Jeremy Clarkson suspended by BBC

CumbrianRam

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What has the number of viewers got to do with anything?

So the BBC has lost some revenue. So what?

It's a small price to pay for upholding the principle that someone on their payroll shouldn't punch another person.

Have we as a country slipped to such a pathetically one-dimensional low that money trumps everything?

Well done BBC.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-32128321

Top Gear executive producer Andy Wilman has said he is not quitting the show.

leaked email from Wilman to staff of the show had seemed to suggest he was resigning, but he said it was a private "note of thanks" marking the an end of an era.

Wilman, an old school friend of former presenter Jeremy Clarkson, helped relaunch the show with him in 2002.

Clarkson was dropped by the BBC on Wednesday following a "fracas" with Top Gear producer Oisin Tymon.

Reading on tho sounds like he is still:

As well as thanking staff, he assured them that the show will continue.

"For those of you who still rely on it for work, don't worry, because the BBC will make sure the show continues.

"Our stint as guardians of Top Gear was a good one, but we were only part of the show's history, not the whole of it. Those two words are bigger than us."

• 2 weeks later...

I am disappointed, but not surprised to see he's ducked out of hosting "Have I Got News For You" later this month. It's probably a wise decision as Merton and Hislop would've hammered him the same way they did Deayton after his sex scandal. It would've been glorious. Clarkson can't handle the bantz.

• 2 months later...

no , the one at Derby ..

j/k , The Radio Two presenter , he'll be brilliant , trust me !!

that's hardly moving fwd by getting one of the old boys around. Mind you I don't like the guy or his generation of talentless fuckwits who managed to make shitloads of money flogging their crap to the public.

I would like to know what film making skills he's got? 

The only reason "he's into cars " is because the Beeb pays him a bomb and he can afford to go out and get them.  

that's hardly moving fwd by getting one of the old boys around. Mind you I don't like the guy or his generation of talentless fuckwits who managed to make shitloads of money flogging their crap to the public.

The only reason "he's into cars " is because the Beeb pays him a bomb and he can afford to go out and get them.  

No, it's because he bought Virgin Radio with Richard Branson, and then sold it for a ****-ton of money. He never has to work again, he chooses to. I like Chris Evans, and I'll defend him. I think he's got a lot of talent, and thrives off live TV (not that Top Gear is). I think it was the only choice really, and a good one. He's got enough of the old boy to keep the stuff we like about Top Gear, but he has a lot of his own good / innovative ideas to maybe give Top Gear the shot in the arm it needs. I don't think he's a journalist though, and above all else, Top Gear is a magazine show, with articles. He's better at writing sketches than articles, so it will be interesting to see how that goes.

And he's genuine mates with the old presenters. He does 500 words with Richard Hammond, and was on holiday a couple of  weeks ago with James May.

So it depends if you saw this as an opportunity to completely revamp the show with some new blood, or preferred to see it continue as it was, and fear change. I think this will be a good compromise between the two.

Sidenote: Nick Grimshaw on the X-Factor, I am now officially too old to watch that. I've decided that anything Nick Grimshaw gets involved with I must be too old for by default. He took over the Radio 1 breakfast show, time to move to Radio 2, if he takes over TFI Friday (as was Evans' suggestion) then that will no longer be for my generation, and now he's on X-Factor, I'm definitely past it. I definitely wouldn't want someone like him on Top Gear. Evans is of my generation (sort of, he's 20 years older than me, but he's a product of the 90s), so I feel comfortable with him around.

Also, he went out in Derby with my sister once. They broke into Queen Street swimming pool and went skinny dipping. He sent her a photo of him there (not naked) for her birthday several months later, so I thought that was pretty good. I didn't even send a text the morning after to girls I met on nights out.

I quite like Chris Evans but I do worry he might try to shoehorn that Will from TFI into the programme, I can't stand the bloke as I think he's a talentless oaf who get's the gig (on TFI) because he's Evans's mate as opposed to being good for the show.

Suppose I should wait and see, wonder if either May or shorty will have a change of heart and continue with the programme, or will Sky try to poach all three of the old team ? confused0006h.gif

No, it's because he bought Virgin Radio with Richard Branson, and then sold it for a ****-ton of money. He never has to work again, he chooses to. I like Chris Evans, and I'll defend him. I think he's got a lot of talent, and thrives off live TV (not that Top Gear is). I think it was the only choice really, and a good one. He's got enough of the old boy to keep the stuff we like about Top Gear, but he has a lot of his own good / innovative ideas to maybe give Top Gear the shot in the arm it needs. I don't think he's a journalist though, and above all else, Top Gear is a magazine show, with articles. He's better at writing sketches than articles, so it will be interesting to see how that goes.

