Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

6 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

If GGG doesn't sort that body conditioning out it will be a short night, he was almost buckled in half by Murata and Canelo is a devastating body puncher. Fair play though to still be chasing the dream at 40 years old, personally I hope he gets revenge for the 1st fight when they robbed him.

That's the problem with taking this fight, he will get easily beaten and it will justify in history the travesty of the first fight.

Dollars over legacy I guess.

Yep, 5 years since GGG "beat" Canelo. And it's not been a good 5 years. I thought the second fight was the right decision but even if you thought GGG won it... it was less convincing than the 1st fight and he looked the older fighter. 

Last 2 fights he's been struggling to catch up and Canelo is going to be coming in with a huge point to prove. 

Canelo comfortable points win?

Anyone see Kovalev cruiserweight debut? 

Not seen it myself but I can't imagine he's up to much and the reports don't sound good. He never had the biggest frame anyway did he? And if ever a boxer was never the same after a defeat its Kovalev. 

17 hours ago, Alpha said:

Canelo comfortable points win?

Can see Canelo winning via stoppage. GGG's recent fight was hard to watch. Although he won, there were times he looked out on his feet and a boxer with a killer instinct like Canelo would've ended things pretty swiftly.

Triple G only 10/3 to beat Canelo. For context, Bivol was 5s plus on the exchanges. Go figure. FWIW, a win for Alvarez seems most likely to me but it's interesting to see that what little money being played is all for GGG. The way I see it, this is a last bumper payday for Genaddiy. Man's a legend who beat a prime Canelo in his natural division. He probably knows he's in for a hard time of it, but he owes nobody anything IMO, so I say good luck to him. One thing's for certain, he'll be in far better shape for Canelo than he was for Murata and who knows what scars the Bivol fight may have left on the Mexican.

11 hours ago, Rev said:

This Daniel Dubois fight is a strange spectacle. 

Looks like a parking lot fight, the crowds about the same, yet its been given the big billing!

I forgot all about it. 

Was it between Frank Warren and Don King promotion?

Doesn't surprise me if so. Frank would book a car park and Don would be selling tickets to his criminal empire friends

23 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I forgot all about it. 

Was it between Frank Warren and Don King promotion?

Doesn't surprise me if so. Frank would book a car park and Don would be selling tickets to his criminal empire friends

It's was definitely Don King, I thought he'd gone long ago tbh.

5 minutes ago, Rev said:

It's was definitely Don King, I thought he'd gone long ago tbh.

I've seen him described as a legend this week. A boxing icon. 

Personally he reminds me of Leo Di Caprio in Django Unchained. 

11 hours ago, Alpha said:

Steve Bunce is a gibbering idiot.

Has Dillian Whyte hacked your account again @Alpha? I quite like Buncey tbh, and the show he did with Mike Costello was on the of the better boxing podcasts while it lasted. I also loved his history of British boxing, that was a great read - all the memories of Kirlaind Laing, Bunny Sterling, Jack Bodell (from Swadlincote no less) and Maurice Hope.

Just now, BaaLocks said:

Has Dillian Whyte hacked your account again @Alpha? I quite like Buncey tbh, and the show he did with Mike Costello was on the of the better boxing podcasts while it lasted. I also loved his history of British boxing, that was a great read - all the memories of Kirlaind Laing, Bunny Sterling, Jack Bodell (from Swadlincote no less) and Maurice Hope.

All I know is his gibbering on TV. 

Last night some geezer from Geordie Shore (reality TV show that I think died years ago?). "Geordie Shore is king up there. Its a big deal and they love it" 

"He's an MMA star and Reality TV star so the big fights are lined up for him".... he's neither. I can't even remember his name but he's not one of those like Gemma Collins/Mark Wright type people. Just Bunce rambling 

Then he was on about Gorman should be pushing for the Joyce fight. He was saying Dubois is stepping into that Whyte, Chisora level. 

