Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

On 11/04/2022 at 21:14, Bris Vegas said:

Pointless. Canelo wins on points, wide.

Canelo won’t lose another boxing match in his career. 

Kinda the point I was making? That's a fight most fans won't want made. Anyways...

Watched Conor Benn wade through van Heerden. Odd fight to make after beating Algieri so well. Perhaps he's not quite the pulling power as yet for the elite level fights, but possesses a bit too much natural power for those below that level? Tricky to place right now as despite showing promise, it's a big step up the next level now with Hern mooting Garcia (x2) and Broner as the fights he'd like to make. From a technical standpoint, I suppose some will fancy him (based more on the van Heerden fight than the Algieri one), but he's something of a wildcard in my book and one I'd not underrate. Meanwhile, Eubank Jr sits quietly in the corner...

Over the pond, not sure what the win over Ugas tells us that we don't already know, but at the high table, we see Spence now calling out Crawford. Now that is a fight most fight fans wants made. Crawford seemingly up for it... What are the odds?

Errol Spence is a brilliant fighter but I still don’t know how good he really is.

He won the belt off a damaged Brook from the GGG fight, dominated Mikey Garcia who looked tiny at Welterweight, beat Garcia who had already lost to Thurman and Porter and then had the split decision unconvincing win over Porter.

Crawford for me looks like the better fighter. I think Spence will have to put in a career best performance if he wants to win that fight.

Hopefully Thurman can rediscover his top form. I thought he was the best Welterweight prior to his long layoff with injury.

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

As an extremely casual boxing fan (quarter-fan is probably more accurate), is it me or has there been almost no hype surrounding this fight?

Been hardly anything. Whyte has purposely not been getting involved in the build up for whatever reason, so the hype is so minimal

5 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

As an extremely casual boxing fan (quarter-fan is probably more accurate), is it me or has there been almost no hype surrounding this fight?

Yeah, I think it will sell well but...

Dillian Whyte isn't happy with his cut. Also he's matchroom (Eddie Hearn) so he's got no reason to help promote it. So he hasn't. Personally I think he's made a mistake.

Top Rank (Bob Arum) I don't think seem interested in bringing Fury back to UK. US doesn't have a headliner heavyweight really

Frank Warren is terrible. The undercard is abysmal. 

No surprises. Tyson lighter and Whyte heavier than previous fight. 

Obviously Whyte not as vulnerable as Wilder at being manhandled. 

Good fight but I just see Fury winning every round unless he's dropped. He's gonna be ramming that jab home during all the quiet spells and scoring consistently. Whyte's response to being hurt or under pressure is to come out swinging. So he'll either knock Fury down or more likely take some heavier shots in return. 

I don't think he stops Fury. I think he gets a prolonged beating before tiredness + careless aggression = late KO victory for Fury

2 good geezers, both Brits, 94k at Wembley, World title stays in UK... enjoy! 

Edited by Alpha

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Hope you took binoculars bud ?

I've yet to go to a match where I don't end up watching it on the big screens! ? 

Very much atmosphere only. I can't even comment on much because it was hard to see what happened when it was close up. 

From what I saw Whyte didn't win a round? It looked easy in the end?

I'll watch it tonight. 

7 minutes ago, Alpha said:

A big mouth. Irony and hypocrisy are his best attributes 

He's getting KO'd soon.

Jake Paul could probably genuinely beat him. 

18 minutes ago, Alpha said:

From what I saw Whyte didn't win a round? It looked easy in the end?

Would agree. The judges seem to have given him a few, don't agree with their assessment. Easy night work for Tyson in the end.