Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

1 minute ago, Jubbs said:

They need an asterisk next to them, because they are drug cheats. Yes, a lot more boxers than we know about are likely to be taking PED's, but those 2 have been caught.

Just a bit of uncastrated boar m'lud. Canelo I can understand wanting to bulk up a bit to move up the divisions but I never really got the logic why Fury would need PEDs. Not like he is a chiseled hunk of a specimen, not like he needed to find a way to catch a few extra pounds. But, as you say, shouldn't be forgotten.

That said, if we ditched every boxer who was accused of throwing a fight, putting plaster of paris on their wraps, bribing the ref, juicing up or any other foul means (Jess Willard famously accused Jack Dempsey of beating him up holding a coach bolt inside his glove) then we'd have a pretty short list to be discussing.

6 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Jeez, we Brits sure love to knock 'em down don't we?

- When Fury beat Klitschko he went to his (effective) back yard and beat a champ making his eighteenth defence of this title

- Fury didn't just beat Wilder once, he beat him three times, each and every one in his back yard. When he fought him he was undefeated in 43 fights and had made ten defences of his title

- Fury too the Dillian Whyte that everyone had been dodging for three years, the longest ever spell as number one contender

To repeat, Tyson Fury is not the greatest (even Brit) of all time, and I absolutely agree with you that he needs that unification fight for his legacy, as @Alpha pointed out so well I won't go further. But if he's barely mentioned in 20-30 years then - back to my very first point - history will have been very unkind to him.

What I mean is that should Usyk or AJ win all four belts, they will get far more recognition than Fury in 20 years time.

Fury claims he is the best. But in 20 years, they’ll look back and talk about how Usyk won all the belts after moving up from Cruiserweight, or how AJ created a legacy and brought heavyweight boxing back to life.

They won’t talk about Fury as the number one of his generation let alone a potential GOAT unless he does something extraordinary.

I’m not trying to knock him or his current achievements. I’m just thinking how the casual will think in 20-30 years. Fury surely wants his name in the history books, and surely he won’t want somebody else of his era achieving more.

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

Just a bit of uncastrated boar m'lud. Canelo I can understand wanting to bulk up a bit to move up the divisions but I never really got the logic why Fury would need PEDs. Not like he is a chiseled hunk of a specimen, not like he needed to find a way to catch a few extra pounds. But, as you say, shouldn't be forgotten.

That said, if we ditched every boxer who was accused of throwing a fight, putting plaster of paris on their wraps, bribing the ref, juicing up or any other foul means (Jess Willard famously accused Jack Dempsey of beating him up holding a coach bolt inside his glove) then we'd have a pretty short list to be discussing.

Well worth a watch this.

Liam Smith, take a bow son! He's just walked down and dismatled Vargas. There's plenty of life in left in this old dog. End of the road for Vargas though. Smith too big, too strong and too powerful. Back to the campaign trail for Vargas.

Taylor - Serrano fight an absolute epic. Taylor got beat up in the middle rounds and looked down and out but finished like a train. I had it as a draw but I guess Katie is the champ and and deserves to retain her belts. Best fight I've seen in a while and I mean that. It'd be no surprise to see V2 somewhere down the line. I'd love to see it.

They don't seem very happy in the States about that result. Which makes it all the more satisfying. 

I had Taylor by a round but I think she was lucky to get through round 5. 

They've got to do it again, surely?! I'm not into women's boxing either but good fights like this will win people over. It's people like Ebanie Bridges that I just think they're playing up to stereotypes and encouraging a certain attitude to women in boxing. Katie Taylor is a class act. 

7 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Decent fight but massively overblown because they want to push women’s boxing. I thoroughly enjoyed it but talk of it being up there with the greatest is just daft in my opinion.

I'd say those in attendance would disagree. Can't recall many fights where the ref couldn't hear the bell in multiple rounds. It was an absolute war in the final rounds so maybe watch it again and tell us how many better fights there's been this year than the one we saw last night.

In truth, I'm pretty fed up with hearing that women's sport is being 'pushed'. The Red Roses sold old Twickenham the other day so, women's football is becoming increasingly well supported and MMA is producing some huge fights, so if you feel there's no real demand for sport outside the male arena then I'd suggest you've not been paying attention. It's not so much a bias as giving women's sport an equal footing by which to garner audience share. I'd sooner watch a closely matched fight like these girls provided than Canelo beating up another no hoper or Whyte failing to land a glove on Fury. Taylor is an Olympic and undisputed champion, as is Serrano so to my way of thinking, they've earned their moment in the spotlight. You can stand back if you like but if these two fight again, I'll be watching for sure.

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

They don't seem very happy in the States about that result. Which makes it all the more satisfying. 

Have to say I was worried as to how the fight would be called. Agression sometimes afforded undue credit and it was mighty brave of Taylor to put it all on the line in the US. That said, the crowd must have made it feel like she was fighting at home. Absolutely unreal support! 

6 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Have to say I was worried as to how the fight would be called. Agression sometimes afforded undue credit and it was mighty brave of Taylor to put it all on the line in the US. That said, the crowd must have made it feel like she was fighting at home. Absolutely unreal support! 

I thought they would give Rnd 5 as a 10 - 8 round. And was it round 10 too that was one sided? 

I think it deserves a rematch and it is surely has the appeal. 

41 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I thought they would give Rnd 5 as a 10 - 8 round. And was it round 10 too that was one sided? 

I think it deserves a rematch and it is surely has the appeal. 

It's a nailed on certainty, I'd say. Serrano nothing left to prove in her 'natural' division and Katie has no fights worth making in hers. 