At the Whyte/Fury fight he was rambling on in the ring so much it looked like Tyson switched off. 

The other week at a cruiserweight fight he was talking about a big rematch (it was a good fight to be fair) and it capturing the imagination of the British public. There was like 100 people there. Mostly family and friends. George Groves looked embarrassed. 

He just waffles on. Passionately but he just gets further and further from earth. 

That's when he's not being a condescending to women or getting called out by boxers for his OTT analysis. 

I think its funny how much someone like Johnny Nelson gets predictions wrong but at least there's though behind his words. 

9 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Yarde to fight Beterbiev. Can't see that ending well. Buatsi vs Bibol, Yarde vs Beterbiev, the Ruskies fight to unify?

Yarde is a typical Warren guided fighter

Fed easy fights, picks a way through the rankings and then faces somebody on a level they're not used to. 

Instead of running from Buatsi he should be running towards him. Who else is he going to use for preparing for those two Russians? Some Latvian ranked 12th with the WBA from Frank's phone book 

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Yarde is a typical Warren guided fighter

Fed easy fights, picks a way through the rankings and then faces somebody on a level they're not used to. 

Instead of running from Buatsi he should be running towards him. Who else is he going to use for preparing for those two Russians? Some Latvian ranked 12th with the WBA from Frank's phone book 

I mean yeah, surely Yarde v Buatsi would generate a bit of domestic interest. TBH, Yarde already has losses on his CV and I'm really not sure how he gets a shot at Beterbiev anyway. To be honest, I think Buatsi would walk through Yarde so lord knows what Beterbiev will do to him. It won't be pretty.

I guess it just emphasises the point you've made before about this being a weak division. Shame really as the Russians are really good fighters (well, Bibol very technical, Beterbiev scary power) but there don't seem any really good fights to be made other than between the two of them. Now that'd be a fight I'd pay good money to see but these days, I suppose, there's always a chance it won't happen for the very reasons it should. 

Beterbiev v Bivol would be amazing

I don't know how Smith Jnr carried on after some of those shots right above his ear. The 3rd(?) Knock down wad a brain scrambler and he still carries on. 

But that's the division. Beterbiev, Bivol and then... 

... hopefully Buatsi. 

Yarde 100% gets smashed by those two. With his Mayweather guard he gets clipped loads

On 09/05/2022 at 19:42, Alpha said:

Boxing outside the ring is such nonsense isn't it. 

As if in this day and age we let people pick a winner based on things like Aggression/coming forward. 

There's enough technology to score jabs, power punches, % success and even zones of the ring (how ring position is even a criteria is nonsense considering some fighters prefer being on the back foot).

Time and time again judges have proven they can't be trusted. Saturday the perfect example. I love watching Canelo's story unfold as he'll be spoken about for a century. I didn't care who won. But Canelo did not win 5 rounds. And yet some had him winning 5 or 6

The only way that is possible is if you prefer a fighter and watch it entirely from his perspective. 

With that AJ v Usyk fight I thought it was close at first because I'm watching shots bounce off Joshua and cheering his punches on Usyk. Almost ignoring Usyk's shots. I had Usyk winning but watching it back he won far more comfortable than I originally thought. Impartiality is a big ask and boxing judges aren't capable of ignoring hype/names. 

Really torn over the judges and how to fix how biased they are at times. My head says something like what you described is perfect, a stats based measuring system that keeps it fair. What more could you ask for

But the sadistic twisted heart of mine is somehow drawn to the way it is, the unpredictability (or predictable I suppose) nature of how its scored. The controversy and anger that follows. Its almost that ingrained into the sport that it would lose something if it disappeared if that makes sense? Or maybe I'm a dinosaur that can't handle progress.

We'd know the exact score of the match as it progresses, that seems to take a spark away from it, it removes the debating over who you think won a round with your mates live.

There's also something really pleasing when a boxer goes to the other guys yard, and forces that decision when you know no one else in that arena wants it including the judges, that win against all the odds.