The squad - who stays, who goes?

Kernow

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too emotive to pick who stays and goes atm, but did have a quick chat with Jamie Ward as he made his way through Chicaritos car park, he's sorry they didn't make it, no one to blame but the players themselves in his own words, hoped he would be here next season but who knows?

Depends on the new manager, but we could see Bryson, Albentosa, Shotton, Warnock and Ward of the contracted players gone.

We've just gone massively backwards. I look at our XI today and it just looked poor. Loan players, out of form players, the likes of Warnock, Albentosa and Shotton are a clear backwards step on what we had last season,

I'm worried we've now got an overbloated squad of high wages all over again and we'll find it hard to get rid of some.

We've got to look at freshening things up. We didn't need experience players, as they've made us worse. We needed youthful players who could fit the system - something we didn't get.

The likes of Shotton, Albentosa and Warnock smacks of Boeteng, Greening and Derbyshire of poor buys Mac made at Forest.

Worryingly, I feared this "Groundhog Day all over again" to the Billy Davies promotion season, long plump contracts for average-ish players with new signings negatively impacting teamwork, spirit and performances in the 2nd half of the season.

The difference being that that appalling team actually somehow got promoted.

Without being too negative nor looking too far ahead, regarding our performances, the trend is not our friend since early March.....as we now are clearly a bottom half team and getting worse.

Absolutely shocked some of you want to keep Albentosa and get rid of Keogh. 

Perhaps that's your lack of understanding!  Keogh is the finished article, what you see is what you get. Albentosa hasn't even found his feet yet, give him chance!! 

We played well for six months, awful for three. I don't think there's a need for a complete overhaul from front to back. Just several surgical upgrades, shock therapy for certain players, and some replacements for key loans who'll return to their parent clubs. 

Goalkeepers:

New #1 to replace Grant. We need a solid, reliable, week-in week-out goalkeeper who we don't even have to think about, just know he's there when we need him.

Defence:

Tons of room for upgrade here.

Keogh should go just so that we don't have to listen from the weekly "it's time for heroes" speech that the players ignore. 

Farewell to Fiasco Forsyth. 

Warnock was ultimately a wasted signing. Bye bye.

Whitbread's too old and too broken to rely on.

Keep the rest, but put Shotton on a very short leash, invest in a psychologist to rebuild Christie's confidence and see what Albentosa can do with a full pre-season to gel with the team. 

And, elevate Rawson to the first team. 

Midfield:

A few changes here too.

Goodbye to no-show Hendrick. If a decent offer comes for Bryson, it's goodbye from me. Eustace is too broken to rely on for a full season.

Ince, Mascarell and Lingard won't be back and all need to be replaced somehow.

I think Hughes will stay one more year, but if we get any offer of 15 million+, I'd take that and invest it in a replacement plus defence.

Hopefully George Thorne is fully recovered for next year and can show us what we paid for. And I'd like to see what Calero, Bunjaku and Hanson could do if they stepped up.  

Forwards:

Generally okay here, but we do need 1-2 solid, 10+ goal back-ups for Martin. One of those could be Johnny Russell but at least one more needs to come in to be safe.

Bent will be picked up by a lower PL team (which may well be a re-signing from Aston Villa now that he's shown his ability). 

Sammon should go, while Bennett and Ward should be on the bench.

Dawkins seems to have found his role, so keep him. 

Management:

I wouldn't be upset if McClaren & co. left. Mac's reputation got us good loans, but he's not the only highly regarded manager out there. He stuck with the wrong crew for too long and I think the players tuned him out. Whether that's because they knew he's leaving or not, it happened.

Sam Rush is the man we need to hold onto. GSE needs to fill his paycheck with all kinds of stock options!

And a solid, reliable captain, please. 

​Agree with most of this - we need a captain and that isnt Keogh we need at least 2 decent centre backs, I agree that Albentosa needs a pre-season and regular games before we judge him fully. Grant made some great saves today but again I would replace him with someone like Butland if available, Grant has already shown he can make some real schoolboy blunders and that just cant happen. I think some of the younger defenders will improve with better old heads around them.

I agree we need a fully fit Thorne (if that exists now) and at least one rugged experienced back up - maybe 2 as we really rely on that solid CDM. Not passionate about any of our midfielders but those that remain might be like new signings if the confidence is back.

We need to keep hold of Martin but we also need a couple of decent goalscorers at this level to give us more options.

