Derby County v Ipswich Town

PrivateDerby

Poor 2/3 of that game, we never looked the same since Hendrick's injury.

Ref was abysmal, and we let that get to us.

Keogh had a decent game, certainly no poorer than anyone else. Not understanding the amount of hate going his way at the moment. Buxton didn't look fit again. The arrival of Christie has meant Forsyth has stopped his marauding runs from left back, I think we're missing that. 

Midfield was poor again. Bryson seems to have gone into hiding. Eustace was showing his age in that second half - that said, I'd want him in there against Forest rather than Mascarell.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were poor today, despite a bright start. The ref was infuriating but we did give away far too many stupid fouls, not to mention an irregularly bizarre number of loose balls.

Thought Ward was our best player, but he also struggled at times when we seemed to lose our heads and give the ball away or stupid fouls.

Both teams had great chances for a second goal, but I wouldn't say either of us deserved one.

Any word on Hendrick?

Hendrick got a discolated shoulder. Probably out for 6 to 8 weeks then

Gonna try look at the game from a reasonable standpoint here. I think overall we had a terrible game, in fact, I'm struggling to pick anything out that could be taken as a positive. 

Forsyth for one I think stood out to me as the worst performer. Looked slow, didn't get forward and when he did he gave it away. Ipswich did well though and you can't take that away, snuffed out our chances and stopped us breaking down the wings as we like to do.

Ward put in a terrible performance too. He doesn't react well to the fans getting at him at all. I think we showed our frustrations too much and it put the players off their game. The referee frustrated us, but we need to get behind the team in the future rather than on top of them. I had a guy next to me screaming the whole game everytime we lost the ball like every single attack he expected us to score... Incredible.

Sometimes with those dislocated shoulders they can keep popping out afterwards unless they have an operation I believe, some try to carry on but it often means  they have to be put back in again at certain times though probably the timescale is longer if you have an op to cure the problem?

All the screamers round me were too busy giving it to the ref to moan at the players. Fozzy seems to have lost confidence, hopefully the break with Scotland will do him some good. Keogh looked our best player today.

I've spoken about Bryson and taking responsibility when we're not playing well, and again, he was pretty anonymous second half.

Most of the side had a stinker in the second half, and we need to work out how a Mick McCarthy side played us off the park.

Thought Eustace was not the answer today, at all. He didn't give Buxton or Keogh enough of an outlet, meaning they had to play loads of risking balls to players with Ipswich players right on their backs. I would have like to see Mascarell there - he's always open for the pass. He plays a little too deep sometimes but that's what we needed in the second half, because we were way too flat in midfield.

Hendrick being injured was a blow. When the Mac talks about midfield balance being so key, there it was for us all to see...

The referee was TERRIBLE. Everything went their way, and every free-kick had to be taken on the exact blade of grass. It made the game bitty and that, combined with the injuries, played into Ipswich's hands.

Having said that, Ipswich surprised me and could have won it, but we still should have beaten these. This is the first result I'm really disappointed with this season.

Poor 2/3 of that game, we never looked the same since Hendrick's injury.

Ref was abysmal, and we let that get to us.

Keogh had a decent game, certainly no poorer than anyone else. Not understanding the amount of hate going his way at the moment. Buxton didn't look fit again. The arrival of Christie has meant Forsyth has stopped his marauding runs from left back, I think we're missing that. 

Midfield was poor again. Bryson seems to have gone into hiding. Eustace was showing his age in that second half - that said, I'd want him in there against Forest rather than Mascarell.

Spot on. Last season Mac made Wisdom sit in so we were not exposed at the back. This season it seems its Forsyth's job to sit in and Christie to maraud forward. Not as effective at the moment it seems. 

The Hendrick injury changed the game today - he was having a good game, Hughes came on and was largely anonymous.

Christie started well but had a very shaky last 20 minutes. Forsyth thought we were playing in blue. Both centre halves were very good - Keogh struggled to deal with Murphy in the air but his distribution and covering for teammates were both superb today.

Midfield simply overran. Eustace was our best midfielder but he can't do it all on his own.

Ward was mustard first half, involved in everything. Second half he struggled more. Russell - well, it just didn't come off for him today.

Chris Martin - where would we be without him. No protection today whatsoever from the ref - I dread to think how many bruises he'll have come Monday morning.

Ref and his linesman over on the East Stand side were absolutely pathetic.

All that said, it's another point in the bag. We're in 7th place as things start taking shape, still unbeaten at home and with the 2 new signings now having a fortnight to work their way into things on the training ground.

Nobody expected this to be a walk in the park this season - we're not the surprise package any more.

Not going to panic as Ipswich are a bogey team for us, but our defence today looked incredibly shaky today. We can't play well every week so a point is ok and we can concentrate now on forest.

Grant - Busy second half and made some good saves and commanded his area well played well.

Christie - Struggled abit defensively today but going forward did well

Keogh - Don't understand the abuse he's getting was our best defender today played well.

Bucko - Struggled today imo gave it away quite abit doesn't look fit to me.

Forsyth - Poor today gave it away a lot and didn't get forward as much as we are used to why?

Russell - Struggled abit and gave away too many free kicks.

Hendrick - Was playing well full of energy hope his injury isn't a bad one.

Eustace - Good first half but was skinned far too much second half.

Bryson - Played ok not in full flow yet it will come hopefully against Forest.

Ward - Had a very good game again looks a threat and full of energy.

Martin - Good hold up play and another goal glad he's signed for 4 more years.

Best - Was a handful when he came on he offers something different, should have scored a header though.

Dawkins - Played well when he came on he's definitely a impact player.

Hughes - Was poor today didn't influence or control the game, the game changed when Hendrick went off.

First time, other than Wembley, that I have seen us fail to win in a long time. I'd agree with much of what is being said by others on the game, although there is a little bit too much gloom around in my opinion. Some players were well off top form today, but the thing we missed most was a bit of luck. Can't really grumble as we have had a fair bit of it recently, but there were a few times today when it just wouldn't fall. One fantastic piece of Martin/Bryson interchange around the edge of their box, late on, was a classic example - so many times recently it would have fallen for one of them to score but today it just didn't. For me, the referee was poor, but again we were perhaps just unlucky that more of the incorrect decisions didn't go our way.

For all the pre-match talk of a strong bench, the late subs didn't quite have the wow factor to strike fear into the opposition. Dawkins and Best are not really game changers at the moment - last season the late subs /switch to 424 used to inspire crowd and players alike, it seemed. With any luck Ibe will give us some of that again. I suspect that SM will want to play Shotton somewhere at the City Ground - hard to say whether it will be to replace Eustace, Christie or a CB though.

Worst of all, I am now three games into my new season ticket seats after a change of stand. The guy next to me and his mate have already given me enough ammunition to fill the "stupidest thing you have heard at a football ground" thread ten times over. My favourite today was a reply to his pal which went "they're too busy b*****ing around passing it to each other, that's why". Heaven only knows what the original question was. He has that unbelievable annoying habit of talking constantly and contradicting himself every few seconds, so that whatever happens he can claim he predicted it. Not sure I can last until Christmas without drastic action, let alone make the end of the season.

Archived