Steve McClaren 'set for formal talks' with Newcastle United

mikeyoung

​Yeah, I heard when he said that - but Owen had to state 'yes or no' in the intro to that question, because he'd already spent a good minute or two trying to get a definitive response from him. Every time he answered he waffled on for a good minute and danced around the answer. My guess, because he was trying to find the right words to placate the fans and leave the door open simultaenously, that's why all his responses sounded so.....flimsy.

This is football, the door should never be shut. People should be able to handle these situations with a smidgen of common.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't deal with them very well? Quite an understatement. He was pathetic. Even you fellow Scot, who gives the impression that you think the sun shines from his nether regions would have to agree. Anyway onwards and upwards. Not sure why his departure is generating all these threads and comments and analysing to be honest. He's gone and there's nothing we can do about it. Look forward to the new manager now

Not an understatement. He made mistakes but there are some things you just can't account for.

Actions speak louder than words, or so the saying somewhat ironically goes. Some people are obsessed with the latter.

If we hadn't sacked him, would he still be here and planning for next season? I'd wager that yes, he would have been - ie honouring his contract in its final year, just as he said he would. That's as much commitment as you can demand in modern football, but clearly not as much as people would like.

This is football, the door should never be shut. People should be able to handle these situations with a smidgen of common.

​True, but I just wish he hadn't opened the door smack bang in the middle of our promotion season. I had/have no problem with him moving on, but he should have done it at the season end, and ensured he killed any interest while we were still pushing to go up.

​True, but I just wish he hadn't opened the door smack bang in the middle of our promotion season. I had/have no problem with him moving on, but he should have done it at the season end, and ensured he killed any interest while we were still pushing to go up.

Once again, he didn't open anything. The fans refusal to accept his committal meant that the story wouldn't die and the media just kept running with it.

We obviously just completely disagree but I'll leave it here.

Actions speak louder than words, or so the saying somewhat ironically goes. Some people are obsessed with the latter.

If we hadn't sacked him, would he still be here and planning for next season? I'd wager that yes, he would have been - ie honouring his contract in its final year, just as he said he would. That's as much commitment as you can demand in modern football, but clearly not as much as people would like.

Agree. No problem with him still honouring his contract Coconut. He would be here now planning for next season. My problem is that when the going got tough, (no I'm not going to break into song), he was found wanting. 

And forgive me but don't understand the context of your first line. But then I'm on my second bottle of Malbec so slightly fuddled. Hic

Agree. No problem with him still honouring his contract Coconut. He would be here now planning for next season. My problem is that when the going got tough, (no I'm not going to break into song), he was found wanting. 

And forgive me but don't understand the context of your first line. But then I'm on my second bottle of Malbec so slightly fuddled. Hic

Coconut. I've just had an epiphany. i have seen the light and understand now

​I took it that Coconut meant that actions speak louder than words, but some people are obsessed with words meaning more than action. In other words, they based their opinion of him & Newcastle on what he said rather than what he did (turned them down when they offered him the job).

Good on him. Screwed over by Derby but looks like he's going to land on his feet. Good luck Steve.

Again, we don't know the details. Also he gets his digs in and the following day he is in talks with Newcastle. 

Stop making stuff up dude. 

If anything Steve has been disrespectful to the club and fans. While the club has been professional. 

To only come up with his I am completely with the club after our catastrophic failure says a lot about the man. 

​Q) It boils down to a 'yes' or a 'no' for supporters. Yes or no, do you intend to be in charge of Derby County next season?

A) As I said, I am contracted to Derby County for the next two years, so yes.

What more did you want?

​You see – even in that answer, he had to dance around and make a statement about being under contract first – rather than just simply saying “yes”

If he had nothing to hide, he’d have just said yes. If he was being a sly, conniving old sausage, he’d give some snidey lawyer’s answer.

His tactics in answering that question were so hopeless his tongue was virtually playing Johnny Russell as a lone striker

Again, we don't know the details. Also he gets his digs in and the following day he is in talks with Newcastle. 

Stop making stuff up dude. 

If anything Steve has been disrespectful to the club and fans. While the club has been professional. 

To only come up with his I am completely with the club after our catastrophic failure says a lot about the man. 

​What's been made up? In what world has he been disrespectful? He only ever said he was committed to Derby (and backed it up by turning down the Newcastle jobs numerous times), then they turn round and say you aren't committed enough.

What do you expect him to do? Not move on with his life just to prove that he was indeed committed?

​You see – even in that answer, he had to dance around and make a statement about being under contract first – rather than just simply saying “yes”

If he had nothing to hide, he’d have just said yes. If he was being a sly, conniving old sausage, he’d give some snidey lawyer’s answer.

His tactics in answering that question were so hopeless his tongue was virtually playing Johnny Russell as a lone striker

​What he said was exactly what Sean Dyche said when he was asked about the speculation for the Derby job, but everyone believed Sean and the speculation stopped. The reason the rumours kept going on was because of the fans not wanting to give them up for some reason. 

Not sure why you've got this love-in thing going on with Big Mac. Who were these other people to blame for the appalling last 13 games? Obviously according to you, not the manager

yes he was good when the going was good. I can feel a song coming on - I used to love him but it's all over now

Not all his fault. You can coach somebody where to be, when to go, when to stay etc. You can choose their passing options. But the actual pass or punch or catch or header is all on them. There were a lot of goals that were down to the individual and those individuals have to accept a large responsibility in losing points. 

For example Wolves. McClaren gave the team all it needed to get something out that game. We played well enough. Wolves scored from a terrible "pass" from Forsyth and a "punch" from Grant. Lingard missing a typical Lingard sitter and the referee making a complete mess of a simple decision. 

There was a few like that. Games we were the better side but individual stupidity cost us. Simple stuff that you don't coach. 

Not that I'm saying he couldn't have performed better in the last third. But it's not all in his lap and some players are getting off lightly. 

Yet the answer was still yes, and as Coconut points out, his actions back up his answer. ​Even if he had just said yes, I do wonder whether that would even have been good enough for our fans. He turns down the Newcastle job for the last three games and the reaction is 'well he's obviously just waiting to see if they stay up'. 

Yet the answer was still yes, and as Coconut points out, his actions back up his answer. ​Even if he had just said yes, I do wonder whether that would even have been good enough for our fans. He turns down the Newcastle job for the last three games and the reaction is 'well he's obviously just waiting to see if they stay up'. 

​But it was the worst kept secret in sport that Newcastle were after him. I don't care if he was wrong or right to try and be all clever with his answers. I just respect honesty and he wasn't honest, so I don't respect him

Archived