Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

7 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Agree with all of that but defend the groundwork piece. It's seldom enough to be a great striker. At the core of MMA after all, sits Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I agree that standard wrestling can appear a tad dull at times but the speed, precision and sheer artistry of the world class grapplers should also be appreciated. Check out the fights of the early exponents of BJJ, you'll probably find them more interesting than you think.

For me, it's not all about the strikes. I kinda like a watching fighters who can mix it up a little though I appreciate everyone has their personal preferences. Strike KO's and flat out ground and pound can be spectacular, but it's good to see some artistry in a fighter's work too. I think this is another of the reasons that MMA popularity is surging. There's something to please every fight fan in there and the perennial fan's debate over grappling vs striking will always remain valid and lively because unlike traditional martial arts, MMA is rapidly and constantly evolving.

It's not the groundwork as much as the wrestlers that just lie on top of them. I enjoy fighters who know BJJ and can win by getting people into locks. Definitely not enough to be a great striker in most divisions. Petr Yan is one of those world class strikers who can also out wrestle the best in his division too, even if Sterling is allegedly the champ. 

Definitely something to please everyone! Particularly the heavyweight style wrestling doesn't give me any enjoyment though, it's usually two overweight blokes lying on top of each other gassed out ?.

3 hours ago, Andicis said:

Definitely something to please everyone! Particularly the heavyweight style wrestling doesn't give me any enjoyment though, it's usually two overweight blokes lying on top of each other gassed out ?

Was thinking more of Khabib type fighters. Usman seems to be another proper all-rounder. Masvidal made a lot of noise assuming Usman would look to take him to the ground again but then got absolutely sparked. Usman seems to have all the skill sets, plus absurd natural strength. Looks the real deal to me.

As for the heavies... I do concede that some of the heavy grapplers do have the air of mating sea lions about them ? 

21 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Was thinking more of Khabib type fighters. Usman seems to be another proper all-rounder. Masvidal made a lot of noise assuming Usman would look to take him to the ground again but then got absolutely sparked. Usman seems to have all the skill sets, plus absurd natural strength. Looks the real deal to me.

As for the heavies... I do concede that some of the heavy grapplers do have the air of mating sea lions about them ? 

Oh I couldn't agree more on that, Khabib level wrestling is an art form. That man is a cardio freak, what a nightmare opponent. I can't see Usman losing at middle weight any time soon. Covington was his only real opponent, and he got us jaw broken by Usman. Unfortunately Masvidal was just a hype job. Usman dealt with him so easily twice, that knock out was absolutely brutal. 

Yeah ?, it was the heavies I was thinking about with wrestling, no finesse to that at all.

9 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Oh I couldn't agree more on that, Khabib level wrestling is an art form. That man is a cardio freak, what a nightmare opponent. I can't see Usman losing at middle weight any time soon. Covington was his only real opponent, and he got us jaw broken by Usman. Unfortunately Masvidal was just a hype job. Usman dealt with him so easily twice, that knock out was absolutely brutal. 

Yeah ?, it was the heavies I was thinking about with wrestling, no finesse to that at all.

I watched the two Usman - Masvidal fights again the other night. Masvidal took the first fight at very short notice and that was the hill he died on in pre-fight pressers before #2. Fight 2 and he's actually smiling and mocking Usman in the seconds before the lights went out. Brutal indeed.

Not sure he's a hype job though. I'd cite the condition Nate Diaz was in after their match up. Horrific! I'd rather focus on the likelihood, as you've pointed out, that Usman is a Khabib style force of nature. Thought post-Khabib we'd be waiting a long time to see someone so dominant again, but it turns out there was a ready-made successor already waiting in the wings! 

On a separate note, check out the movie Embattled - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6539992/ The fight scenes not quite there, though that's pretty understandable really, but I liked the movie. Dorff's finest work by a stretch I reckon.

4 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I watched the two Usman - Masvidal fights again the other night. Masvidal took the first fight at very short notice and that was the hill he died on in pre-fight pressers before #2. Fight 2 and he's actually smiling and mocking Usman in the seconds before the lights went out. Brutal indeed.

Not sure he's a hype job though. I'd cite the condition Nate Diaz was in after their match up. Horrific! I'd rather focus on the likelihood, as you've pointed out, that Usman is a Khabib style force of nature. Thought post-Khabib we'd be waiting a long time to see someone so dominant again, but it turns out there was a ready-made successor already waiting in the wings! 

On a separate note, check out the movie Embattled - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6539992/ The fight scenes not quite there, though that's pretty understandable really, but I liked the movie. Dorff's finest work by a stretch I reckon.

Nate Diaz has so much damaged tissue on his face he bleeds easily at this point ?, still a good win though. Beating Till is pretty impressive too, I just never had much faith he was able to beat either Colby or Usman, he is a good counter puncher but I thought he'd get caught by his ground game, in turned out that Usman is just better even as a striker.

Looks like an interesting trailer, I'll give it a try next time I'm at a loose end. 

10 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Ah, I was hoping he might stop Jake Paul.

Me too. 

I would be happy if Canelo took the challenge and just fought properly. Be a one punch fight worth £25

12 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Me too. 

I would be happy if Canelo took the challenge and just fought properly. Be a one punch fight worth £25

Need Canelo to take his time brother!!! Drag him into the deep water then drown him with body shots before he delivers the coup de grace. The kid even makes his brother look modest and respectful ?

3 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Need Canelo to take his time brother!!! Drag him into the deep water then drown him with body shots before he delivers the coup de grace. The kid even makes his brother look modest and respectful ?

I don't know the difference between them tbh. I just see the nonsense they spout and what they've done in the past on YT. 

But that sounds like £25 well spent. Especially if between rounds Canelo would just joke with his team and eat McDonald's 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Superb pro debut from Sandy Ryan, 60-54 on points. Completely outclassed her opponent.

Brilliant Sandy ??

• 3 weeks later...