As for last night, I did wonder myself about the 10-8 and that's really how I came up with a draw in my head, which would of course have yielded the same result effectively. Katie might have been fortunate as I think Serrano gassed herself in round 5 as she had little left after that until the toe-to-toe slugfest that was the last minute of the fight when they were both done and yet kept swinging out of pure heart and fighting spirit. That said, Katie simply refused to go down and came at Serrano like a feckin Spartan throughout the final rounds. I did feel sorry for Serrano as neither of them deserved to lose, but Serrano was very gracious in defeat and her remarks after the fight about what had been proven on the night were spot on. 

Moving on, the next big women's fight surely has to be Savannah Marshall vs Claressa Shields. Unlike the pantomine BS we've seen in the build-up before other big fights, these two genuinely loathe eachother. Shields has the legacy and Marshall wants to destroy it. More importantly, they can both box and bang. Could be another absolute belter and with both fighters desperate to meet, it's likely to happen. 

Sugar and spice and all things nice, my arse! Bring it on! 

A couple of friendly chats here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL9tHvZj0WY&ab_channel=SkySportsBoxing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyWv9gGkVf8&ab_channel=iFLTV

Marshall lays out Herman

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/boxing/12581128/savannah-marshall-devastating-knockout

Shields dishing it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C3KtA7Bk80&ab_channel=SalitaPromotions

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

15 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I'd say those in attendance would disagree. Can't recall many fights where the ref couldn't hear the bell in multiple rounds. It was an absolute war in the final rounds so maybe watch it again and tell us how many better fights there's been this year than the one we saw last night.

In truth, I'm pretty fed up with hearing that women's sport is being 'pushed'. The Red Roses sold old Twickenham the other day so, women's football is becoming increasingly well supported and MMA is producing some huge fights, so if you feel there's no real demand for sport outside the male arena then I'd suggest you've not been paying attention. It's not so much a bias as giving women's sport an equal footing by which to garner audience share. I'd sooner watch a closely matched fight like these girls provided than Canelo beating up another no hoper or Whyte failing to land a glove on Fury. Taylor is an Olympic and undisputed champion, as is Serrano so to my way of thinking, they've earned their moment in the spotlight. You can stand back if you like but if these two fight again, I'll be watching for sure.

It was a decent fight. But it was a women’s boxing match (that’s not disrespecting) and will go down as the greatest women’s boxing match. But in terms of boxing in general, either male or female, it wasn’t even the best boxing match in April let alone an all-time great, so these outlandish statements seem like hyperbole for me. Let’s just enjoy it for what it was. A women’s boxing match.

The way they move, can handle shots, even the rules. It’s almost like a different sport. That’s not to say men can’t enjoy it. I enjoyed it. Those two are superstars and they have changed women’s boxing forever. But why compare and throw it all under the one boxing umbrella? (Rhetorically speaking).

Women’s sport has been pushed. I have no complaints about that. I saw 90k turned up to watch Barca women’s CL game. It’s great they received such huge support and the same goes for Taylor and Serrano. But if it was a mixed gender sport neither would have made it into the pros. So in terms of overall boxing the quality wasn’t any greater than two amateurs. The quality for women’s boxing, however, was world class and as you say it was a war.

Canelo v Bivol on Sat. 

On paper it seems like a really really great fight but Canelo has reached a point of stardom now where he can't lose. He can pick any fight he wants so I'm assuming he's comfortable stepping in with Bivol

So long as he doesn't get KO'd he'll get a decision anyway.

On 03/05/2022 at 21:05, Alpha said:

Canelo v Bivol on Sat. 

On paper it seems like a really really great fight but Canelo has reached a point of stardom now where he can't lose. He can pick any fight he wants so I'm assuming he's comfortable stepping in with Bivol

So long as he doesn't get KO'd he'll get a decision anyway.

Agreed. Looking forward to this one. There was some 5/1 available on the exchanges and I've taken some. I don't see this as being straightforward for Canelo against a natural LH who is technical and has really good feet. He's not an out-and-out banger like Beterbiev, it's true, but there's spite in his punches and I'd sooner take 5's on Bivol than 1/4 Canelo.

On 02/05/2022 at 05:34, Bris Vegas said:

It was a decent fight. But it was a women’s boxing match (that’s not disrespecting) and will go down as the greatest women’s boxing match. But in terms of boxing in general, either male or female, it wasn’t even the best boxing match in April let alone an all-time great, so these outlandish statements seem like hyperbole for me. Let’s just enjoy it for what it was. A women’s boxing match.

The way they move, can handle shots, even the rules. It’s almost like a different sport. That’s not to say men can’t enjoy it. I enjoyed it. Those two are superstars and they have changed women’s boxing forever. But why compare and throw it all under the one boxing umbrella? (Rhetorically speaking).

Women’s sport has been pushed. I have no complaints about that. I saw 90k turned up to watch Barca women’s CL game. It’s great they received such huge support and the same goes for Taylor and Serrano. But if it was a mixed gender sport neither would have made it into the pros. So in terms of overall boxing the quality wasn’t any greater than two amateurs. The quality for women’s boxing, however, was world class and as you say it was a war.

I watched the fight on BBC3 last night.

I thought it was an astonishing contest and great value for those who bought a ticket.

What made it stand out was the fact that the two of them were so evenly matched.

They both showed incredible bravery and sometimes their desire to bash each other verged on the comical.

It was terrific entertainment if not for the purist.

Katie Taylor has survived some close run things in contests recently but you have to beat a champion comprehensively and she just about deserved to hang on to her title.

She is a terrific ambassador for the sport and the way the two of them behaved was a lesson for many male boxers who show little sportsmanship or humility.

On 26/04/2022 at 15:06, Bris Vegas said:

They won’t talk about Fury as the number one of his generation let alone a potential GOAT unless he does something extraordinary.

Is the monumental comeback story not enough? As a very casual boxing fan, I remember that more than who's won which belts.