Sunderland after McClaren

StringerBell

Although I am a huge fan of our manager, ValleyRam has a bit of a point here - he's not been flawless - but let's reserve judgement until game 46 ends. With the talent we have and the time we've been together, coupled with the backing of the owners and management, we should be in 1st.     He took Birmingham for granted at the end part of the game didn't he, and he's learned his lesson, but the constant chopping and changing - and not always driven by injury either - has been unsettling for some players, and for our game.  He's also won us points with some of his savvy changes so let's be fair to note that as well. But I think you can make a case that Eddie Howe and Kenny Jacket have done as fine a job if not better given their resources. 

Still, we win v Boro and Wolves ... and we should see the race through thereafter with the right selections and the right motivation.

I do think that if we go up, he'll stay unless its Man U Man City Arsenal or one of the real big European boys come a-knocking. If we don't go up, he'll be gone to a PL team such as Newcastle or Sunderland. He's ambitious. I just hope that his eyes are firmly on the prize of promotion right now. I think they are.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cannot believe that anyone can rightly criticise McClaren's performance on the whole. Yes, there will be mistakes that cost us points, that happens to all managers, but what McClaren has done, has won us points we didn't expect, which has rarely happened in the last 15 years, aside of the Billy promotion season. Then, added to that, the style of those wins, and the quality of players being signed, albeit on loan.. we have come along a massive distance in a short period of time.

We made a massive leap last season simply by getting the best out of the players we had. This season, in spite of people saying opposite, our investments have been quite moderate, so there's no reason why we should somehow make another massive leap.

Admittedly, missing out on promotion wouldn't bother me, I'd rather watch good football next season than watch us struggle and see/hear/read the most ignorant of fans turning on McClaren and the team. Added to that, losing McClaren WOULD be a blow, but managers and players come and go, life and football goes on.

You can't have a 'massive' distance......or  a 'massive' leap.....or another 'massive' leap.

its upset me that has. 

A very inappropriate use of an adjective.

To be honest I am surprised McClaren is linked to all these Prem jobs, why just him? I have not seen anything linking Howe, Karanka or whoever the Watford manager is to any Prem job. I presume it is the fact he is an ex England manager and maybe his track record in the UEFA cup with boro and his title in Holland has helped? I just find it strange that it is always him that is linked to jobs and no other good managers in this division.

Personally I think he will go if we don't go up AND an attractive opportunity arrives at his door. But I think Newcastle have settled on Garde by all accounts, so if Sunderland stay up he may be tempted up there. I wouldn't say he would definitely go though. He has been burned before popping over to where the grass seemed greener... Wolfsburg anyone....

To be honest I am surprised McClaren is linked to all these Prem jobs, why just him? I have not seen anything linking Howe, Karanka or whoever the Watford manager is to any Prem job. I presume it is the fact he is an ex England manager and maybe his track record in the UEFA cup with boro and his title in Holland has helped? I just find it strange that it is always him that is linked to jobs and no other good managers in this division.

Personally I think he will go if we don't go up AND an attractive opportunity arrives at his door. But I think Newcastle have settled on Garde by all accounts, so if Sunderland stay up he may be tempted up there. I wouldn't say he would definitely go though. He has been burned before popping over to where the grass seemed greener... Wolfsburg anyone....

I'm not posting this to be an arse, but I overheard a conversation a few weeks back stating he'd already agreed to take over Newcastle in the summer, come what may.

This could be someone kidding his companions, but sounded kosher.

Archived