Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

Rewatching it now for the first time with a decent link and sober lol! 

Its easy on hindsight but AJ should have done a Wlad, jab, jab, grab! Hate it when boxers paw there jab constantly, specially the taller! Its ok in the first few rounds but snap ya jab ffs!

Aj boxes well in the 5th n 6th! Did usyk take a breather tho?

Usyks head movements quality!

Wish they had a translator for usyks corner!

The commentators on skys annoying!

Also, theres something off about AJs confidence! I wonder whether he has something going on, anxiety or something! McCrakens constantly shouting, brilliant aj etc! He looks rattled and he did for the ruiz fight!

McCracken was embarrassing. "Brilliant, AJ. Brilliant footwork. Lateral movement now, work off the jab and the right hand will come!"

Arrogance maybe? Get rid. He's got Joshua this far but at this point he's just taken too much away. Where's that nastiness gone? Why is he such a clean boxer? This isn't the Olympics. 

Work off the high jab? The one that's totally inaccurate? His accuracy was like 19% I think. 

At the time I thought Joshua was set on outboxing Usyk. But now I've watched Sky coverage and you can her Rob McCracken it's clear they either underrated Usyk or overrated AJ. 

All night trying to jab his head and work from that? Then never realising it was the power shots and the body shots that roughed Usyk up. 3 body shots actually got a reaction from Usyk. 1 was low but so what? Surely that's an accidental win

I dunno. Fowler v Smith soon isn't it? Don't like Fowler at all. Loved it when Fitzgerald smashed him

Edited by Alpha

8 hours ago, De22Ram said:

Also hats off to usyks concentration through the fight! Ill shut up now tho ?

And fitness. As always looks like he could do another 12 on his toes. Clearly has unshakeable confidence in his style and gameplan to get the job done. He only really broke his dance routine to try and end Joshua in the 12th. He was very clever with his workrate early and late in the fight

10 hours ago, De22Ram said:

It's easy on hindsight but AJ should have done a Wlad, jab, jab, grab! Hate it when boxers paw there jab constantly, specially the taller! Its ok in the first few rounds but snap ya jab ffs!

Usyk was inch perfect on distance and quicker on his feet. The only thing you get jabbing what is out of range is tired. This single point is why I don't think AJ can win the rematch, his only option is to swarm him and he didn't do that on the first fight because he knew he would get countered like he did in the first and third - one straight down the pipe, one round the side. Those two punches alone shattered his belief he could risk coming in. If he does that in the second fight, same result.

Edited by BaaLocks

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Where's that nastiness gone?

Exactly! I mean he may have been concussed and dazed straight after the fight but did you see his press conference? What was that about? You just got battered and lost your titles, he should have been fuming but it was all too nice! Talking about what a game of chess it was and how he learns and will improve! Seems odd to me! Maybe it was just for the media or thats his way of thinking and fair play he was similiar after the ruiz loss and came back and beat him but still, id have liked to have seen more emotion! Its similiar to his attitude in the fight too!

Like the end of the fight before the final bell, usyk had him against the ropes and was loading up and AJ was ducking and diving and fair play slipped most of the punches, he stuck his tongue out and looked really pleased with himself as he went back to the corner but this isnt sparring! This is a championship fight, you just lost and yet you seem pleased to slip a few shots! I dont know, his mentality seems odd, lack of passion seems harsh but i dont know, somethings off! Seems like shrink talk to me! Learn from things, improve, enjoying the journey etc! 

I mean fair play, if thats how he wants to look at his career, its a good outlook to have on life but im not sure thats the mentality to have if you want to be a successful world champion boxer, you got to have that nastiness, spite and fire in the belly! 

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

Usyk was inch perfect on distance and quicker on his feet. The only thing you get jabbing what is out of range is tired. This single point is why I don't think AJ can win the rematch, his only option is to swarm him and he didn't do that on the first fight because he knew he would get countered like he did in the first and third - one straight down the pipe, one round the side. Those two punches alone shattered his belief he could risk coming in. If he does that in the second fight, same result.

Tend to agree. Round 5 and 6 was his time and he let it pass. 

If he's not prepared to get KO'd then he's gonna box himself to a points defeat. 

He's gotta get wet next time if he wants those belts back. Will he? With Rob McCracken shouting brilliant 

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

Yeh maybe! He aint got the strongest of chins either i guess!

2 minutes ago, De22Ram said:

Exactly! I mean he may have been concussed and dazed straight after the fight but did you see his press conference? What was that about? You just got battered and lost your titles, he should have been fuming but it was all too nice! Talking about what a game of chess it was and how he learns and will improve! Seems odd to me! Maybe it was just for the media or thats his way of thinking and fair play he was similiar after the ruiz loss and came back and beat him but still, id have liked to have seen more emotion! Its similiar to his attitude in the fight too!

Like the end of the fight before the final bell, usyk had him against the ropes and was loading up and AJ was ducking and diving and fair play slipped most of the punches, he stuck his tongue out and looked really pleased with himself as he went back to the corner but this isnt sparring! This is a championship fight, you just lost and yet you seem pleased to slip a few shots! I dont know, his mentality seems odd, lack of passion seems harsh but i dont know, somethings off! Seems like shrink talk to me! Learn from things, improve, enjoying the journey etc! 

I mean fair play, if thats how he wants to look at his career, its a good outlook to have on life but im not sure thats the mentality to have if you want to be a successful world champion boxer, you got to have that nastiness, spite and fire in the belly! 

To be honest I think as he walked back to his corner there was nothing left of him. You could see the concern in his corner and he wasn't with it when Usyk went to him. Very hurt. 

I think he still has that nastiness but I genuinely believe since Klitschko dropped him, Tyson baited him with his "robot" taunts and Ruiz knocked him out that it's really just pushed Rob McCracken's Olympic style further to the focus of his training. 

McCracken never seemed to want to focus on AJ's power. Look back and his influence is all about the boxing. Which AJ has improved on and it will be great for his future. But he's stopped trying to set up anything other than the uppercut. He's not even counter punching like he used to. 

I just think he needs to get rid. Fury had to hunt down people to add to his game. AJ needs that too instead of losing what he is, a London bad boy with a nasty streak that turned to boxing. Can still be a role model outside the ring. 

AJ just feels like he is trained by numbers - the things he says in press conferences, the comments he apparently made in the dressing room after the fight about wanting to get straight back into training - it all feels like what he thinks he should be saying, how he should be thinking. Somewhere along the way he got lost and became almost the charicature of what a boxer should be - maybe for the benefit of the likes of Lynx and Lucozade but it happened.

Look, he's a great boxer and a worthy Champion - I'd still have him in the top three in the world at heavyweight, that's no mean achievement from a country that was boasting John L Gardiner, Horace Notice and Neville Meade as our national champions thirty years ago. It's amazing to think how British heavyweight boxing has grown in those times and AJ is only behind Lewis and Fury of heavyweights from these isles in my lifetime. But for all those kind words, he's - sadly - been found wanting at the very, very top level.

5 minutes ago, De22Ram said:

Maybe McCrackens better suited to training lower weight divisions, where boxing is more important! The heavyweight division is kinda unique! Must admit i dont watch much heavyweight boxing myself, prefer the lower divisions! 

Did you watch Eggington on Channel 5 the other week?

Best fight I've seen in quite a while. Not that Eggington is capable of a boring fight. What a guy