Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

20 minutes ago, Andicis said:

AJ tried to outbox Usyk, and that was never going to work. He should have been using his strength and power advantage. Fair play to Usyk, fought amazingly tonight. 

Outbox him? Really? He hardly got a glove on him. That's the problem for the rematch - all well and good saying AJ needs to press him and assert himself, I think that was pretty much what he was trying to do but Usyk is just too good on his feet to let that happen.

Just now, BaaLocks said:

Outbox him? Really? He hardly got a glove on him. That's the problem for the rematch - all well and good saying AJ needs to press him and assert himself, I think that was pretty much what he was trying to do but Usyk is just too good on his feet to let that happen.

I said he tried to. Not that he did it? 

I hardly think he tried to assert himself, there was no point in the fight he really let his hands go. 

Just now, Beetroot said:

Anyway unless Wilder lands one of his mega bombs in his next fight then I can't see anyone bothering Fury?

I dunno with Fury really. There was a legitimate chance he could have lost a doctor stoppage to Otto Wallin. He's had his wobbles. 

Fascinating now for the division - you can't see Wilder getting within five feet of Usyk, Fury is the one who might just be too big and too ring smart for him. But again, if Usyk moves like he did tonight who's going to get enough leather on him to win the rounds?

BTW - I did think AJ would do it tonight but it's been clear for a while that Usyk was a massive threat. This from two years ago.

image.thumb.png.6883cec9ceafa68cf7d5b56b2832306c.png

He might as well have come in at 16st. He has weight, height, reach and power advantage and spent all night trying to box. 

I wanted to see more jabs to the chest from AJ. The chest doesn't move. Pin Usyk. 

He also should be looking to tie up more often. Use that weight. 

And twice Usyk looked shaken and hid it behind behind unusually wild swings. But he never followed it up

The fight went exactly as I thought for 7 rounds and I thought any minute now AJ is going to start throwing. Coincide pressure with Usyk feeling the extra weight last 5 rounds of a HW fight he should be piling it on  

Instead he fought clean. He tried to jab the head and work from there. Terrible game plan.

Usyk boxed great. Changes height, angles and distance at will. Controlled the fight. Responded well to being knocked by getting busy and buying himself time and control of the ring. 

3 hours ago, Rev said:

How on earth was that given to Hatton???

I actually think that was the worst decision I have seen on a big fight card. Absolute robbery, the only think I thought was that Martinez was pretty much told before there was no way he was going to win the fight - such was the calm with which he took what was an absolute robbery of it all.

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

He might as well have come in at 16st. He has weight, height, reach and power advantage and spent all night trying to box. 

I wanted to see more jabs to the chest from AJ. The chest doesn't move. Pin Usyk. 

And twice Usyk looked shaken and hid it behind behind unusually wild swings. But he never followed it up

The fight went exactly as I thought for 7 rounds and I thought any minute now AJ is going to start throwing. Coincide pressure with Usyk feeling the extra weight last 5 rounds of a HW fight he should be piling it on  

Instead he fought clean. He tried to jab the head and work from there. Terrible game plan.

Usyk boxed great. Changes height, angles and distance at will. Controlled the fight. Responded well to being knocked by getting busy and buying himself time and control of the ring. 

You were tonight, I think.

What did you make of the ground/occasion?

Just now, Alpha said:

Joshua never leans on anyone. His clinches are weak. With his weight advantages, surely he has to lean in? He never used his reach advantage. He let Usyk fight in the pocket in front of him. Never used the strength and power advantage he had. Even when he was behind, he never made the decision to throw caution to the wind. The strategy was poor.

As you say, Usyk was brilliant. Boxed perfectly, gave Joshua all kinds of trouble. 

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

The 7th round was pivotal - AJ came back into it in six and seven but the Usyk came back and that seemed to break Joshua. By the end he had that rather 'what's going on' look about him. I respect him totally for testing himself against the best, he could have ducked this fight for the big payday but he didn't because he wants to have the big fights. But I really struggle to see much different that AJ could do in a second fight that would reverse the decision.