Derby County vs Reading

Carl Sagan

Looking on their forum their fans honestly think they are going to lose at least 3-0 so it appears they are in very under whelming form at the moment. If we are on top of our game at least in an attacking sense I cannot see us losing this game. It just depends on whether we can cut out any/ all mistakes at the back. With what looks like a sell out ground of mainly rams fans lets hope we all really get behind the team even if we go behind. 

We potentially have four games to go or at least 3 if we play our cards right, lets get behind the team cut out all the moaning and just wait to see what happens now. COYR

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Martin is fit to start, I would go with:

Grant

Shotton    Keogh   Albentosa  Forsyth

Hendrick    Hughes

Russell         Martin        Ince

Bent

Subs: Roos  Rawson  Warnock  Ward  Lingard  Bennett Dawkins

If Martin can't start, I'd be tempted to have Dawkins in that position to have the ball stick and be laid off. Mac at the very least will have Christie instead of Rawson, and probably swap Russell for Lingard.

My team for this one:

Grant

Christie Keogh Albentosa Forsyth

Hughes Dawkins Hendrick

Ince Bent Russell

My reasons for this are, in their last two games at least (I haven't bothered checking further back) they've played 4-3-3 like us. Now without a bank of 4 midfielders, Christie gets the nod at RB at home due to the fact he'll have more room down the wings and surely can't be worse than he is recently. We have fit CBs so play bloody CBs. Forsyth is not a centre back. I repeat, Forsyth is NOT a centre back. Don't play him there. We have Albentosa who we spent the whole of January chasing and even made a fancy welcome video, so play him, he's hardly had a chance. Failing that, play Shotton, but DONT PLAY FORSYTH AT CENTRE BACK.

We don't have a lot of choice for CDMs. I've gone with Hughes, Dawkins and Hendrick purely because we have a mixture of three qualities here. We don't have the brute tackler but we can't do much about that. What we do have is vision and passing with Hughes, ball retention and possession with Dawkins, and running and driving from Hendrick. Against a poor Reading side this midfield should be plenty strong enough, and a return from Thorne in the midfield for the play-offs would hopefully make a big difference.

Ince, Bent and Russell sort of pick themselves. I have my suspicions about Chris Martin's fitness. I don't think he's ready for a full game. Let's not risk him from the start, we have a more than capable striker in Darren Bent who by his recent Instagram videos looks like he's more than ready to play after his illness. If we have to bring Chris on, then so be it but if we don't we needn't do it.

If Bucko, Thorne & Martin are available. Rest them. I'd love to see these three starting in the play-offs should we get there, But if we got to the play-offs through winning comfortably but Chris Martin starting and picking up an injury that ruled him out of the play-off campaign I'd be pretty miffed.

We need to start well, if we look like we're playing for a draw it'll encourage Reading and discourage the fans. Let's get an early goal, encourage Reading to come out their shell and hit them at least once more before the break. If we're 2 up by half time surely even our defence would be able to, wait I'm not going to bother saying it and jinxing it.

COME ON YOU RAMS

Warnock might play in DM role on Saturday. There is article on DET about it, thoughts ????

​Here's the article: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-ask-Stephen-Warnock-play-holding/story-26420638-detail/story.html

I have to say this is bizarre. Dozens of us for months have suggested Warnock was an obvious candidate to fill the central defensive midfielder role. We have been desperate and he appeared well qualified. Because McClaren never did it, I assumed there must be some extremely compelling reason why it hadn't happened.Then, as though a bolt from the blue, it looks as if we might experiment with it in the key final game of the season. What's that about?

​Here's the article: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-ask-Stephen-Warnock-play-holding/story-26420638-detail/story.html

I have to say this is bizarre. Dozens of us for months have suggested Warnock was an obvious candidate to fill the central defensive midfielder role. We have been desperate and he appeared well qualified. Because McClaren never did it, I assumed there must be some extremely compelling reason why it hadn't happened.Then, as though a bolt from the blue, it looks as if we might experiment with it in the key final game of the season. What's that about?