Agree that if Mac is going to Newcastle he should go this week, why wait if that really is a done deal?

Then we get a quality replacement in that moulds his own team between now and August. If mac is really passionate about the project here that thats cool - not convinced he is though.

Sell Grant, Keogh, Shotton, Christie, and Bryson.  Release Warnock

If someone offers 2 million for Hendrick, fine, we can do better for that money.

Sign a left or even footed central defender leader, a creative central midfielder, a keeper to compete with Roos

and a tall striker and sign Ince is possible.  If we get 10 million or better for Hughes off he goes too if it means

we get Wizdom for a reasonable amount.  Oh and Thorne needs a good backup and and..

Freakin ell it's much easier to count the ones i want to keep

Goalkeepers: No point getting anyone new in, Grant isn't perfect, but we could have worse, no point spending money where it isn't needed, wouldn't mind a new keeper if we go up.

Defence: Keep Bucko, Keogh, Shotton and Forsyth, sell Warnock, Albentosa and Whitbread, sign a new left sided CB and get a new RB in, also give some of the youth some game time e.g. Rawson 

Midfield: Keep Hendrick, Dawkins, Thorne, Hughes, Eustace, sell Bryson and get an experienced CM in, someone like Joey Barton (doubt we could afford his wages) and a new CDM maybe Rohan Ince. 

Wingers: Keep Russell and Ward and try and get Ince in, if not then try and get another strong winger in, also push forward some youth players especially Calero 

StrikersKeep Martin and sell Sammon, try and get solid backup for Martin, maybe someone like Chris Wood a proven goalscorer. 

If albentosa had been english he would be getting hammered. He has thus far been terrible. People talk about finding feet, he seems incapable of finding a derby players. He is clearly very right sided as he cant use his left at all. If that's the case why have they signed him when they were never going to drop Keogh. He may could good and let's hope he does as at the moment he looks another bragstad  

Sell or release - shotton, keogh, forsyth, warnock, grant ( maybe) whitbread,ward, sammon, naylor    

Sign anyone that can defend and anyone that can be composed when passing to a team mate. You might find some of them in our u21s. would be nice to see wisdom, bent and ince in a Derby shirt next season but I can't  see it. Back to the drawing board  which was always on the cards if we didn't get promoted after the investment this season. 

Goalkeepers: No point getting anyone new in, Grant isn't perfect, but we could have worse, no point spending money where it isn't needed, wouldn't mind a new keeper if we go up.

Defence: Keep Bucko, Keogh, Shotton and Forsyth, sell Warnock, Albentosa and Whitbread, sign a new left sided CB and get a new RB in, also give some of the youth some game time e.g. Rawson 

Midfield: Keep Hendrick, Dawkins, Thorne, Hughes, Eustace, sell Bryson and get an experienced CM in, someone like Joey Barton (doubt we could afford his wages) and a new CDM maybe Rohan Ince. 

Wingers: Keep Russell and Ward and try and get Ince in, if not then try and get another strong winger in, also push forward some youth players especially Calero 

StrikersKeep Martin and sell Sammon, try and get solid backup for Martin, maybe someone like Chris Wood a proven goalscorer. 

​I pretty much agree with this, but you won't be able to sell under-performing players. With the way contracts work in the modern game clubs are happy to wait until a player is available on a bosman or his current club has to cancel his current deal to free up room on the wage bill. So you're stuck with Warnock, Albentosa, Bryson and maybe Sammon for another season.

I want Wisdom at RB if at all possible.

There needs to be serious discussions with our medical team over Eustace and Thorne regarding just how many games they are likely to manage in a season. If fit, I think they are two of the best defensive midfielders in this league, but they're no use to us in the physio room.

I don't want Barton. I agree we may need to add experience to the midfield, but there must be some who isn't a massive sausage.

I'm worried that we'll lose Hughes. We should get decent money, but I'm not sure he'll want to spend another year in the championship.

I'm not a fan of Chris Wood either. I think his willingness to sit in the reserves for several years at Leicester shows a poor attitude and I don't want him here.

Big clear out required - the recruitment has ultimately been proven to be poor.

shotton is neither a centre half or a full back....should be shot...it would be the kindest thing.

albentosa looks ordinary.......we have Rawson coming through in that position.

Keogh, Forsyth and christie have all been very mixed...probably none are good enough.

whitbread is never fit. 

