Jeremy Clarkson suspended by BBC

CumbrianRam

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​Or cut their losses and sell the branding back to Clarkson or anyone who's trying to bring the show to another channel. They don't need it, but it'd probably be a better money spinner than it haemorrhaging money for a season or two. 

​Channel 5 tried to take the Top Gear name when BBC first scrapped it, wouldn't let them. Really can't see the BBC letting it go now.

​There is demand for a car show, especially now Ch5 have dropped Fifth Gear. Top Gear is getting tired and needs a re-fresh, so maybe this is no bad thing. Start up a new show, new presenters, new format. 

If channel 5 dropped it that says something with the amount of **** they screen. You say Top Gear was getting tired but it wasn't, last year had more than 5m viewers for the first show of the new series, more than any series for a while, the Christmas special also topped 5m viewers, that's not a show that is getting tired. A new show, new presenters and new format isn't Top Gear, it's a complete new show, what turned this into a huge show and brand is Clarkson, he was the brains behind it, you can't replace someone like that with Vikki Butler Henderson

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/feb/03/top-gear-jeremy-clarkson-audience-bbc

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a618578/top-gear-special-peaks-with-511-million-on-bbc-two.html#~p87EJPTAXfKUvZ

Top Gear is a BAFTA, multi-NTA and International Emmy Award-winning BBC television series about motor vehicles, mainly cars. It began in 1977 as a conventional motoring magazine show. Over time, and especially since a relaunch in 2002, it has developed a quirky, humorous style.

The show is presented by Richard Hammond, James May, and The Stig, an anonymous test driver, and was previously co-hosted by Jason Dawe in series one and Jeremy Clarkson from series one through twenty-two. The programme has an estimated 350 million viewers worldwide since March 2015, making it the most watched show worldwide. In 2007 it was one of the most pirated television shows in the world. It is also the worlds second most expensive show in the world at £1.2 billion.

http://topgear.wikia.com/wiki/Top_Gear

Fifth Gear host Vicki Butler-Henderson has been forced into the pits, with TV bosses confirming the show has been axed.

The channel Five programme was regarded as the main competitor to BBC2’s Top Gear. 

Butler-Henderson, 37, had been an integral part of it since it was launched seven years ago. 

But the latest series, which ended in July, never attracted more than a million viewers and Five decided it should be the last.

A source at the station claimed the decision had nothing to do with budget cuts. It is likelier its failure to make it on to the list of Five’s top 30 watched programmes had a negative impact on advertising revenue. 

Fifth Gear first aired in 2002 after the original incarnation of Top Gear was ‘rested’ in 2001 due to poor ratings. 

Several former Top Gear presenters, including Butler-Henderson were hired by Five to present the show. 

The self-confessed tomboy raced karts as a child and competed in Formula First.

As one of the few high-profile women motoring experts, she is not likely to be off the circuit for long. Her husband Phil Churchward is series director of Top Gear.

Five said it was proud of Fifth Gear but that it was ‘time to try something new’.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1221174/Vicki-s-career-stalls-Five-s-Fifth-Gear-driven-television.html#ixzz3VZqgElng 

She was the integral part of a show that was a flop, to not make it into Channel 5's top 30 shows says it all. You might want to give her one but come on now, let's be serious here....

I think there are plenty of humorously cynical alpha males within the BBC who could make top gear work. Just look at any of the regular guests on the comedy panel shows. 

​Feed me names, I struggle to watch any of these so called comedy (whilst being PC) panel shows now

​Don't you think that introducing a woman on to Top Gear could open up a whole new audience, especially if it's a "laddish" woman, who the blokes would get on with as well?. OK, maybe you don't like Vicki (one less competition for me to worry about) but there are others who could to the job.

I haven't watched Top Gear for ages and am not likely to, while the format is supercars and middle aged men larking around doing adolescent stunts. The people I talk to (who watch it) say that the format is tired but they still watch it because there's nothing else on. Just because viewing figures are holding up for now doesn't mean that they couldn't be better still with a re-fresh.

​You're not just looking for a presenter to be a face of Top Gear, you're looking for someone to build the concept, bring ideas, Clarkson was Top Gear with Andy Wilman who also looks set to leave.

Jeremy Clarkson met with co-star James May and Top Gear boss Andy Wilman in a secret meeting, as the trio continue to plot their next career move.

Clarkson, 54, is said to be weighing up his options after being dropped from the BBC yesterday for punching producer Oisin Tymon.

Mr May and fellow co-star Richard Hammond are both expected to leave the show with him, after claiming the trio ‘come as a package’.

However, in a hint that the Top Gear contingent may be planning to work together again, they were spotted together – minus Mr Hammond who lives in Herefordshire – following a secret meeting in London.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3012606/Fellow-Gear-stars-James-Richard-Hammond-set-follow-Jeremy-Clarkson-BBC.html#ixzz3VZyCyXpt 

I'd argue that if Vikki Henderson Butler had these talents 5th Gear would still be on now, it's like Take That, with a new record label, new singers and changing genre to hip hop. And again, a tired show needing a refresh doesn't attract 5m viewers in the UK because nothing is on TV, it doesn't get screened in 200 countries worldwide because nothing is on, nor do they sell out live shows around the world because they have nothing better to do.

​Don't you think that introducing a woman on to Top Gear could open up a whole new audience, especially if it's a "laddish" woman, who the blokes would get on with as well?. OK, maybe you don't like Vicki (one less competition for me to worry about) but there are others who could to the job.

I haven't watched Top Gear for ages and am not likely to, while the format is supercars and middle aged men larking around doing adolescent stunts. The people I talk to (who watch it) say that the format is tired but they still watch it because there's nothing else on. Just because viewing figures are holding up for now doesn't mean that they couldn't be better still with a re-fresh.

​You're not just looking for a presenter to be a face of Top Gear, you're looking for someone to build the concept, bring ideas, Clarkson was Top Gear with Andy Wilman who also looks set to leave.

But my point is that it needs fresh ideas. How many times can you re-package similar stunts and keep people on board?. The carefully timed "offensive" comments & registration number controversies are very good at drumming up publicity for the next big show but only work so many times.

I'd argue that if Vikki Henderson Butler had these talents 5th Gear would still be on now, it's like Take That, with a new record label, new singers and changing genre to hip hop. And again, a tired show needing a refresh doesn't attract 5m viewers in the UK because nothing is on TV, it doesn't get screened in 200 countries worldwide because nothing is on, nor do they sell out live shows around the world because they have nothing better to do.

But my point is that it needs fresh ideas. How many times can you re-package similar stunts and keep people on board?. The carefully timed "offensive" comments & registration number controversies are very good at drumming up publicity for the next big show but only work so many times.

​5th Gear was doomed from the start. They took a format which was failing on BBC and just transplanted it to CH5 and expected it to work.

Of course a "tired" show can attract a big audience, just that that audience could be higher still if the show appealed to a wider demographic. 

Of course it was!. You don't seriously think that a show as well produced as that just didn't notice the plate?. The backlash was probably an unintended consequence - maybe they thought they'd get away with it and we could have a chuckle at the Argies' expense - I don't know. The controversy was a choreographed marketing strategy to boost interest in the show & it worked wonders. I know about marketing and that's one thing they are very good at. 

Archived