Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

This is why boxing, that's such a great sport inside the ring, will never get the crowd it deserves. 

If fans are fed up of this nonsense how can a casual follower get sucked in. 

Someone will feck up. This fight will never happen now. Not with them both champions 

On 23/05/2021 at 12:05, 86 Hair Islands said:

So Josh Taylor did the business against the previously undefeated Jose Ramirez and is now one of only 5 fighters to have unified a division in the 4 belt era. Calling out Terence Crawford for a fight in Edinburgh Castle next.

Fair play son, fair play! ?

He's great to watch too isn't he. 

He has everything. He's fast, his fitness levels are insane, he's got a real nastiness to him, he's got so many dirty little tricks and if you want to fight him clean then well, he's an Olympic boxer. 

He's really proven himself too. Regis Prograis and Ramires are two brutal fighters. And when the going got tough Taylor sucked it up and fought fire with fire. 

I wouldn't bet against him vs anyone.

16 minutes ago, Alpha said:

He has everything. He's fast, his fitness levels are insane, he's got a real nastiness to him, he's got so many dirty little tricks and if you want to fight him clean then well, he's an Olympic boxer. 

He's really proven himself too. Regis Prograis and Ramires are two brutal fighters. And when the going got tough Taylor sucked it up and fought fire with fire. 

Yeah, he's really exciting. Not sure if you saw the fight or not but he dropped Ramirez twice, both times with single shots and they were things of beauty in a kinda brutal fashion, obvs!

Chip off the Ken Buchanan block I'd say and doubtless the pride of Scotland just now and rightly so.

I wonder if Crawford will fancy it? 

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

I'd fancy him against Pacquaio, at the stage of his career, but when names like Crawford and Lopez get mentioned we need to remember these are potentially top ten of all time at their weight levels. It's not to say he won't, or can't, but they are already assured hall of fame level boxers - if he can come out top against them he's going to be able to rightfully claim himself as one of the best British boxers of all time. Super exciting to have someone from these shores who we can even think might be able. Gervonta Davis is another one who he'd need to be right on his game to beat. 

5 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Yeah, he's really exciting. Not sure if you saw the fight or not but he dropped Ramirez twice, both times with single shots and they were things of beauty in a kinda brutal fashion, obvs!

Chip off the Ken Buchanan block I'd say and doubtless the pride of Scotland just now and rightly so.

I wonder if Crawford will fancy it? 

Yeah I saw it. And the best things about those knockdowns was they were done when fighting Ramirez's fight on the inside. 

I love the way Taylor works on the inside. He's not super clean and it annoys me that some boxers want a clean punching contest. It's a fight! Enforcing rules is a refs job. I like some of Taylor's dirty work. He's what? 17/18 fights in but he's not naive

2 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

I'd fancy him against Pacquaio, at the stage of his career, but when names like Crawford and Lopez get mentioned we need to remember these are potentially top ten of all time at their weight levels. It's not to say he won't, or can't, but they are already assured hall of fame level boxers - if he can come out top against them he's going to be able to rightfully claim himself as one of the best British boxers of all time. Super exciting to have someone from these shores who we can even think might be able. Gervonta Davis is another one who he'd need to be right on his game to beat. 

Isn't Pac lining up to face Errol Spence? 

I can only see Spence winning that now. 

I hope Taylor gets these names within his next 10 fights or so. I think he could trouble Crawford. Be a tough ask to get a win and he'd probably need a knockdown or stoppage. Outboxing Crawford over 12 rounds might require a few big fight experiences. 

I'd love anyone to flatten Gervonta Davis. Not seen much of him in a while. Thought he looked promising but then so did Broner. Seem similar characters?

27 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I hope Taylor gets these names within his next 10 fights or so. I think he could trouble Crawford. Be a tough ask to get a win and he'd probably need a knockdown or stoppage. Outboxing Crawford over 12 rounds might require a few big fight experiences. 

I'd love anyone to flatten Gervonta Davis. Not seen much of him in a while. Thought he looked promising but then so did Broner. Seem similar characters?

Yeah, Pac / Spence is happening and I think Taylor could legimately challenge the winner (be interesting to see if Spence is fully recovered from his accident). Davis looked pretty manacing against Walsh but he's now facing a possible seven years in prison for leaving the scene of an accident and seems to have a slew of run ins around violence and abuse trailing him. He seems a very unlikeable person, but apparently has had a really harrowing upbringing.

Crawford and Lopez are the two that he would either be better off avoiding or, depending on his mindset, cementing his legacy around. They both look like names we will still be talking about in thirty years time. Not sure yet if Taylor is really in that sort of league, wouldn't it be great if he was?

Edited by BaaLocks

24 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Yeh, Pac / Spence booked for August. Spence will be a big favourite but who knows against a warrior like Pac. Pac wasn't supposed to be winning against Bradley, Broner or Thurman as I recall.

Either way, seems unlikely he'll be fighting Taylor. If he loses then it's off to become President. If he wins, the match up they then want is Crawford and then he's off.

If Crawford is the guy then like you, I fancy Taylor to give him a way harder night's work than the likes of Khan and Brook. Big step up from Ramirez of course, but the lad doesn't seem to fear anyone. Whatever the combos, there's some really good fights to be made, for sure.

4 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Yeh, Pac / Spence booked for August. Spence will be a big favourite but who knows against a warrior like Pac. Pac wasn't supposed to be winning against Bradley, Broner or Thurman as I recall.

