Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

14 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Since Usman, yeah, already mentioned that. Fair enough, if you'd rather see Nate Diaz blocking 100 punches with his face, that's your call.

As for Dana White, gimme strength! Who's he ever fought? Dana only gives a poo about Dana and as long as he doesn't give a fig about fighter welfare, I (along with most of the fighters themselves) don't care whether he feels entertained or not. It's why the man is universally despised.

Fact is, Tyron isn't gonna be on his toes for Jake Paul and I'd lay good money to back up that opinion. Nate Paul would struggle to land a glove on a boxer, even one as mediocre as Jake Paul. Woodley, on the other hand, will take him apart.

We'll see what happens on the night I guess and I'll eat my humble pie if I'm wrong, no bother, but labelling a fighter like Woodley 'boring' is just plain disrespectful in my book, not to mention a tad daft.

This isn’t just about Dana, the arena boo’d him. Plenty of articles out there by journalists labelling him a boring fighter. 

To say that’s being disrespectful whilst in the same breath saying Nate Diaz wouldn’t land a punch ?

Tapology, greatest MMA strikers of all time.

https://www.tapology.com/rankings/top-ten-all-time-greatest-mma-and-ufc-strikers

49 - Nate Diaz

According to FightMetric, Diaz attempted 435 strikes during his 25 minute war with The Notorious. That is just over 17 strikes per minute and a strike thrown every 3.4 seconds. Diaz landed 252 strikes [166 were deemed to be significant strikes].

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/mma/nate-diaz-set-a-ufc-record-during-his-five-round-war-with-conor-mcgregor-92949

Sure Diaz would absorb punches, but if you want someone to walk into a ring and end Jake Paul’s boxing career shenanigans, not audition for Strictly Come Dancing, Diaz would be the man. 

Former WBC and WBA super middleweight champion Andre Ward is a huge fan of the Diaz brothers' boxing skills, particularly Nate's.

An interview with the undefeated pugilist from 2014 in which he praises Diaz's boxing skills has been doing the rounds on the internet following the announcement that Nate will be fighting Conor McGregor at UFC 196. Ward believes that the Diaz brothers have very different boxing styles, but Nate is more skillful on the feet.

"Nick is more, 'hit me with your best shot, and I'm coming with my best shot.' Nate's a little bit more of a skillful volume puncher, different angles and stuff like that. He was one of my main guys when I fought Chad Dawson."

"Those guys got great stand up and they'd be able to compete... I don't know how far they'd go in the pro ranks, but those guys could compete in boxing."

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/mma/video-nate-diazs-boxing-skills-earned-respect-undefeated-world-champion-andre-ward-66922

13 hours ago, David said:

Woodley has been one of the most boring fighters in the UFC, don’t expect this to be an entertaining fight.

Nate Diaz, get him in the ring with Jake Paul, doubt it would go past 2 rounds.

I'm not quite as up to date with this Jake Paul fella as others bar seeing clips of him calling out Conor McGregor recently.

I'm getting the gist that a boxing match is being promoted between a bloke who isn't a boxer against a bloke who isn't a boxer and you pay for the privilege of watching them slap each other for a bit.

This drivel would never have got of the ground 20 years ago, watching Big Daddy against Giant Haystacks would be more entertaining. Worlds gone made.

46 minutes ago, David said:

Former WBC and WBA super middleweight champion Andre Ward is a huge fan of the Diaz brothers' boxing skills, particularly Nate's.

An interview with the undefeated pugilist from 2014 in which he praises Diaz's boxing skills has been doing the rounds on the internet following the announcement that Nate will be fighting Conor McGregor at UFC 196. Ward believes that the Diaz brothers have very different boxing styles, but Nate is more skillful on the feet.

"Nick is more, 'hit me with your best shot, and I'm coming with my best shot.' Nate's a little bit more of a skillful volume puncher, different angles and stuff like that. He was one of my main guys when I fought Chad Dawson."

"Those guys got great stand up and they'd be able to compete... I don't know how far they'd go in the pro ranks, but those guys could compete in boxing."

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/mma/video-nate-diazs-boxing-skills-earned-respect-undefeated-world-champion-andre-ward-66922

And yet the guy's never even held a belt, let alone defended it. 

Ah, well, it's all about opinions. You have yours, I have mine. Woodley is a far heavier puncher than Diaz and therein lies the key, least to my way of thinking.

Like I said, we'll see how Tyron does and revisit in due course as at the moment it's all just hot air. I guess these debates are where Paul makes his money but at 5/4 Woodley, I'll certainly be putting my money where my mouth is. 

Here's a counter-quote for the interim:

With Mike Coppinger's update on Tyron Woodley butting heads with Jake Paul sometime soon, we take a look at Woodley's prospects going into this brand new challenge.

Although Tyron Woodley hails from a purely wrestling background, he accrued a significant amount of infamy for the striking he was known to put forth.

