Steve McClaren 'set for formal talks' with Newcastle United

mikeyoung

​Ok, so you believe that he couldn't turn it around, I don't agree with you, but that is fine. What I don't understand is you said that he didn't leave us in a good position what I just don't get, I wanted Clough to go, but I firmly believe that he left us in a fantastic position, same with Mac. 

​I am looking at it as a whole ,poor buys' we spent a lot on loans including fee's £300k for Ince etc .When it came to using Bent he couldn't find a system to fit. His selection was haphazard, look at the different combinations of the back four etc .So to me if you take the loans out and the poor buys we have a bit to do I think Clough left us in a better state than Steve from a squad perspective not results  is my point.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​Interesting eddie ,I must say shocked they got rid of him.

​Yep. Clough had a 56% win ratio to games played at Sheffield United.

I'm not shocked they got rid - another bunch with an over-inflated sense of false entitlement.

Like us

Not sure why you've got this love-in thing going on with Big Mac. Who were these other people to blame for the appalling last 13 games? Obviously according to you, not the manager

yes he was good when the going was good. I can feel a song coming on - I used to love him but it's all over now

​Putting words in my mouth are we? I didn't say he wasn't to blame for the collapse, I said he wasn't to blame for the continued speculation (the reason he was sacked). As for the collapse, injuries were the main reason for me but I also don't think McClaren dealt with them very well.

Why I've got a love in for our best manager in years? I wonder why.

'At the moment' - don't forget that bit

​Q) It boils down to a 'yes' or a 'no' for supporters. Yes or no, do you intend to be in charge of Derby County next season?

A) As I said, I am contracted to Derby County for the next two years, so yes.

What more did you want?

if there is any possibility that is the case, then I'm pretty sure Rush, trained in the legal industry remember, would have gone down the tapping up route, getting MORE than compensation.

This really could be Newcastle being daft enough to go in again for someone that has supposedly rejected them before, now that he is free.

​Yeah, but 'tapping up' could be mighty hard to prove though,Mostyn. I also think we're getting into dangerous territory even suggesting the possibility of this.

​Yeah, but 'tapping up' could be mighty hard to prove though,Mostyn. I also think we're getting into dangerous territory even suggesting the possibility of this.

​People are allowed to speculate 'I wonder if there is a possibility that...' - there's a world of difference between that and making an accusation.

​People are allowed to speculate 'I wonder if there is a possibility that...' - there's a world of difference between that and making an accusation.

​So would I be able to speculate ' I wonder if Mr X is a child molester..' , which introduces innuendo ,just by wondering about such possibility?

​oddly, in the previous 4 pages there are numerous suggestions that this is the case, none from me, in fact, I am the one suggesting it could just be timing!

​oddly, in the previous 4 pages there are numerous suggestions that this is the case, none from me, in fact, I am the one suggesting it could just be timing!

​Sorry,didn't mean to suggest you were the one getting into dangerous territory.

​So would I be able to speculate ' I wonder if Mr X is a child molester..' , which introduces innuendo ,just by wondering about such possibility?

​The press do it all the time

​McClaren's win ratio at Derby is lower than Clough's was at Sheffield United.

Not to question a genius, probably because I'm wrong but Didn't SM win 51 games, and NC only 46 ?

​Q) It boils down to a 'yes' or a 'no' for supporters. Yes or no, do you intend to be in charge of Derby County next season?

A) As I said, I am contracted to Derby County for the next two years, so yes.

What more did you want?

​Yeah, I heard when he said that - but Owen had to state 'yes or no' in the intro to that question, because he'd already spent a good minute or two trying to get a definitive response from him. Every time he answered he waffled on for a good minute and danced around the answer. My guess, because he was trying to find the right words to placate the fans and leave the door open simultaenously, that's why all his responses sounded so.....flimsy.

I just got a call at work from a salesman, from his intro I could tell he was angling up for a sales pitch so I told him we weren't looking for new suppliers at the minute. So then he starts to ask if there is a contact name he can email just to send us some info, I said 'WE ARE NOT INTERESTED'. Guess what, conversation ended. It's not a difficult thing to give a definitive answer when your mind is made up, it just comes straight out.

​I am looking at it as a whole ,poor buys' we spent a lot on loans including fee's £300k for Ince etc .When it came to using Bent he couldn't find a system to fit. His selection was haphazard, look at the different combinations of the back four etc .So to me if you take the loans out and the poor buys we have a bit to do I think Clough left us in a better state than Steve from a squad perspective not results  is my point.

No one would have thought that these injuries that occurred would have happened. All 3 of the CDMs got injured, both the left sided CBs got injured, Bent and Martin both got injured, Bryson got injured.

It was very difficult for Mac, his lack of options made it very difficult to field a consistent line up. Some of his decisions annoyed me, like his lack of changing the 4-3-3 system, but overall I think Mac was hampered by the lack of options that he had. 

​Putting words in my mouth are we? I didn't say he wasn't to blame for the collapse, I said he wasn't to blame for the continued speculation (the reason he was sacked). As for the collapse, injuries were the main reason for me but I also don't think McClaren dealt with them very well.

Why I've got a love in for our best manager in years? I wonder why.

Didn't deal with them very well? Quite an understatement. He was pathetic. Even you fellow Scot, who gives the impression that you think the sun shines from his nether regions would have to agree. Anyway onwards and upwards. Not sure why his departure is generating all these threads and comments and analysing to be honest. He's gone and there's nothing we can do about it. Look forward to the new manager now

Not to question a genius, probably because I'm wrong but Didn't SM win 51 games, and NC only 46 ?

​Absolutely no idea - I'm just picking numbers out of my rectum as usual.

I've just checked the Clough stats (which were quoted in the national press) and they are miles out. He only has a 47% win ratio at Sheffield United. McClaren's are 54%.

​Yep. Clough had a 56% win ratio to games played at Sheffield United.

I'm not shocked they got rid - another bunch with an over-inflated sense of false entitlement.

Like us

​The above figures are complete bollix.

Which idiot wrote them? What a prat.

Archived