Warnock doesn't really inspire enthusiasm 

grant....what can you say?...Kinell.

keogh...probably right time for a move

Its hard to know where to start.......and thats just the back four.

​I pretty much agree with this, but you won't be able to sell under-performing players. With the way contracts work in the modern game clubs are happy to wait until a player is available on a bosman or his current club has to cancel his current deal to free up room on the wage bill. So you're stuck with Warnock, Albentosa, Bryson and maybe Sammon for another season.

I want Wisdom at RB if at all possible.

There needs to be serious discussions with our medical team over Eustace and Thorne regarding just how many games they are likely to manage in a season. If fit, I think they are two of the best defensive midfielders in this league, but they're no use to us in the physio room.

I don't want Barton. I agree we may need to add experience to the midfield, but there must be some who isn't a massive sausage.

I'm worried that we'll lose Hughes. We should get decent money, but I'm not sure he'll want to spend another year in the championship.

I'm not a fan of Chris Wood either. I think his willingness to sit in the reserves for several years at Leicester shows a poor attitude and I don't want him here.

I agree that it would be tough to sell some of these players, I think Bryson will go and I'm sure some clubs would want him from his past form. Wouldn't be to terrible keeping Warnock, he is decent cover for Forsyth and probably needs some time settling in, same with Albentosa, he was a stand out player in a weak La Liga team, he just needs to learn the language and the English game and he could become a lot better. Is Sammon on his last year of his contract? And isn't he on big wages? I think he needs to go for the best of his career.

Thorne and Eustace are fantastic players, but we can't rely on an injury prone Thorne and a 35 year old, we really need some decent cover.

​Wisdom would be the best replacement, if we do sell Hughes to Liverpool then maybe we could get Wisdom through the deal, I also think Dawkins would be a good replacement for Hughes, obviously he isn't as good, but he has shown his quality in CM in recent weeks.

I would personally love Barton in the team, every side needs someone like that, we sort of have it with Buxton, but I think Barton would add some passion and grit into the side, I agree he is a prat, but he is the type of player I think we need.

Wood isn't perfect, but I think we could get him for a very good price if Leicester stay up and if he is only backup for Martin then that's fine, he is also pretty young so would improve and learn a lot from Martin.

I agree that it would be tough to sell some of these players, I think Bryson will go and I'm sure some clubs would want him from his past form. Wouldn't be to terrible keeping Warnock, he is decent cover for Forsyth and probably needs some time settling in, same with Albentosa, he was a stand out player in a weak La Liga team, he just needs to learn the language and the English game and he could become a lot better. Is Sammon on his last year of his contract? And isn't he on big wages? I think he needs to go for the best of his career.

Thorne and Eustace are fantastic players, but we can't rely on an injury prone Thorne and a 35 year old, we really need some decent cover.

​Wisdom would be the best replacement, if we do sell Hughes to Liverpool then maybe we could get Wisdom through the deal, I also think Dawkins would be a good replacement for Hughes, obviously he isn't as good, but he has shown his quality in CM in recent weeks.

I would personally love Barton in the team, every side needs someone like that, we sort of have it with Buxton, but I think Barton would add some passion and grit into the side, I agree he is a prat, but he is the type of player I think we need.

Wood isn't perfect, but I think we could get him for a very good price if Leicester stay up and if he is only backup for Martin then that's fine, he is also pretty young so would improve and learn a lot from Martin.

​Maybe the time to cancel Sammon's contract. I think he just has one year left. We could get a decent offer for Bryson, but I'm not sure I'm ready to give up on him. He was one of our stand out players last season and contributed a decent amount to our early season form this time around. He's had a poor 2015, but there are plenty in that situation in the current squad.

I'd like to see Dawkins play more, although unspecific "personal" absences are a concern. I'm happy to see him givena go in the centre, but think he's a decent option on the wing if only he'd start running at players again. When he first came in on loan he would drive at defenders and frighten the life out of them. I have no idea why he's stopped trying that.

My problem with Barton isn't what he does on the pitch, but off it. Passion and grit is best shown through your actions, not by running your mouth on twitter.

I suppose Wood would be fine given that any back up forward we get will never play unless Martin is injured.

Perhaps that's your lack of understanding!  Keogh is the finished article, what you see is what you get. Albentosa hasn't even found his feet yet, give him chance!! 

He's brutal and will play to he's 50 and never be as good a player as keogh 

one way ticket to Spain please 

Archived