Hypothetically: What would be your response if we were to miss out on the play-offs?

Ambitious

I am in no doubt at all if we're to lose on Saturday and bomb out of the play-offs that the side and McClaren would be boo'd off at full-time by a big proportion - perhaps not the majority - of the fans. 

I can imagine a few idiots trying to get on to the pitch to take their abuse to the next level and I can imagine quite a few leaving and not acknowledging the players efforts over the season.

I just wanted to know what your own personal response would be if we were to lose 1-0 to a Jamie Mackie goal. 

I'm stuck between leaving early to avoid the fallout from the fans, which would put me in a worse mood than missing out on the play-offs, and giving a half-hearted clap. 

I imagine quite a few on the responses will be mixed but I want everyone to be honest - we don't judge people here (well, we do, but not to your face).

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'd be sickened because I was genuinely full of optimism last August.

I never felt we'd sweep all and sundry aside with ease but I really thought we'd secure an automatic place on merit and win a lot of acclaim on the way.

But our recent form has had me wondering what would happen if did go up. I think we'd have to invest massively to avoid a similar fate to "that" season and I don't know if the board would commit to that kind of spending.

If we don't make it, it wouldn't be the end of the world for me, don't get me wrong, I want to see Derby County in the Premier League but I'd like us to go up with a fighting chance of competing, today writing this, I think we'd get mullered by most of the teams currently up there on our current form. 

So, to sum up I'd be, oh fook it, where's the beer. 

Certainly won't leave early and have suffered worse over the years and fully expect to in the future. Would applaud either a lap of the pitch or players appearing in the Directors Box.

I would eventually slope off comforting myself with the knowledge that a longer close season break will allow the players to rest for the next season and more time for the club to plan the summer signings. 

I'd be incredibly disappointed - this season could have been something special, yet we'd have capitulated spectacularly.

I think most of the blame would have to fall at the feet of McClaren. We had a winning formula, were doing perfectly fine and suddenly completely dropped off. He failed to arrest the slide and the persistent rumours about his departure haven't helped. Whilst some of our players - the defence, mainly - have been really, really poor, it was his job to make changes and get us back to playing our usual game. We've also been hurt by taking our foot off the gas when we go in front - we've dropped countless points from winning positions. Again, that has to be blamed on the manager.

After a couple of days feeling sorry for myself, I'll start looking forward to next season. Should be an exciting transfer window. I also feel we'll be better next time out, when we're no longer the favourites - it suits our game, and hopefully we can quietly sneak up the table like Watford did. 

I would be annoyed but in a way would try to see it as positively as I can.

Positives for me would be:

- Would Toon still want McClaren? If they do, we can get a good manager with a lot of room for improvement from this season

- We would avoid play-off defeat as I'm not confident at all about beating Boro or Norwich in the semi's, or even both as I expect at least one of the two to be in the final.

- We would be able to build on our squad moderately again. It's clear to see our defence wouldn't be very resistant in the PL. We can work on that, plug the gaps and strengthen without having to buy a brand new squad should we make the PL.

I'd be disappointed because last August I felt we were good for the play offs at least. I never got carried away with all the dead certs for automatics malarkey. What I'd be most disappointed about would be how reliant on a couple of players we have been - I guess it's not unusual in our division, no one can really have the squad depth of the premier league - but we didn't half crumble when Martin got injured and we never got into the stride of the end of last season without Thorne...

Will I boo - not on your life. If I thought the players had under performed deliberately then maybe, but I don't. They're professionals and any professional in any field wants to test themselves against the best. That means working hard to get to the top table and working harder to stay there...

Whilst I never thought we would definitely get the automatics, I certainly hoped we would make a ******* better try of it than we have done. 

I won't boo the team, but I won't clap them either. I'll probably just watch on in disbelief and how disappointing this season has been. To be honest I will probably do that if we win as well, but I'll throw in a clap too. 

If we don't make the playoffs I'll be calling for McClarens head which I haven't done yet and I think that the board will probably sack him if the Newcastle rumour isn't true. 

Disappointed but not as upset as I think I should be. Having this bad run makes you look at the division with a wider perspective and to me it's clear that there are better squads (Watford, Norwich, Boro) and better drilled teams (Bournemouth, Ipswich, Brentford) than our own.

Based on that, getting promoted this season may not be a good thing as we would need serious investment to just stay off the bottom and I don't want another Prem year like the last one.

Sort the back 6 out in the summer so we are more solid then attack that top spot next year, I'd be happy with that.

ake the playoffs I'll be calling for McClarens head which I haven't done yet and I think that the board will probably sack him if the Newcastle rumour isn't true. 

​i dont think the board will sack him, although questions will definitely be raised, hell have next season, and if we aren't in a good position after a few months, when the table starts to settle down then i think we might see a change of personnel

I've never really got this applauding of huge under achievement.

Saw all the Tranmere fans clapping the players as they had just got relegated to the Conference. Couldnt believe it, I would have left in disgust at the embarassment of the players dismal effort.

That was *****. 

Ah well. At least it was interesting. 

No "McClaren out" from me. In his season and a half he's done alright. If Rush keeps him cool. If Rush sacks him cool.

If fans drive him out and it all goes like Newcastle where they think they deserve soo much better when they actually don't then i'll be pretty annoyed. If it ends with us getting Dyche and carrying on his 38% win ratio then i'll be saying "told ya we didn't have it bad" at every opportunity. 

No Premier League!!!!???? What will we do???

Carry on?

I would be really disappointed if they failed to make the play offs (but I have considered today that failure to do that would save me a couple of hundred quid chasing a 25% of promotion).

I would blame McClaren because of the way he has dealt with the Newcastle rumours but no way would I boo him.  He remains our best manager since Jim Smith (and you can argue that it was perhaps him that made Smith look good).

I perhaps even go on the pitch but mainly because I found a pound last year after the Brighton game :-) 

Be disappointed yes, but no where near as disappointed as I'd be if I were a Boro fan or Bmouth fan on saturday if Bmouth don't win tonight and it goes down to the last day. (Whoever misses out on autos)

I've stayed to clap the players at the end of the season after finishing bottom in the prem and after finishing 4th or 5th from bottom in the championship so I will definitely stay to clap a team that finished 7th or 8th. No booing from me either, no McClaren out but I would expect to see a bit of a turn over in squad in the summer with at least four or five quality additions to make us much stronger in terms of our spine for next season.

Like someone said the other week, we had a minute last year to come to terms with suddenly not going up, this season we have had a lot more time to come to terms with the fact that we may not go up and we may not even make the play offs. 

I however think we will get the draw we needed then its just all about hoping. 

Also i'd probably wait till the first day of pre season, so july to go on dcfc timeline again on twitter because I just wouldn't want to read the over reactions some people will have.

Archived