Woodley, admittedly, was never a high output fighter; however, the kind of power he packs in his punches is truly unprecedented. Boasting a TKO record of 7-2, he has stopped the likes of Robbie Lawler and Josh Koscheck within round one.

For the record, the two fights cited were for Championship belts...

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

38 minutes ago, David said:

If you ever see Nate Diaz being interviewed he closely resembles those members of Leicester's baby squad who were interviewed on that Football Factories programme on SKY about 10 years ago.  Both have had a few thousand punches to the head too many. Personally the way he uses his face as a catchers mitt for punches, I can't see him lasting to long in a boxing ring against any fighter with the basics of ring craft.   

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

We'll see what happens on the night I guess and I'll eat my humble pie if I'm wrong, no bother, but labelling a fighter like Woodley 'boring' is just plain disrespectful in my book, not to mention a tad daft.

Woodley's best striking move is his overhand right, but he hasn't really done it much in recent fights. He barely jabs and his footwork is not boxing standard. A "washed up" fighter from another sport with no actual boxing experience and his entire career was at a weight class around 20lbs less than Jake Paul's. He's also got arthritis in his hands... I'm not saying it's gonna be easy for Paul but surely you can see why he's favourite?

2 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Woodley's best striking move is his overhand right, but he hasn't really done it much in recent fights. He barely jabs and his footwork is not boxing standard. A "washed up" fighter from another sport with no actual boxing experience and his entire career was at a weight class around 20lbs less than Jake Paul's. He's also got arthritis in his hands... I'm not saying it's gonna be easy for Paul but surely you can see why he's favourite?

£50 for charity then buddy? No risk for you, is there?

9 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

This drivel would never have got of the ground 20 years ago

What, like Ali vs Inoki? There's countless others, the likes of Ali and Tyson did loads of exhibition fights.

4 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Bold of you to assume I have £50!!

Ha! Fair enough brother  ? 

Maybe I'm gonna die on this hill financially, but I'll be filling my boots and see how it plays out. My recommendation would be don't be backing Jake Paul, but what do I know! As I said to Dave, these Paul brothers are making good money from these fights which is kinda funny as they'd not make anywhere near the same sums fighting regular boxers. Pretty sure Paul called out Nate Diaz at some point but he went very quiet when Woodley called him out. I'm not even 100% convinced the fight will happen but we'll see I guess. I just want Tyron to quieten them down is all and that's what I reckon will happen and quickly too ?

58 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

What, like Ali vs Inoki? There's countless others, the likes of Ali and Tyson did loads of exhibition fights.

Bit before my time. Wasn't that one discipline against another and both were qualified at the highest level of their sport.  Can the fella from UFC use leg kicks ? 

Wasn't the recent Tyson/ Roy Jones exhibition described as like two uncles squabbling at a barbeque.

It's a load of old crap .  Pay for it if you like though. Up to you.

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

And yet the guy's never even held a belt, let alone defended it. 

Not entirely sure why this is relevant tbh.

It’s a boxing match, not an MMA fight. 

I haven’t tried to claim Woodley is a bad fighter, just a boring one, the same way as I found Pep’s Barcelona incredibly boring to watch. 

He has come off the back of 4 defeats though, barely thrown a punch and closing on 40 years old. No longer in his prime, doesn’t even look like his heart is in it now.

My prediction is, he will walk in the ring, do the minimum amount of work to try and defeat Paul, go cash his cheque and that will be that.

These fights are ruining boxing, would love to see someone just walk him down, pummel him with punches to say enough is enough. 

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

It's a load of old crap .  Pay for it if you like though. Up to you.

There's some great websites about that may or may not show boxing fights without paying for them...

I can however say that paying £2 a month for DAZN has been a great purchase. Got to watch the Canelo vs BJS fight, Canelo vs Smith, GGG recent fight and many more. Which full replays on straight after the fights too. £2 a month is a great deal.

30 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

There's some great websites about that may or may not show boxing fights without paying for them...

I can however say that paying £2 a month for DAZN has been a great purchase. Got to watch the Canelo vs BJS fight, Canelo vs Smith, GGG recent fight and many more. Which full replays on straight after the fights too. £2 a month is a great deal.

£2 a month is very good deal for proper fights I agree.  If you get the pantomime drivel as an extra I suppose it's up to the watcher whether to bother.

33 minutes ago, David said:

Peter Schmeichel agrees, as did Samuel Umtiti.

I’ll take those opinions over someone that drinks fruity cider. 

Umtiti was talking about the City team, not the Barcelona team.

Show me 1 ex pro who found that Barcelona team boring and I'll show you 5 who say they were one of the best footballing teams in history.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

16 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Umtiti was talking about the City team, not the Barcelona team.

Show me 1 ex pro who found that Barcelona team boring and I'll show you 5 who say they were one of the best footballing teams in history.

You’re confusing best with boring. You can be the best and still boring. Look at Tyron Woodley.