Ward re-signs

Albert

A new two year deal:

Striker puts pen-to-paper on a new deal with Derby County.

Derby County forward Jamie Ward has today put pen-to-paper on a new two-year contract.

The 28-year-old Northern Ireland international will now be contracted with the Club until the summer of 2016.

He is the seventh player to commit their future to the Club since the start of July, following in the footsteps of Jeff Hendrick, Craig Forsyth, Jake Buxton, Will Hughes, Craig Bryson and Mason Bennett.

Ward, who is one of the longest serving members of the Derby squad, played a key role in the side achieving a third place finish in the Sky Bet Championship last season and made 42 appearances in all competitions.

Head Coach Steve McClaren said:

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why are people so down on Ward? He has been excellent for us and has provided some very decisive moments in his Derby career.

OK - patchy of late ... but a useful and dangerous player nonetheless. 

I say it is good business by way of keeping the squad together.

Cannot for the life of me figure out how he has got a new deal? 

Really disappointed with this.

Good age, long been our most effective attacking player, carried us at times, and is now a more than capable rotation option for the wide positions, and will be handy whether in this division or the Premier League. No problem with a 2 year deal for him.

Jamie Ward:

Appearances: 114

Minutes: 8355

Goals: 28 (0.302 per 90 minutes)

Assists: 25 (0.269 per 90 minutes)

Those are very good numbers, and he has proven that even when things aren'g going well, he can create something, and even if he lacks some cutting edge here and there, has at times been our only creative outlet.

Compare those numbers by the way to:

Kris Commons:

Appearances: 80

Minutes: 5703

Goals: 21 (0.331 per 90 minutes)

Assists: 20 (0.316 per 90 minutes)

Not too far off from Jamie.

I can understand a new contract.

Why? Wards a fantastic championship player and offers something different to Dawkins and Russell. I'm happy he's signed a new deal

1. He's petulant.

2. He's not good enough.

3. He cant get past his man.

4. His attitude is awful.

5. He gives needless free kicks away in dangerous positions

6. His decision making is atrocious

7. He cant cross

8. He isnt going to get any better whatsoever.

9. Lost a yard of pace.

10. He probably has one good game in every 7 or 8.

11. He was awful for the most part of last season

How on earth someone can think "he has the potential to be one of the best wingers in the championship" is one of the most ridiculous comments I have heard in a while.

Hes never gonna improve. Infact he is getting worse.

There are so many better wingers out there and I just feel that this is a massive backwards step.

The main reason I wouldn't be upset if he went is that "You're my Jamie Waaaaaard" is the most embarrassing chant we do, BY FAR.

You get embarrassed by that?

Glad this has happened!

Think he will be use more as an impact player nowadays....

Now for Sammon shaking hands on a new 5 year deal...... ;)

Handy to have to bring off the bench and will always do a job. Can see him being used as a more rotational player but still handy to bring off the bench for the last 30 minutes and to play in cup games/against lesser opposition Russell/Dawkins needs a rest.

Archived