Steve McClaren 'set for formal talks' with Newcastle United

mikeyoung

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​The irony is that if Steve had filled the gaps with academy/development players and just missed out on the play offs he may have kept his job!

​Maybe,but we'll never know,utch. Hindsight's a great thing,but we could have had a better idea by now if Hanson,for example,is going to be good enough. Given that Steve hadn't seemed too inclined to give youngsters a go previously,I even wonder if he went to SR later on in the season to ask for another emergency loan,only to be told we'd spent a lot and it was time to throw in a youngster. Who knows,but we are in the midst of the speculation months. 

​It would be interesting to know what McClaren bought into and what he didn't, Utch.

I'm not very good at riddles, and I've never been comfortable with speculation, so basically I haven't got a clue what he was referring to other than (my interpretation here….) the fact that it was the board's money and they didn't trust McClaren to spend it wisely.

​We're only fans Eddie. We're only the people who were here before the present owners and the people who will be here long after the present owners.

We have no say in the big decisions other than to decide whether to buy our tickets or not.

I suspect you and I are too old now to jump ship and will continue to watch the Rams until we are dragged kicking and screaming out of the stadium by some jobsworth steward who thinks we shouldn't be leading an assault on the directors box...:D

We will continue to guess the reasons why Steve was sacked until the club tell us exactly what the reason were..

My own personal opinion, based on nothing but a gut feeling, is that Steve spent huge amounts on loan players wages, proven Premiership players like Bent and Ince, yet failed to stop the rot and cost us promotion or at least a play off.

​We're only fans Eddie. We're only the people who were here before the present owners and the people who will be here long after the present owners.

We have no say in the big decisions other than to decide whether to buy our tickets or not.

I suspect you and I are too old now to jump ship and will continue to watch the Rams until we are dragged kicking and screaming out of the stadium by some jobsworth steward who thinks we shouldn't be leading an assault on the directors box...:D

We will continue to guess the reasons why Steve was sacked until the club tell us exactly what the reason were..

My own personal opinion, based on nothing but a gut feeling, is that Steve spent huge amounts on loan players wages, proven Premiership players like Bent and Ince, yet failed to stop the rot and cost us promotion or at least a play off.

​I have the same gut feeling. I remember when McClaren turned up and they asked him how he would feel about working under restricted budgets (as Clough had to) and he said something along the lines of "it's my job to push for more and more from the owners". That particular chicken came home to roost in January. My opinion is that he has been pushing for more and more and they've gone "okay, well we're near the top thanks to this guy, if he thinks he needs backing to get us over the line, then let's back him". And then we fall spectacularly. To them, they trusted him and he failed.

But like I said before, we might never know.

Could probably get in their team still. Especially upfront.

​Lol anyone could get in their team tbf!!!! 

;)

Quick survey fans on TS this morning  -    they would much prefer Vieira  ---------   really don't want a failed has-been.who can't get a team up from  the Championship.!!  Quote............

Also the media up there think McClaren would lose his compensation if he takes the job  -  which presumably means he would expect Newcastle to offset this   ??

Archived