read more: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-chief-executive-Sam-Rush-says-time/story-26577082-detail/story.html#ixzz3bWkGsjzh 
Follow us: @DerbyTelegraph on Twitter | derbytelegraph on Facebook

"We sat down and talked about the vision and the plans for the club, and what we are looking to achieve. I think while a lot of what we were looking to do Steve bought into, some of it he didn't and so I think the decision was the right one."

Read more: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-chief-executive-Sam-Rush-says-time/story-26577082-detail/story.html#ixzz3bWkGsjzh 
Follow us: @DerbyTelegraph on Twitter | derbytelegraph on Facebook

​It would be interesting to know what McClaren bought into and what he didn't, Utch.

I'm not very good at riddles, and I've never been comfortable with speculation, so basically I haven't got a clue what he was referring to other than (my interpretation here….) the fact that it was the board's money and they didn't trust McClaren to spend it wisely.

Maybe he didn't buy into what is still the long term plan  -   to get into the Prem , stabilise, and become an  established Premier League club.  Maybe his love for the club doesn't stretch that far.  It involves medium term commitment. Which is what they thought they had when he was appointed. And have recently discovered they had not .

Could be off to Sunderland?

​Hope so. Would stop the ******* jibbering on about him going there.

Had a look on the RTG Sunderland forum and they have a thread called manager you'd least want, Clement and McClaren have appeared a fair few times.

​Hope so. Would stop the ******* jibbering on about him going there.

Had a look on the RTG Sunderland forum and they have a thread called manager you'd least want, Clement and McClaren have appeared a fair few times.

​Yeah true.

Archived