Shaun Barker - Cleared

Dale The Ram

If we have the Playoffs secured before Reading, McClaren will rest key players with the first playoff game starting a week later. If he doesn't put Barker on the bench and give him 5 or 10 minutes in a meaningless game, that will say quite a lot about the man. 

It would be a huge lift to the fans, the players, and to the club as a whole. What an inspiration to come back from such a horrific injury. A testament to the power of the human spirit. If Barker can come back from that, we can all come back from adversity. WE CAN WIN THIS!!! 

I'll be very upset if SM doesn't exploit this.  

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we have the Playoffs secured before Reading, McClaren will rest key players with the first playoff game starting a week later. If he doesn't put Barker on the bench and give him 5 or 10 minutes in a meaningless game, that will say quite a lot about the man. 

It would be a huge lift to the fans, the players, and to the club as a whole. What an inspiration to come back from such a horrific injury. A testament to the power of the human spirit. If Barker can come back from that, we can all come back from adversity. WE CAN WIN THIS!!! 

It's so unlikely that the Reading game will be meaningless. Even if we are guaranteed playoffs it will likely decide 5th and 6th order in which case I'd rather give us a better chance at winning in the Semis than having a bit of clap and cry over someone who will be leaving in a months time. 

It's so unlikely that the Reading game will be meaningless. Even if we are guaranteed playoffs it will likely decide 5th and 6th order in which case I'd rather give us a better chance at winning in the Semis than having a bit of clap and cry over someone who will be leaving in a months time. 

​one thing history tells us is that picking and choosing your ideal opponent is a pointless exercise in the play-offs. It always has been and always will be about who has their performance right on the night(s). So it makes not the blindest bit of difference.

​Psychologically it would be a hell of a lot more than just that. 

I'm not sure what brining him on would achieve. Most of the squad have never played with him, I'm sure he's just a shadow on the fringes of Moor Farm. It wouldn't galvanise the team or inspire the squad seeing him trot out and head a ball in the dying stages of extra time. Great bloke, great attitude, wish him well, but the club is a completely different beast since he was our captain and leader.

I'm not sure why. It's very much for the fans, the players wouldn't care, they'd be happy for him sure, but it's hardly going to turn them into world beaters. 

​No it won't turn them into World beaters, but it will inspire to a certain extent and will also show the current players, and potential signings (Which we need whatever league we are in next year) that Derby are a good, honest, loyal football club. 

Football is a dangerous game at times and if I was being chased by a few clubs, all offering the going rate financially, I would 100% take into account their previous loyalty and treatment of players.  

​No it won't turn them into World beaters, but it will inspire to a certain extent and will also show the current players, and potential signings (Which we need whatever league we are in next year) that Derby are a good, honest, loyal football club. 

Football is a dangerous game at times and if I was being chased by a few clubs, all offering the going rate financially, I would 100% take into account their previous loyalty and treatment of players.  

I think the fact we have helped him to recover shows that. Bring him on for a 5 minute spell is purely for the fans. 

Dont get me wrong I'd like to see it, but if it's the difference between 5th and 6th then let's just not bother. Don't forget the club gets more money for finishing 5th than 6th as well. 

Yeah. Although lets have it right, we are bringing on a club captain and an experienced class championship defender. We aren't talking about bringing Stephen Hawking on because he won a competition off the back of a Cheerios box. 

Well we wouldn't field a weakened team for the sake of it in any other match so why now? 

Love how everyone's opinions on this changed really quickly as soon as McClaren said he wasn't going to give him any game time.

*dun*...*dun*...*dun* *dun* *dun* *dun* SHEEP.... :rolleyes:

My opinion has never changed Barker isn't ready for the Championship yet or at all this season .

Nothing new I trust McClaren. 

​This is just sentiment -- he won't just be able to step in to a game and deliver even if he has had some U21 games.

People are forgetting that Barker wasn't actually as good in his last playing season as we was when he arrived. He ain't going to be the messiah.

Archived