Steve McClaren 'set for formal talks' with Newcastle United

mikeyoung

​Sorry ,I think we are about to find out he hasn't left us in a fantastic position .His buys have been average at best and need to go.

We spent a fortune on loan players that didn't pay off we still need to spend significantly to challenge next year. .The more I think about it the more the board was right.

Before Mac came we were sitting in 14th and preparing for another season of mid table mediocrity. As soon as he comes in we storm up the table with the same squad that Clough had (bar a few loan signings). We beat Forest 5-0 and end up finishing 3rd and narrowly miss out on promotion.

He bought attacking football to our club that attracted players such as Jordon Ibe, Tom Ince and Darren Bent to play with us, a few years ago we would have laughed at the prospect of these players playing for us.

I swear some fans have short memories, we stuck with Clough for 4 years and his highest position was 10th whereas Macs lowest position was 8th and we sack him with a 54% win rate. 

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before Mac came we were sitting in 14th and preparing for another season of mid table mediocrity. As soon as he comes in we storm up the table with the same squad that Clough had (bar a few loan signings). We beat Forest 5-0 and end up finishing 3rd and narrowly miss out on promotion.

He bought attacking football to our club that attracted players such as Jordon Ibe, Tom Ince and Darren Bent to play with us, a few years ago we would have laughed at the prospect of these players playing for us.

I swear some fans have short memories, we stuck with Clough for 4 years and his highest position was 10th whereas Macs lowest position was 8th and we sack him with a 54% win rate. 

​I have a very long memory ,I have seen far better sides that the one over the last two years and yes I can remember the Clough days [both] .The 54% win rate means nothing iif the last 3 months are carried going forward.,and if you think Warnock ,Shotton and Christie [early form accepted] are good enough then you have no idea what a good player looks like.

Good on him. Screwed over by Derby but looks like he's going to land on his feet. Good luck Steve.

Why has he been screwed over?

Don't get me wrong, I'm actually on the fence about this sacking as i think he bought a lot to the club. But something is niggling me in the back of my head that suggests he's set up the Newcastle job all along and he's been rumbled.

That's why I think he's been sacked ( obviously I'm not ITK ).

if there is any possibility that is the case, then I'm pretty sure Rush, trained in the legal industry remember, would have gone down the tapping up route, getting MORE than compensation.

This really could be Newcastle being daft enough to go in again for someone that has supposedly rejected them before, now that he is free.

​Why would you despise him? Billy left us in a crap place, but McClaren has left us in a fantastic position. 

I wish McClaren all the best and I see nothing wrong with him going to Newcastle, he isn't contracted to us any more. 

Because he allowed what should have been another successful season to be derailed by not denouncing the Newcastle job. Then messes us about over compensation, and then (it seems) goes to the Newcastle job anyway. I wasn’t knocking his achievements on the pitch – if you read my post I listed them and point out that he should be a hero, but the way it’s ended leaves a bitter taste and I have no respect left for him.

​I have a very long memory ,I have seen far better sides that the one over the last two years and yes I can remember the Clough days [both] .The 54% win rate means nothing iif the last 3 months are carried going forward.,and if you think Warnock ,Shotton and Christie [early form accepted] are good enough then you have no idea what a good player looks like.

​Yes, I agree some of his permanent signings have not been great, Shotton is a decent squad player and Christie is still young, but I admit Warnock was a strange signing.

Then you could argue that you should place the blame on Chris Evans who scouts these players and decides to sign them and to be honest you can't judge a manager because of 3 signings.  

Because he allowed what should have been another successful season to be derailed by not denouncing the Newcastle job. Then messes us about over compensation, and then (it seems) goes to the Newcastle job anyway. I wasn’t knocking his achievements on the pitch – if you read my post I listed them and point out that he should be a hero, but the way it’s ended leaves a bitter taste and I have no respect left for him.

​I still don't believe that the Newcastle speculation derailed the season, it all began in January and our form dropped in March (I think). 

You really can't put him in the same light as Billy Davies after all Mac did for us. I wont despise him after 2 of the best years for this club in a decade. 

​Yes, I agree some of his permanent signings have not been great, Shotton is a decent squad player and Christie is still young, but I admit Warnock was a strange signing.

Then you could argue that you should place the blame on Chris Evans who scouts these players and decides to sign them and to be honest you can't judge a manager because of 3 signings.  

​Absolutely, I agree about Chris Evans it leaves a big question mark over his position in my mind .Don't get me wrong I enjoyed most of Steve's time here but I get the feeling he could not turn it round.

​I still don't believe that the Newcastle speculation derailed the season, it all began in January and our form dropped in March (I think). 

You really can't put him in the same light as Billy Davies after all Mac did for us. I wont despise him after 2 of the best years for this club in a decade. 

​Plus the fact that McClaren reiterated his commitment to Derby time and time again. 

Ha. Screwed over?  I think he was found out in the end. When things started going awry he hadn't a clue. Yes he was brilliant for us for one season and pretty good for 2/3rds of last season but a combination of injuries, poor selection, substitutions and system has left his reputation not looking so good. And who knows what went on behind the scenes regarding the speculation over Newcastle. And he never did definitely say that he was not interested in the post. 

​Absolutely, I agree about Chris Evans it leaves a big question mark over his position in my mind .Don't get me wrong I enjoyed most of Steve's time here but I get the feeling he could not turn it round.

​Ok, so you believe that he couldn't turn it around, I don't agree with you, but that is fine. What I don't understand is you said that he didn't leave us in a good position what I just don't get, I wanted Clough to go, but I firmly believe that he left us in a fantastic position, same with Mac. 

Ha. Screwed over?  I think he was found out in the end. When things started going awry he hadn't a clue. Yes he was brilliant for us for one season and pretty good for 2/3rds of last season but a combination of injuries, poor selection, substitutions and system has left his reputation not looking so good. And who knows what went on behind the scenes regarding the speculation over Newcastle. And he never did definitely say that he was not interested in the post. 

Would have helped if the quote from RLACML had appeared

Why has he been screwed over?

Don't get me wrong, I'm actually on the fence about this sacking as i think he bought a lot to the club. But something is niggling me in the back of my head that suggests he's set up the Newcastle job all along and he's been rumbled.

That's why I think he's been sacked ( obviously I'm not ITK ).

​Because he always said he was committed to finishing the job here and now they sack him because he wasn't committed enough. It's bull

Saying - 'I'm committed to finishing the job at Derby' is the respectful way of saying I'm not interested in the post. Other people are to blame​

​McClaren's win ratio at Derby is lower than Clough's was at Sheffield United.

Saying - 'I'm committed to finishing the job at Derby' is the respectful way of saying I'm not interested in the post. Other people are to blame​

Not sure why you've got this love-in thing going on with Big Mac. Who were these other people to blame for the appalling last 13 games? Obviously according to you, not the manager

yes he was good when the going was good. I can feel a song coming on - I used to love him but it's all over now

​Plus the fact that McClaren reiterated his commitment to Derby time and time again. 

​Fingers crossed?

I wonder if Derby have a 'tapping up' case against Newcastle?

Archived