Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

Well, Tommy Fury did not win that fight. He certainly didn't win round 1. I had him losing 4 and even 2 could be seen either way

BT commentary had him cruising though. BT shows are laughable. People criticising Hearn shows should be forced to watch BT shows. 

And Daniel Dubois proved what a fat waste of blubber that drug addict Jarrell Miller is. Miller made Dinu look like Tyson Fury. 

Good on Dubois. Needs to get away from Warren. 

If Frank Warren managing a boxer is like Arsenal playing the likes of Shaktar and Genk all the way to the CL final and then meeting Bayern Munich. 

"He's ranked x with the WBO and x with the IBO"

Yeah, great. So he's fought ranked 20+ fighters to get a shot at a world champion. Great tactic for your boxers Frank. 

duck me that was even worse than I thought it would be ?

Logan Paul spent 6 and 1/2 of the 8 rounds trying to cuddle Mayweather to death. It was soooo bad it was actually funny. Fair play for lasting 8 rounds I guess, but that wasn't a fight, it a was a hug off. Another gazillion dollar payday for both though so a good night's work as far as they're concerned. Funniest of all was Jake Paul mouthing 3 to 2 (round score) after the 5th. I think LP landed about 10 shots all night! 

As for the supposed negative effect on boxing, at least fighters now know they can double their career earnings when they retire simply by finding a Generation YouTube gobshite to beat up ?‍♂️

10 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Is he crap then do you think?

More like doomed I think. He's gonna be fast tracked and in the spotlight. But he walks in straight lines. 

Warren will expose him to an opponent that will walk him onto a heavy knockout. I'd bet money on it. The times he walked backwards and leaned back. There's nowhere to roll with a punch like that. He's gonna take a full bang from someone. 

14 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

duck me that was even worse than I thought it would be ?

Logan Paul spent 6 and 1/2 of the 8 rounds trying to cuddle Mayweather to death. It was soooo bad it was actually funny. Fair play for lasting 8 rounds I guess, but that wasn't a fight, it a was a hug off. Another gazillion dollar payday for both though so a good night's work as far as they're concerned. Funniest of all was Jake Paul mouthing 3 to 2 (round score) after the 5th. I think LP landed about 10 shots all night! 

As for the supposed negative effect on boxing, at least fighters now know they can double their career earnings when they retire simply by finding a Generation YouTube gobshite to beat up ?‍♂️

How did it manage to be worse than expected? ? 

Fair play to them for not even making it look like a fight. At last some honesty between them 

3 hours ago, Alpha said:

How did it manage to be worse than expected? ? 

Fair play to them for not even making it look like a fight. At last some honesty between them 

You've answered you own question there buddy. It was basically along the lines of, LP drops hands and tries to look like Ali, FM punches him in the face, LP looks startled - duck that hurt, kinda thing - grabs FM for a 40 second cuddle while the ref desperately tries to separate them while saying 'let him go Logan, let him go' a dozen times. LP eventually lets go and gets punched in the face again. Repeat a few dozen times and there you have it, a $40 million 'fight'. The last 6 rounds LP was trying to un away when he wasn't hugging it out and in the background his idiot brother was screaming 'you're winning the 'fight'. It was the most 'surreal sporting event' I've ever seen. 

For good measure and after Canelo posted a solitary facepalm emoji, the idiot brother then responded with 'you can't sell PPV... I'd ducking eat you' which is kinda ambiguous if you ask me   ? 

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

7 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

You've answered you own question there buddy. It was basically along the lines of, LP drops hands and tries to look like Ali, FM punches him in the face, LP looks startled - duck that hurt, kinda thing - grabs FM for a 40 second cuddle while the ref desperately tries to separate them while saying 'let him go Logan, let him go' a dozen times. LP eventually lets go and gets punched in the face again. Repeat a few dozen times and there you have it, a $40 million 'fight'. The last 6 rounds LP was trying to un away when he wasn't hugging it out and in the background his idiot brother was screaming 'you're winning the 'fight'. It was the most 'surreal sporting event' I've ever seen  ? 

Sounds like Bruno - Tyson 1996.

12 minutes ago, Andicis said:

You'd have thought so but apparently it's managed to give a pretty poor boxer a career, so fair play to him! 