And he's genuine mates with the old presenters. He does 500 words with Richard Hammond, and was on holiday a couple of  weeks ago with James May.

So it depends if you saw this as an opportunity to completely revamp the show with some new blood, or preferred to see it continue as it was, and fear change. I think this will be a good compromise between the two.

Sidenote: Nick Grimshaw on the X-Factor, I am now officially too old to watch that. I've decided that anything Nick Grimshaw gets involved with I must be too old for by default. He took over the Radio 1 breakfast show, time to move to Radio 2, if he takes over TFI Friday (as was Evans' suggestion) then that will no longer be for my generation, and now he's on X-Factor, I'm definitely past it. I definitely wouldn't want someone like him on Top Gear. Evans is of my generation (sort of, he's 20 years older than me, but he's a product of the 90s), so I feel comfortable with him around.

Also, he went out in Derby with my sister once. They broke into Queen Street swimming pool and went skinny dipping. He sent her a photo of him there (not naked) for her birthday several months later, so I thought that was pretty good. I didn't even send a text the morning after to girls I met on nights out.

It's not that it makes me too old, but I won't watch it because A - The X Factor is **** and B - Nick Grimshaw with his annoying as ****, northern mincer persona makes anything he gets involved in even sh1tter by default.

I'll happily give Evans a go because I've liked pretty much anything he's been involved in (we'll try and forget the Lock Stock TV series) .  I read earlier that May might be tempted back but I'd prefer a clean break and a slight reformatting.  I just don't want any of the old school journos like Tiff Needell, Vicky Butler Henderson or Jason Plato turning up on it.  Perhaps some new blood from the Top Gear magazine?  My ideal line up would be Guy Martin & Suzy Perry.  But that's merely because I love to look at Suzy Perry...

It's not that it makes me too old, but I won't watch it because A - The X Factor is **** and B - Nick Grimshaw with his annoying as ****, northern mincer persona makes anything he gets involved in even sh1tter by default.

I'll happily give Evans a go because I've liked pretty much anything he's been involved in (we'll try and forget the Lock Stock TV series) .  I read earlier that May might be tempted back but I'd prefer a clean break and a slight reformatting.  I just don't want any of the old school journos like Tiff Needell, Vicky Butler Henderson or Jason Plato turning up on it.  Perhaps some new blood from the Top Gear magazine?  My ideal line up would be Guy Martin & Suzy Perry.  But that's merely because I love to look at Suzy Perry...

that would be a great line up. Suzy wiuld do all the more serious journo stuff that May used to do, but we won't care that it's a bit boring, because we can spend the time oggling her. And she wouldn't be as slow as captain slow. And Guy can do all the stunts that Hammond used to do, as well as some of the mor wild school things that May used to do. 

Only problem is, aren't they both more into bikes than cars. Would it end up beating if into bike territory too often?

Chris Evans gets the job , Good choice , Beeb !!

One down, still two to replace. 

Losing Wilman, Clarkson, May and Hammond surely had to be enough for them to completely rebuild the show. Oh well, let's see what they come up with. 

that would be a great line up. Suzy wiuld do all the more serious journo stuff that May used to do, but we won't care that it's a bit boring, because we can spend the time oggling her. And she wouldn't be as slow as captain slow. And Guy can do all the stunts that Hammond used to do, as well as some of the mor wild school things that May used to do. 

Only problem is, aren't they both more into bikes than cars. Would it end up beating if into bike territory too often?

I think Guy Martin just loves things that go fast.  He's also a mechanic so he'd have no probs with the techy stuff.

As for Suzy, she does F1 so that, and her stunning body, qualifies her in my book...

I think Guy Martin just loves things that go fast.  He's also a mechanic so he'd have no probs with the techy stuff.

As for Suzy, she does F1 so that, and her stunning body, qualifies her in my book...

I'll go with that. Make it happen BBC. 

never understood the hatred for him. He's a proper bloke who broke into the mainstream against s backdrop of stuffy, Conservative, poshsausages with no personality. 

Such a British  thing is to criticise people for not being the kind of person who identifies with the working class, then criticise one that is! ? 

Archived