Derby County v Ipswich Town

PrivateDerby

True, but we lost to both Leicester and Burnley in those opening games. We haven't played anyone yet that I think will finish above/near us.

What stopped us from automatics last year was the fact that Leicester and Burnley ran away with it. Didn't Burnley actually have the highest points total ever for 2nd place? Most years, our points total from last year would have been enough for 2nd, but wasn't to be...

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But we'd played the top 2

We might have done this year as well, we won't know that until a few months time. 3-0 at home to Burnley spelled out unmitigated disaster when it happened, but that was downgraded to "mild annoyance" a few months later when we realised Burnley were actually going to be contenders.

In two weeks time, we're going to have played the top of the league team as well.

What stopped us from automatics last year was the fact that Leicester and Burnley ran away with it. Didn't Burnley actually have the highest points total ever for 2nd place? Most years, our points total from last year would have been enough for 2nd, but wasn't to be...

We definitely would have got automatic the year before. We have a great opportunity, at Forest, to make sure no one runs away from us. If we lose, we regroup and go again. Still 41 games to go

Think I remember reading we got more points than Cardiff did the season before?

Think I remember reading we got more points than Cardiff did the season before?

They got 87 and we got 85, but close enough. Hull got 79 points the season before finishing 2nd so 85 points would have been comfortably automatics that year.

The season before was a notoriously difficult league where 6th place had 75 points, which is a staggering amount for 6th place. 85 points would actually put you 4th that year.

The year before, 2nd place had 84, so 85 would have been enough that year.

Before that, WBA had 91 points in 2nd place.

So really, we happened to get such a high points total in the wrong year. If it follows any sort of pattern though, we won't need so many points this year  :lol:

That goal is horrendous - Christie has been caught flat-footed and Keogh's rolling around on the floor.

It's worked a treat for them, they had players lining up to score.

Eustace is on the floor falling all over the place in the RB area and Christie doesn't jump at all and his man scores.

Too quick to blame Keogh aren't you.

Keogh and Bucko in same area marking other players.

Wardy gave away stupid free kick in a dangerous area.

We need to defend set pieces better though.

Eustace is on the floor falling over and Christie doesn't jump.

Too quick to blame Keogh aren't you.

Sorry, I thought it was Keogh. Nevermind, whoever it was, it was shocking. 

It's allowed them to double up on the back post, a clearly well executed tactic. Eustace really was sh*te yesterday though, perhaps that was the difference to Fulham. 

Sorry, I thought it was Keogh. Nevermind, whoever it was, it was shocking.

It's allowed them to double up on the back post, a clearly well executed tactic. Eustace really was sh*te yesterday though, perhaps that was the difference to Fulham.

Eustace is not the answer for 90 minutes in the holding role week in week out he's ok for 45 minutes now and again .

I wouldn't play Eustace against Forest I'd have Mascarell or Shotton in the DM and Hughes in the Hendrick role.

Eustace is not the answer for 90 minutes in the holding role week in week out he's ok for 45 minutes now and again .

I wouldn't play Eustace against Forest I'd have Mascarell in the DM and Hughes in the Hendrick role.

Me too, I don't really see what Eustace offers to be honest. We just seem like a better team with him in there, I'm not sure why and it's something I'd like to see us get over ASAP. 

Me too, I don't really see what Eustace offers to be honest. We just seem like a better team with him in there, I'm not sure why and it's something I'd like to see us get over ASAP.

Steves been listening to too many saying Eustace should be in when he has Hughes /Mascarell and Shotton who we hope can play that role.

Eustace flattered to deceive against a very poor on the day Fulham side.

I'm sorry but Eustace legs have gone for a 90 Minute game in that demanding role.

PS I don't say he's the only problem yesterday though we had a few not on their game like Forsyth and dare I say it Bucko.

Christie was poor defensively but good going forward and Wardy also lost his head 2nd half as well.

Still could of knicked it though

Onwards and upwards.

Shame about Thorne and now Hendrick.

Steves been listening to too many saying Eustace should be in when he has Hughes /Mascarell and Shotton who we hope can play that role.

Eustace flattered to deceive against a very poor on the day Fulham side.

I'm sorry but Eustace legs have gone for a 90 Minute game in that demanding role.

PS I don't say he's the only problem yesterday though we had a few not on their game like Forsyth and dare I say it Bucko.

I didn't think many played well yesterday.

Grant - did all he could.

Forsyth - looked to be taking decisions to lightly and lost the ball too many times.

Keogh - Bottled it in aerial battles - in fact he won just one all game according to OPTA - passing was good though, but he looked piss weak going man to man.

Buxton - won his battles, but lost the ball through careless errors. 

Christie - easily our best player until their goal and a clamitous last 20.

Eustace - poor.

Bryson - poor.

Hendrick - added steal, Hughes - I thought did okay but offered little.

Ward - best first half his produced in about a year; poor second.

Russell - seemed to be behind the pace of the game.

Martin - our MOTM, he had an exceptional first half, quiet second. 

That's how I saw it anyway. Buxton had a pass accuracy of less than 80% for the first time in these last two seasons. 

Archived