You're probably right buddy. To be fair, I kinda came to the same conclusion with Logan Paul. If I could hug Floyd for 25 minutes interspersed with a few punches in the face and clear $20 mill, I'd be all over it like a rash. As a consumeristic society, we've been hurtling to bottom for some time now and this is the irrefutable evidence. Well this and Love Island ?‍♂️?

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

Just now, 86 Hair Islands said:

You're probably right buddy. To be fair, I kinda came to the same conclusion with the Logan Paul. If I could hug Floyd for 25 minutes interspersed with a couple few punches in the face and clear $20 mill, I'd be all over it like a rash. As a consumeristic society, we've been hurtling to bottom for some time now and this is the irrefutable evidence. Well this and Love Island ?‍♂️?

The sport of boxing is just a bit of a joke these days. We never get to see the big fights because of politics, and instead have to watch circus acts.... 

UFC is a much better product now, title fights and top contender fights every weekend, rather than every 2-3 years. 

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

The sport of boxing is just a bit of a joke these days. We never get to see the big fights because of politics, and instead have to watch circus acts.... 

UFC is a much better product now, title fights and top contender fights every weekend, rather than every 2-3 years. 

Couldn't agree more. I feckin hate Dana White, but what he does do is make the fights that fans want to see. In all reality, I'm not sure he could stop them now as the thing has so much momentum now and I wouldn't want to argue with those guys anyway!

It's an open and transparent process...The big fighters call each other out and the fight gets made within a few months, no messing. I see some match-ups get made and think, 'hell no boy, you're going to get absolutely smashed' but 99% of them don't care and just want to get it on. Inevitably, some end up taking proper licks but there's respect among the fighters (at least after the event) because by and large, if you earn a shot, you get a shot, even if you do end up taking a beating. 

2 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Couldn't agree more. I feckin hate Dana White, but what he does do is make the fights that fans want to see. In all reality, I'm not sure he could stop them now as the thing has so much momentum now and I wouldn't want to argue with those guys anyway!

It's an open and transparent process...The big fighters call each other out and the fight gets made within a few months, no messing. I see some match-ups get made and think, 'hell no boy, you're going to get absolutely smashed' but 99% of them don't care and just want to get it on. Inevitably, some end up taking proper licks but there's respect among the fighters (at least after the event) because by and large, if you earn a shot, you get a shot, even if you do end up taking a beating. 

Certainly not a Dana fan either, comes across as a bit of a knob, but what he has built with the UFC is great.

Every weekend without fail I can check to see what the card is and see some fights I want to watch. Some of the best cards have 6 or 7 top fights on them before the main event. We actually get to see McGregor vs Poirier, rather than McGregor padding his record vs some loser with a 5-76 record. Also the 3 or 5 rounds of 5 minutes leads to such high action rather than the 12 rounds of boxing which usually begin with 3 rounds of nothing. 

The only downside are the wrestlers...

4 hours ago, Andicis said:

Certainly not a Dana fan either, comes across as a bit of a knob, but what he has built with the UFC is great.

Every weekend without fail I can check to see what the card is and see some fights I want to watch. Some of the best cards have 6 or 7 top fights on them before the main event. We actually get to see McGregor vs Poirier, rather than McGregor padding his record vs some loser with a 5-76 record. Also the 3 or 5 rounds of 5 minutes leads to such high action rather than the 12 rounds of boxing which usually begin with 3 rounds of nothing. 

The only downside are the wrestlers...

Agree with all of that but defend the groundwork piece. It's seldom enough to be a great striker. At the core of MMA after all, sits Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I agree that standard wrestling can appear a tad dull at times but the speed, precision and sheer artistry of the world class grapplers should also be appreciated. Check out the fights of the early exponents of BJJ, you'll probably find them more interesting than you think.

For me, it's not all about the strikes. I kinda like a watching fighters who can mix it up a little though I appreciate everyone has their personal preferences. Strike KO's and flat out ground and pound can be spectacular, but it's good to see some artistry in a fighter's work too. I think this is another of the reasons that MMA popularity is surging. There's something to please every fight fan in there and the perennial fan's debate over grappling vs striking will always remain valid and lively because unlike traditional martial arts, MMA is rapidly and constantly evolving.

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Ah, I was hoping he might stop Jake Paul.

To be fair, he'd flatten Jake Paul, but that's not really saying a lot. JP's 3 fights have been against a fellow YouTuber, an ex NBA player and Ben Askren who was a talented wrestler but has never boxed in his life. Fury is pretty limited but he's still a pro fighter and JP really isn't.