Either way, seems unlikely he'll be fighting Taylor. If he loses then it's off to become President. If he wins, the match up they then want is Crawford and then he's off.

If Crawford is the guy then like you, I fancy Taylor to give him a way harder night's work than the likes of Khan and Brook. Big step up from Ramirez of course, but the lad doesn't seem to fear anyone. Whatever the combos, there's some really good fights to be made, for sure.

I backed Thurman to beat Pac. After slump in performances he seems to have bounced back! 

I'm not sure why he wants to continue being punched in the head but he puts many to shame with his discipline. 

13 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I backed Thurman to beat Pac. After slump in performances he seems to have bounced back! 

I'm not sure why he wants to continue being punched in the head but he puts many to shame with his discipline. 

Proper warrior and a hall of fame type fighter for me. Such a shame that when he finally got his shot at Mayweather he was basically fighting with one arm. All the BS around that fight still rankles with me now.

Just now, 86 Hair Islands said:

Proper warrior and a hall of fame type fighter for me. Such a shame that when he finally got his shot at Mayweather he was basically fighting with one arm. All the BS around that fight still rankles with me now.

Yeah same. 

It felt dirty

Ok, so it's another joke fight but actually I'm ok with this one. Jake Paul has signed a contract to fight Tyron Woodley and that's a big, big mistake IMO. Woodley ain't no Ben Askren, who was an Olympic winning wrestler and ace grappler, but has literally zero striking skills. Woodley was one of the finest strikers in UFC and if he connects, motormouth is going sleepy night-nights end of. Still not worth a PPV but a sneaky stream? Hell yeah! 

It's fair to say that Woodley lost his focus towards the end of his UFC career and this is his boxing debut, so it's easy to see why Team Paul think they have a shot, but honestly, I think they are in a for a horrible, horrible shock. The gravy train end here for my money.

25 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Ok, so it's another joke fight but actually I'm ok with this one. Jake Paul has signed a contract to fight Tyron Woodley and that's a big, big mistake IMO. Woodley ain't no Ben Askren, who was an Olympic winning wrestler and ace grappler, but has literally zero striking skills. Woodley was one of the finest strikers in UFC and if he connects, motormouth is going sleepy night-nights end of. Still not worth a PPV but a sneaky stream? Hell yeah! 

It's fair to say that Woodley lost his focus towards the end of his UFC career and this is his boxing debut, so it's easy to see why Team Paul think they have a shot, but honestly, I think they are in a for a horrible, horrible shock. The gravy train end here for my money.

I like it. Ben Askren had no stand up whatsoever, and that gave Jake an ego. Woodley will ducking murder him. This is the end for Jake Paul. 

1 hour ago, David said:

Woodley has been one of the most boring fighters in the UFC, don’t expect this to be an entertaining fight.

Nate Diaz, get him in the ring with Jake Paul, doubt it would go past 2 rounds.

Eh? Tyron Woodley was middleweight world champion for time and is a far more destructive and accomplished boxer than Diaz. Diaz is not even renowned for his striking ability.

Let's be serious here, one is a soon to be Hall of Famer and the other is a mobile punchbag who has never even won a belt. He's also a welterweight and would be conceding around 20lbs to Paul were the two to fight, based on their last respective weigh ins.

As a reminder, here's Tyron being 'boring' as he absolutely dismantles bums like Kim, Hieron, Till, Koscheck and Lawler, some of which were actual world title fights.

9 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Eh? Tyron Woodley was middleweight world champion for time and is a far more destructive and accomplished boxer than Diaz. Diaz is not even renowned for his striking ability.

Let's be serious here, one is a soon to be Hall of Famer and the other is a mobile punchbag who has never even won a belt. He's also a welterweight and would be conceding around 20lbs to Paul were the two to fight, based on their last respective weigh ins.

As a reminder, here's Tyron being 'boring' as he absolutely dismantles bums like Kim, Hieron, Till, Koscheck and Lawler, some of which were actual world title fights.

He’s also coming off the back of 4 defeats. 

There's a reason why Jake Paul is early favourite. Again, Woodley isn't known for his striking. 4 losses in a row, not training predominantly boxing. Jake Paul has done proper camps for over 2 years now and doesn't look that bad.

Edited by Jubbs

20 minutes ago, David said:

He’s also coming off the back of 4 defeats. 

Since Usman, yeah, already mentioned that. Fair enough, if you'd rather see Nate Diaz blocking 100 punches with his face, that's your call.

As for Dana White, gimme strength! Who's he ever fought? Dana only gives a poo about Dana and as long as he doesn't give a fig about fighter welfare, I (along with most of the fighters themselves) don't care whether he feels entertained or not. It's why the man is universally despised.

Fact is, Tyron isn't gonna be on his toes for Jake Paul and I'd lay good money to back up that opinion. Nate Paul would struggle to land a glove on a boxer, even one as mediocre as Jake Paul. Woodley, on the other hand, will take him apart.

We'll see what happens on the night I guess and I'll eat my humble pie if I'm wrong, no bother, but labelling a fighter like Woodley 'boring' is just plain disrespectful in my book, not to mention a tad daft.

30 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

There's a reason why Jake Paul is early favourite. Again, Woodley isn't known for his striking. 4 losses in a row, not training predominantly boxing. Jake Paul has done proper camps for over 2 years now and doesn't look that bad.

I'll take that bet buddy!