How much of a lead do you need?

Harry11

I saw someone write on the Twitter that they wanted Derby to get the second to calm the nerves.

Got me thinking. I reckon it takes me 4 goals before I get comfortable with a lead. I still have nightmares from the Leeds games in the late 90's.

Fingernails are shot most of the time.

Thoughts?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends at the stage of the game. Had we gone 2-0 up with 10 to play I still wouldn't have been confident.

Usually I'm only really comfortable if it's 3-0 with about 20 to play. It all depends what the performance is like. 3-0 at HT against Brighton was enough because they offered very little.

Agree with Joe, with this Derby team 2-0 will be enough 99% of the time.

That said, in years gone by it certainly hasn't been. Anyone remember the Derby 2-4 QPR? Was dreadful.

At 3-0 there is probably more chance of us grabbing more goals than the opposition mounting a comeback. Will all change if we make it to the Premier League though.

At the top level, we will need to learn how to win tight games and win by the odd goal.

Depends of my age. Before one was enough, but today, at the age of 35, it wasn't. I may need more than two when getting older.

I'll die watching Derby, that I'm sure about. Heart attack is inevitable, hopefully it's meaningful game at least.

Any time we are two goals ahead, I'm not nervous at all. 

As soon as that lead is reduced to one, the nerves kick in. The other team will have the momentum if they score and are more likely to go on and equalise than we are to regain our 2 goal buffer.

Today was pretty tense due to the close nature of the game but also because it was a great chance to put us into automatic spots.

With this team, I'm normally pretty relaxed at two, but three is a certainty. Today, I was actually fairly relaxed until the red card, as I felt we were in complete control. 

I agree there are games where they're winding down towards the end and you have a feeling whether a team will score or not.

Against Norwich I had a feeling from about 10 minutes to go that they'd score. Ipswich never really looked like scoring today, didn't stop my stomach being in knots though!

I only relax when we are two up regardless of how long has been played. When Eustace was sent off, I felt like going for a walk and then coming back in to see the score. I did not do that. The last that I did that, Man City scored two goals and won the Premiership. Fortunately I had got it recorded!

Archived