Steve McClaren 'set for formal talks' with Newcastle United

mikeyoung

it was obvious , he would eventually get back into football  sooner or later  ..  fits Ashleys criteria  ,  Newcastle  havnt hidden the fact they wanted him ,     as what as already been stipulated  HE,S FREE TO DO AS HE PLEASES

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL - I think it can stay as we're discussing the impact it has on us financially

I'm sure that SR is no fool and will have reached a sensible compromise

I'm just finding it hilarious that he might still go there despite the entire "Toon Army" not wanting him anywhere near their club.

If he goes there, I think £100 on him being sacked before the end of the season would be easy money

At the time Derby appointed SM I remember reading a post by a Middlesbrough fan, probably on here, that despite all their success under him as manager the fans still had mixed feelings about him.

This was partly because the football under him was too defensive, but mainly because of their nagging feeling that SM only ever saw their club as a stepping stone for his personal ambition. Not a great deal of warmth either way.

I sort of feel the same now. On balance I think we’ve taken the riskier option and I’d have been happy enough if SM had been given another season - but I’m not upset or angry that he’s gone and I’m not particularly bothered where he goes next.

Keeping it on topic for DCFC though – what a way to blow your legacy. On paper, SMC should be a hero to us – the best win ratio of any manager in the modern era, took us to a play-off final in his first season, and then kept us in the top 6 for almost the entire second season.

But now – assuming he goes to Newcastle, he faces being the 2nd most despised ex-manager after Billy Davies

We've still got One Direction.......and let's face it, we welcomed SMC back and he had something good here, but opted for his own One Direction instead, many months ago and like Billy Davies his One Direction also sees him lifting many a tree at the moment.

mbjvgh.jpg

Keeping it on topic for DCFC though – what a way to blow your legacy. On paper, SMC should be a hero to us – the best win ratio of any manager in the modern era, took us to a play-off final in his first season, and then kept us in the top 6 for almost the entire second season.

But now – assuming he goes to Newcastle, he faces being the 2nd most despised ex-manager after Billy Davies

​Why would you despise him? Billy left us in a crap place, but McClaren has left us in a fantastic position. 

I wish McClaren all the best and I see nothing wrong with him going to Newcastle, he isn't contracted to us any more. 

It is of interest to us as fans as per comments on how an early job offer for Mac might impact on the compensation that DCFC must pay him. That's all become part of DCFC budgeting/planning and could adversely affect the new DCFC coach's budgets.

It is a great shame that it ended like this - as it's only a few months since we (most of us, me included!) anticipated a stable,successful progressive era for The Rams under SM. The club talked of 'building a dynasty' and team philosophy, like the greatest clubs had/have done (for example; Man Utd, Barca) - but alas, it's not to be.

I don't think I'd ever look upon Mac as 'hate' figure, because of his fine contribution under Jim Smith and (until early this year) during his days as DCFC Head Coach. There was some football too, remember!

It's a little ironic that his 'stock' has fallen somewhat, since Derby's plunge from the top 6, and that Toon fans regard him less favourably now.

I'm sure Ashley is desperate, though, to get in an experienced coach and bring forward some plans for a better 2015-16.

Whilst I like and respect Mac, I'll carry a smirk if Newcastle don't respond to his efforts and I'm sure I won't be alone!

Ideal scenario: drawing The Toon in one of the Cups next season, and duffing them over!

I'm just finding it hilarious that he might still go there despite the entire "Toon Army" not wanting him anywhere near their club.

If he goes there, I think £100 on him being sacked before the end of the season would be easy money

​Ashley doesn't give two hoots what the fans think though does he? Unless McClaren is doing terribly, then I don't see him sacking him early.

He got the good feeling back at Derby I think,

Will leave us memories. (fond and not)

Doubt we will give him the £2mill up front and I am almost certain there will be a clause stating if he joins a new club within X months then we shall pay you X amount rather than the full total.

As if they hadn't been contact for the months previous. 

Good riddance. The McClaren out brigade will be in full force if he fails to qualify for the Copa America. Fat Geordie pasty eaters

​Oi watch your mouth!

Us Cornish natives are proud to be fat pasty eaters. Don't start attributing the honour to the Geordies!!

​Why would you despise him? Billy left us in a crap place, but McClaren has left us in a fantastic position. 

I wish McClaren all the best and I see nothing wrong with him going to Newcastle, he isn't contracted to us any more. 

​Sorry ,I think we are about to find out he hasn't left us in a fantastic position .His buys have been average at best and need to go.

We spent a fortune on loan players that didn't pay off we still need to spend significantly to challenge next year. .The more I think about it the more the board was right.

Archived