Steve McClaren 'set for formal talks' with Newcastle United

mikeyoung

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yet the answer was still yes, and as Coconut points out, his actions back up his answer. ​Even if he had just said yes, I do wonder whether that would even have been good enough for our fans. He turns down the Newcastle job for the last three games and the reaction is 'well he's obviously just waiting to see if they stay up'.

​I get the feeling that when the inevitable Clough style "Schteve was great" retrospective love in starts in a couple of years time you'e gonna be on the front row.  As @GreenRam pointed out, he tip-toed around the questions so much he could be the reincarnation of Fred Astair.  It's so obvious he didn't want to burn his bridges, he made a hash of it.  End of...

Not sure why you've got this love-in thing going on with Big Mac. Who were these other people to blame for the appalling last 13 games? Obviously according to you, not the manager

yes he was good when the going was good. I can feel a song coming on - I used to love him but it's all over now

Iain Williamson :ph34r:l

​I get the feeling that when the inevitable Clough style "Schteve was great" retrospective love in starts in a couple of years time you'e gonna be on the front row.  As @GreenRam pointed out, he tip-toed around the questions so much he could be the reincarnation of Fred Astair.  It's so obvious he didn't want to burn his bridges, he made a hash of it.  End of...

​Do you end every one of your posts with 'end of'? I don't think it's really having the desired effect. 

I'm not one for 'I told you so'. I judge the situation at the time and I'll stick to it. Steve McClaren was a fantastic manager for Derby and whatever comes next, he was sacked for horrible reasons. 

​Do you end every one of your posts with 'end of'? I don't think it's really having the desired effect. 

I'm not one for 'I told you so'. I judge the situation at the time and I'll stick to it. Steve McClaren was a fantastic manager for Derby and whatever comes next, was sacked for horrible reasons. 

​What did you make of the performance in our last game against Reading?

I'm not one for 'I told you so'. I judge the situation at the time and I'll stick to it. Steve McClaren was a fantastic manager for Derby and whatever comes next, was sacked for horrible reasons.

​I don't normally no, only when it's so obvious...

I'm not disputing he's been a breath of fresh air for the club and has made supporting The Rams fun again.  He's been sacked because he turned the air toxic with his inability to answer simple question simply.  "No, I don't want to be the manager of Newcaslte United" would've sufficed.  Instead he thought he could be clever but ended up making a t1t of himself.

Non of us except Schteve, Sam Rush and the board know the truth about what went on behind the scenes but what is clear is the refusal of some to accept that the way he handled the media questioning wasn't concise in conveying his interests.

​What did you make of the performance in our last game against Reading?

​It was a very poor performance. I do think we would have at least drawn if Bent had scored the penalty but there's still no getting away from the performance. What's your point?

Same question to you Super Rams. What did you make of Macs last performance?

​Ooo, ooooo.  I know...

It was excellent and in no way did it look as though the players were not playing for the manager.  You could tell from how incredibly organised and committed we were that they gave their everything for the cause.

Gold star for me :D

​Fingers crossed?

I wonder if Derby have a 'tapping up' case against Newcastle?

​Why would they, he doesn't work for us anymore.......

He rebuked the toon offer a couple of Saturday nights back, said he had a job to finish here,

Ops that was before the fat controller got involved.......

​Stop quoting that £10m figure because it's just rubbish because it doesn't take into account what we would have paid SM or anyone else for that time.

Oh and no-one knows what getting rid of Mac is going to cost us - and we probably won't know until the next accounts are released.

​No not rubbish, fact!

We were paying close to Mac £1 million a year, weve just paid up for the last two years of his contract  - £2million

If Clements does comes in, -  it is on what was offered on Monday  evening- £2 million a year and a 4 yr contract, it is still less than RM were/ still are paying him.....

​It was a very poor performance. I do think we would have at least drawn if Bent had scored the penalty but there's still no getting away from the performance. What's your point?

​My point is that the performance wasn't just very poor it was gutless, embarrassing and frankly had all the hallmarks of a team who were not playing for the manager. That being the case you need to either change half the team or the manager.

Just to say on the "Newcastle" question, when Mac was repeatedly asked about any approach imo he gave very careful political answers designed to leave the door open. Sometimes he wriggled so much it was embarrassing to hear.

