Shaun Barker - Cleared

Dale The Ram

And what would happen if he got injured within his 5 minute cameo ?

Would fans be claiming we now owe him another contract ?

Does he have a clause in his contract that entitles him to "X" amount of money if he plays for the first team again ?

Does his insurance through the club increase if he is playing in an competitive match ?

Sometimes there is more to a decision than sentimental reason. 

I'm sure the rumours will now surface from posters that have been missing for months that barker has fallen out with Mac, Bucko despite being a major part of the team under the new regime, took offence to this and wants to leave, and Bryson unhappy at being instructed to wipe his ****with his left hand instead of his right  also to wants to jump ship as the result of this.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And what would happen if he got injured within his 5 minute cameo ?

Would fans be claiming we now owe him another contract ?

Does he have a clause in his contract that entitles him to "X" amount of money if he plays for the first team again ?

Does his insurance through the club increase if he is playing in an competitive match ?

Sometimes there is more to a decision than sentimental reason. 

I'm sure the rumours will now surface from posters that have been missing for months that barker has fallen out with Mac, Bucko despite being a major part of the team under the new regime, took offence to this and wants to leave, and Bryson unhappy at being instructed to wipe his ****with his left hand instead of his right  also to wants to jump ship as the result of this.

It's easy to forget that Derby County is just a business as a fan. Nothing more nothing less, money is the driving factor and that's fair enough. Some people struggle to come to terms with the fact that our club is a big money making machine and not just a love of the owners. 

It's easy to forget that Derby County is just a business as a fan. Nothing more nothing less, money is the driving factor and that's fair enough. Some people struggle to come to terms with the fact that our club is a big money making machine and not just a love of the owners. 

Chris, ​what has this got to do with a 5 min cameo with nothing at stake?

memories of Seth Lad  -  how Billy froze him out  because of his injury and immense independent strength of character -   then eventually had to play him and Seth's bottle was basically what carried us through to Wembley. There he literally gave his all ie permanently ended his footballing career on the pitch.    Which is why we love him.

Blackpool was the game to give him his run out, it was our easiest game of the run in. I was annoyed when he wasn't named on the bench and furious when we went 3-0 up in the first half. He's earned a chance to have 5 mins in front of 30,000 dcfc fans and that was the perfect chance to give it him.

Hope he gets a chance still, no matter what's on the line. If it's 5/6th up for grabs then get him on.

5th / 6th doesn't make a difference anyway (aside from whatever extra income we might get). The top 4 are so close, there may be know way of knowing who will be in 3rd and 4th positions, so no point in trying to second guess it and play for a specific result.

Well play whatever team is best to appropriately raise match fitness / rest players. But we also won't go out there to loose. We'll need all the momentum we can get, for it's motivational benefits. And getting Barker on for a cameo would have just as much motivational benefits, if not for the team (for which I'm sure there would be some benefit), then for the fans.

You can tell at the stadium now, the general air of pessimism is effecting the players. Do something to really inspire the fans, and that inspiration will permeate throughout the team. Like having Martin on the bench when he came back, just seeing him warm up listed the spirits throughout the stadium.

If play offs are secure when we play Reading, then whether we finish 5th or 6th is meaningless, but the game itself is not meaningless. There is a lot we can get out of it in terms of motivation, momentum and general positivity, and playing Barker can be part of that. It's like an international friendly before a tournament.

Much has I love Barks I am with McLaren on this one and if you ask Barks I think you will find he is too.There is a far bigger picture here this  is about Derby County and their ambitions if we need a point or three to secure play off's and with 5 minutes to go we have do you put a player who has not played First teams football for three years and by his own admission is not the player he was on and potentially lose what you have.

If Mac does and we did you would all be straight on here wanting him sacked.So for me he is right at this moment to rule it out.

I think it would be absolutely shocking not to give him five minutes at the least.

If the game against Reading is backs to the wall then I would understand, but a place on the bench and an injury time cameo would be huge. It's Steve McClaren's call, and he is a former England manager, but not even putting him on the bench is a thought that I just wouldn't entertain. 

Football should be about more than just the results. 

PistoldPete2

Not exactly a ringing endorsement from Mac was it? Can't see any reason at all why at the very least if there is nothing to play for, barks couldn't get a few minutes off the bench.

You can call me sentimental fool but football is about emotions, especially for the fans. Would be madness not to play him just for few minutes to say goodbye.

Sentimental fool doesn't really sound like me. I'm more like Clint Eastwood, about as romantic as he is.

So, Barks is on the bench against Reading and we need a point, or three; or we need to lose, but not by X goals, because goal difference is important; or we need to get a result just to maintain our confidence going into the play offs. And we don't know how the other games will finish

And, in the last 5 minutes he comes on for a farewell - big applause all round, much tears and hand shaking etc. And he makes a mistake and costs us a goal; or we can't bring another player on because of an injury so we play the last 4 minutes plus extra time with 10 men, and it costs us a goal; or the player we would have liked to have had come on cannot, because Barks has his place........... etc.

I haven't admired any Derby player in over 50 years of watching as much as I have admired Barks' return from injury.  I would really love it if he earns another contract with us and plays again (and SM has not ruled that out yet).  But there is no room for sentiment in this situation and the result will be important.  And I dare say that Barks would say the same.

Presenting the player of the year award.......... whole different ball game.  Cue big applause, tears, hand shaking etc

Archived