Also Dawkins at cm was suggested. It strikes me as the current set up is too rigid and Sore to adapt. 

My team for Saturday:

Grant

Shotton  Keogh  Albentosa  Forsyth

Warnock

Hughes    Hendrick

Ince                                      Lingard

Martin

Go back to what we know. 4-3-3 with a DM and Chrissy Martiin (My player of the season) up top. Batter Reading into submission. If things are not going out way go 424 with Warnock off for Bent and then throw the kitchen sink.

I don't think Warnock is by any means a guaranteed success at CDM but it's something we could try out. 

He's got experience and is half decent in the tackle. I certainly think he could add balance and a protective layer for the two players infront of him. 

Hughes is the obvious one. He reads the game well, keeps the ball well and can put in a tackle. If I am honest, I can't think why he just can't do it. It's the position he predominantly plays when he's in the England U21 side, too. 

Klobenz obviously can't be trusted for whatever reason. I haven't seen him play but I'm guessing he isn't cutting it at the minute? 

My team:

Goalkeeper: Grant should and will start. Roos deserves his chance and he will next season - that I have no doubt.

Defence: Two big decisions here is at right back and centre back. Forsyth needs to come back into the team in his natural position. I'd give Christie at least 45 minutes and let him know it's do or die for a starting role in the play-offs. He's the better player but he needs to prove it. At centre back, the obvious choice is Albentosa and Keogh. Albentosa is a highly-rated defender that's still trying to fit in and learn the club's ethos. The other option is to go for Rawson. By all accounts Rawson is a player that doesn't lose the ball often and wins his battles. It's a risk to play him but so is playing Albentosa at the minute. Rawson will have had a lot longer around the squad, too, but how much that would matter is anybody's guess. McClaren has to pick his poison. 

MIdfield: I haven't seen the Millwall game so have no idea how Dawkins did but he's been our best player in the last two games I've seen, in my opinion. If we're going to opt for Warnock in defensive midfield then I would probably expect to see Hughes and Hendrick start. If we're going to stick with Hughes, Dawkins and Hendrick then I would like to see Hughes sat deeper and Dawkins and Hendrick further forward. I have no idea how Warnock would do at CDM, it's hard to say, he's experienced and would be defensive minded but he doesn't have Hughes' range of passing or reading of the game.

Striker: I would do as we did against Millwall - except with Bent instead of Sammon. Ince on the right, Russell on the left and Bent through the middle. Martin to get a good half hour or so under his belt before potentially starting in the play-off semi-final.  

Throwing caution to the wind: Grant; Christie, Keogh, Rawson, Forsyth; Hughes, Dawkins, Hendrick; Russell, Ince and Bent.

More probable line-up: Grant; Shotton, Keogh, Albentosa, Forsyth; Warnock, Hughes, Hendrick; Russell, Ince and Bent. 

Warnock has played a full season at least for Blackburn in that position, I think it was in the top flight too, so surely ought to have been given a chance in that role way before now, its almost as if it slipped McClaren's mind until he suddenly remembered after trying almost everyone else, most of them who have no idea how to put in a tackle.

At least if he can help protect the defence an iota better than has been happening of late then its a step forward.

Does this mean Thorne won't be seen for the rest of the season though I am wondering?

In my opinion going back to our usual 433 is the way to go. Our recent games have shown that 4231 doesn't really suit the players we have at our disposal, as well as relinquishing the control we like to have during games. Warnock should be tried at CDM with Hughes and Hendrick in front of him to at least attempt to get the balance in midfield right - which we also haven't had recently. Reading have absolutely nothing to play for so the pressure is off them. We've shown on a number of occasions we struggle in the big games but I'm praying we have enough to see off a team that sits 19th in the league but only time will tell. 

Less than 200 tickets left for home fans so be quick if you plan on going , dont think many will be left to pay on the day.

Think Reading sold 300, so need our fans be loud and get the ipro rocking. 

Archived