​I don't normally no, only when it's so obvious...

I'm not disputing he's been a breath of fresh air for the club and has made supporting The Rams fun again.  He's been sacked because he turned the air toxic with his inability to answer simple question simply.  "No, I don't want to be the manager of Newcaslte United" would've sufficed.  Instead he thought he could be clever but ended up making a t1t of himself.

Non of us except Schteve, Sam Rush and the board know the truth about what went on behind the scenes but what is clear is the refusal of some to accept that the way he handled the media questioning was concise in conveying his interests.

​Would it have sufficed? Turning down the Newcastle job, on more than one occasion, didn't suffice.

A friend (typical Derby fan) of mine text me after the Reading game saying this - 'Have you heard McClaren's interview, he's definitely leaving'. I listen to the interview and there's absolutely nothing of the sort in it. He talks about coming back next year, he talks about his future at Derby. People just had it in their heads that he was leaving. They caused this. 

​Ooo, ooooo.  I know...

It was excellent and in no way did it look as though the players were not playing for the manager.  You could tell from how incredibly organised and committed we were that they gave their everything for the cause.

Gold star for me :D

​If the penalty had gone in the whingers would not be moaning  right now, - Injuries cost us last season.

Mac has been the best coach Derby has had since he was here last time with the eagle, we have played the best football in the last 2 years than we had for decades, full houses - even top of the table going in to March, then the injuries started.....Yes, some on here have very short memories.

Remember sometimes the grass is never greener........

​My point is that the performance wasn't just very poor it was gutless, embarrassing and frankly had all the hallmarks of a team who were not playing for the manager. That being the case you need to either change half the team or the manager.

Just to say on the "Newcastle" question, when Mac was repeatedly asked about any approach imo he gave very careful political answers designed to leave the door open. Sometimes he wriggled so much it was embarrassing to hear.

​Both of these have already been addressed.

The first paragraph is asking whether it was the right decision, not about the validity of the reasons. I don't think it was the right decision either, but that's not what was being discussed. 

That's the correct way to handle the situation. Reiterate your commitment without burning bridges. You never know when your board are going to turn round and screw you over...

​No not rubbish, fact!

We were paying close to Mac £1 million a year, weve just paid up for the last two years of his contract  - £2million

If Clements does comes in, -  it is on what was offered on Monday  evening- £2 million a year and a 4 yr contract, it is still less than RM were/ still are paying him.....

​What about Mac's wages for the next 4 years then if he'd stayed?. You're not comparing like with like & stop quoting rumour and media speculation as fact.

I actually do give up.

​Stop quoting that £10m figure because it's just rubbish because it doesn't take into account what we would have paid SM or anyone else for that time.

Oh and no-one knows what getting rid of Mac is going to cost us - and we probably won't know until the next accounts are released.

​Unfortunately,we might never know.We don't know if the £867k to pay off Clough and his team was the total payout,or just an instalment. They were sacked fairly early in the year,and I don't know how long was left on their contracts.If another instalment were due in the next financial year,then this would almost certainly be combined with any SM pay off (full or instalment),to give a global figure.

I can also see another potential spanner in the works.Because of FFP implications,I could easily see the SM compo payout being delayed till after 1/7/15 ( with agreement of both parties).Obviously,this is only a guess on my part. 

​Would it have sufficed? Turning down the Newcastle job, on more than one occasion, didn't suffice.

A friend (typical Derby fan) of mine text me after the Reading game saying this - 'Have you heard McClaren's interview, he's definitely leaving'. I listen to the interview and there's absolutely nothing of the sort in it. He talks about coming back next year, he talks about his future at Derby. People just had it in their heads that he was leaving. They caused this.

​If he'd have said that I would've believed him.  Instead we got, "it's pure speculation" & "I've got a contract with Derby".  If the board thought that was sufficient why did Sam Rush have to release a statement confirming his commitment.  Even when the rumours were quashed Schteve didn't instigate the quash-ing...

He also stated that there hadn't been any contact from Newcastle then admitted at the fans forum there had, and he turned it down.  I'm sure that statement was intended to reflect the fact he had committed to us but even that back fired making him look like a liar.  An extremely good coach he may be, but a master of dealing with the media he ain't...

Archived