Ward re-signs

Albert

I admittedly am a newer Derby fan so I have not watched or seen Ward play as much as everyone else and taking peoples word on here.I have seen him play some this season and some last season.From my perspective he has some skill but a majority of the time he doesnt seem to live up to it. He is a good winger when he wants to be and I am glad by this and hope he lives up to his skill this season and beyond.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll hold my hands up and say I was slating him for the majority of last season but for the last 10 games he was outstanding.

On his day he's very good, on a bad day, he's gash.  Problem is he doesn't really have an average setting, it's either one extreme or another.  Top of his game I'd have him in ahead of Dawkins but when he's off it, I wouldn't even have him on the bench...

Neither particularly pleased or unpleased about this, he may be in a bad run of form but I guess that doesn't mean he can't get back into his stride, but if McClaren thinks he's good enough then that's Good enough for me! Lets hope he bags some more goals for is this season then :D

You're my Jamie Waaaaaaaard

If another Championship club wants one of our players, then surely the player isn't good enough to be top two for us? I'm much more happy when I see Prem clubs linked to our players as that shows they are playing at a higher level.

All I ask for our fans is to take a look at a player and ask the question "Is this guy good enough for us to finish in the top two" - I personally think we are there with then of the players (Ward/Dawkins are the ones I genuinely don't believe are good enough - they are mid table players).

I'm completely behind Mackworth Ram here with his points. Does Ward give us the quality we need? Does he score enough, create enough and add to the team enough to make that difference. If you believe he does, then fair enough (If you believe he does, watch his set pieces lol) but I want to see the best we can get for the position we are in and fully believe there are better players out there.

When he first joined to be fair, he was lethal, especially in the 2012-13 season (when he was fit) he was our best player and looked a threat every time he was on the ball.

I accept that his overall form last season was poor but one bad season doesn't make a bad player. He could hit another purple patch for us again this season and start scoring regularly again. Last season he got 7 goals which for a winger not starting every game is a decent return.

If McClaren has faith enough in him to give him a new deal then he's obviously still got something to give.

I'm not buying this, he was a regular in the team that scored a league leading number of goals and got our record points total. 

He didn't stand out so much because he was surrounded by other players who stood out, but he remained and remains a threat to Championship defences. Can't understand the downer on him.

I'm not buying this, he was a regular in the team that scored a league leading number of goals and got our record points total. 

He didn't stand out so much because he was surrounded by other players who stood out, but he remained and remains a threat to Championship defences. Can't understand the downer on him.

Got to find misery somewhere...

Ward had a one goal in two games (via goals and assists) record last season and people say he's *****.

Forest just spent 2.5m on a player who had a record of around one in five games via goals and assists...

I admit, if we're going to improve our team we want to be looking at getting in better wide players. But they're not cheap, and for now, Ward is amongst the best we can get.

For those of you complaining, go and find me 15 players who have a beter goals/assists record than Ward in the Championship.

Looking around twitter, im not the only one disappointed.

Looking around here, the phrase "Opinions are like ********* - everyone has one" springs to mind - and the general response to your post castigating Ward seems to indicate that your opinion runs contrary to most.

So either nearly everyone else is wrong - or you are.

Also, looking to Twitter as a barometer for anything is unwise. 

Look up "Occam's Razor".

Jamie ward on his day is one of the best players in this league. Luckily under mc we dont have to rely on him as much which is probably why he is not rated as highly any more by some.

maybe #itk posters are better sticking with the off field activities if they cant see what he brings to the team

This may be just a prelude to a transfer. As someone said, hes a decent Championship player ... but decent championship players aren't going to get us into the PL.

I thought the second leg versus Brighton summed up what he is capable of when on form, involved in pretty much everything until he went off, and gave their right back (who had a huge advantage in size) an absolutely torrid afternoon.

Looks a bit heavy to me. Hope he really wants his place in the side and trains accordingly. This type of thing can give a player confidence or make them complacent. He has never struck me as a shirker but I just didn't think he looked match fit against Carlisle. Early days I know.

This may be just a prelude to a transfer. As someone said, hes a decent Championship player ... but decent championship players aren't going to get us into the PL.

...uh... 28 year olds don't tend to sign new contracts then get sold. This isn't football manager, you don't hand out new contracts to experienced players just to up their price, at least you normally don't see it.

Ward has been handed a new contract likely because he's one of our better wingers and has been important to the side.

Archived